5 replies to this topic

#1 Pegster

Pegster

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

I just attended a Thanksgiving Feast at the school where I teach. A corporation paid for the feast for our entire school and staff and all the teachers had to attend- the press was there and everything. The cafeteria lady was so good to me. My tray just had the turkey, corn and cranberries on it. The turkey was the processed roll sort of thing. I just got back from the grocery store where-- on a whim--I checked the ingredients of a turkey roll. Just as clear as can be..."Wheat Gluten" AAAAHHHH. Who would have thought it? Maybe they don't all have this in it, but here's the warning anyway!!! I learn something new every day.
PEGGY
Positive DH biopsy 4/19/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_PastorDave_*

Guest_PastorDave_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:41 PM

Butterball is out too!!! It's weird to have to read the ingredients when buying a frozen bird...I always thought it was just...um dead bird :huh:
It was cool though, tonight my wife and I found a turkey that was labeled as "gluten free" the food manufacturers are finally catching on!!!!!!!

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:30 AM

<_< turkeys have become so controversial in the forum---so pastor dave--what did you read on a turkey that shows wheat----an unstuffed turkey should only be injected with a saline solution and i know the butterballs i have seen and eaten were gluten-free--i am getting so confused about the turkeys :( i think i will have a baked potato with cheese and broccoli and forget the stupid bird :D i would rather have chicken anyways--deb :P
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 11:55 AM

BUTTERBALL IS gluten-free!!!! If you saw wheat in the ingredients look again, it's in the gravy packet, not the turkey. Butterball just recently confirmed that all their turkeys are gluten-free except the stuffed ones.

richard

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:04 PM

:D richard--i believe you--just joking--i have said all along that the turkeys are ok ;) i only eat the white meat, the dark always has bothered me--but, i do believe you :lol: deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 Melanie

Melanie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:08 PM

The butterball turkey says it is soaked in a solution that contains modified food starch, which I've been assuming is not gluten-free although I'm well aware that they all are not made from wheat. So why doesn't butterball list it as modified corn starch?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: