This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Conferences/retreats/seminars/etc

Aimee

Aimee Newbie

I am attending my first conference this month since being diagnosed and it's a huge pain to find out about food. Its being catered in, and there won't be an opportunity to leave to get food or to have access to a fridge and microwave. I may just tell them to not worry about it and bring rice cakes and peanut butter. I'm dreading it... the food at those things are always so good!

What do you do when attending those kind of events? Esp when they're out of town and you're "stuck" there? (working lunches, etc). Do you contact the staff ahead of time, have you found them to accomodating to your needs? Do you trust them?

I feel like such a thorn in their side... but on the other hand, I deserve to eat something too! I also feel like I've paid the same cost as others, and if I dont get the benefit of the meals and have to spend my own money on it, then I'm getting ripped off... Should I just get used to this now?

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest dlf1021

Aimee,

Thank you for asking this question! I actually have a similar question...my senior prom is in May and I've tried talking to the prom coordinator already about providing gluten-free food and haven't had much luck because, like most people, she has no idea what celiac disease is. I don't know if I should bother going, bring my own food, call the country club that's hosting the event or just eat before I go.

Sometimes it's just such a freaking pain to deal with this diet!

mannabbe Newbie

Aimee,

I've had a couple very different experiences with conferences. I do always call ahead and talk to the caterer or the hotel staff. There is always one person in charge of "special food" because of vegetarians, peanut allergy people, etc.

Ironically, I received horrible (but safe) food at a large conference facility outside of Portland, Oregon. I have two celiac coworkers, so we figured that since there are 3 of us they would take good care of us. The food was awful, but at least I didn't get sick.

A very small conference on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state, however, was a huge (positive) surprise. It was a very small facility, but the chef was very creative and made bread (even though I'm gluten-free, and dairy, egg & yeast free). I believe that in a moment of extreme emotion I may have actually proposed marriage to the chef.

I do still take my own food with me whenever I go to conferences. Calling ahead makes all the difference in the world. I wish you look with your conference!

Laurie

• 7 years later...
AZGirl Rookie

I think calling ahead is always worth a shot, but I ALWAYS have a back up plan. I usually bring my lunch bag packed with stuff I can eat. I had this issue recently. When I got there they "forgot" about my special salad. Good thing I brought my own tuna salad and lettuce. I find it's hard when I don't have access to a microwave though.

I must admit that I too miss Conference food... those little afternoon cookie and coffee trays can bring a tear to my eye. (JK!)

T.H. Community Regular

I've always brought my food to these things.

Many hotels will let you have a fridge in your room if you inform them that you need it for a medically restricted diet, most of the time free of charge. They also may let you keep your food in the hotel fridge for the same reason.

It's kind of crummy to only pack cold foods, but that's been the easiest for us, honestly. We did spinach and strawberries with a honey/peanutbutter/lime juice dressing that you whirl up in the blender, can thin it with water. Then fruits, nuts, and veggies on top of that. :-)

I think you might be able to discuss the money issue with the conference as you are not getting your money's worth, too.

cap6 Enthusiast

I still get embarrassed at bringing my own food and usually just stuff a sandwich in my purse. How do you manage it? When you bring a tuna salad - how?

Emilushka Contributor

I bring food in pyrex containers. I bring something like beans or edamame that won't require refrigeration. If there's a microwave, I'll heat up my food, but I try to bring something that will taste good cold. I just bring my food in a lunch box. I bring a fruit with it, and stuff my entree with veggies and fiber and protein so that I won't be craving cookies later in the afternoon.

I tend to avoid tuna because of the smell and the inevitable fishy breath that follows.

Don't be embarrassed. If you don't make a big deal about it, a lot of times people will ignore you. Or if they ask and then say, "Oh no, I'm so sorry! I feel so bad eating this in front of you!" I usually say something like, "Have an extra cookie in my honor."

Event planners are usually relieved to not have to worry about your food.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

Aimee,

Thank you for asking this question! I actually have a similar question...my senior prom is in May and I've tried talking to the prom coordinator already about providing gluten-free food and haven't had much luck because, like most people, she has no idea what celiac disease is. I don't know if I should bother going, bring my own food, call the country club that's hosting the event or just eat before I go.

Sometimes it's just such a freaking pain to deal with this diet!

We went to a local catered banquet that might be similar to having to deal with a prom dinner. I contacted the caterer and asked if I could supply them with a plate to be served with everyone else's. They were more than happy to do so. I just slipped it in the kitchen and talked to the head caterer at the event and told them where my son was sitting. When the meal was delivered his was brought out with everyone else's and no one was the wiser. I mostly matched his meal meal to what was being served, but it was an exact match.

Perhaps you could ask your mom or dad to bring the plate discreetly to the caterer. B)

Archived