This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What The Heck?

moonmaiden

moonmaiden Newbie

I have been messed up with an ever-changing assortment of ailments over the years. Dx with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis about seven years ago (I'm sure I've had it for decades). I've suspected (off and on) that I have gluten issues.

I think I might have that "silent" kind that shows itself in autoimmunity. I have had stomach issues here and there too, and always thought it was a touch of IBS or something. Gastro stuff has never been my major problem - it's always been endocrine. Early menopause/infertility/thyroid/osteoporosis. I also suffered with scalp lesions for most of my adult life and it definitely cleared when I was gluten free.

Last March I quit smoking. Felt great for two days and then it was somebody slammed me through the floorboards. Dx with "Adrenal Issues" treated with hydrocortisone/thyroid meds. All kinds of issues ensued - intense bloating, weight gain, pain in my feet, legs. Horrible depression. This adrenal thing made sense to me because one autoimmune disease can lead to another and thyroid/adrenal tend to go together. I've since read that there's a connection between smoking and protection from adult celiac disease (?)

I was good gluten-wise only on and off. I was never really convinced that I had it.

I've weaned off the steroids and I'm on less thyroid meds thanks to a couple of weeks on anti-fungals - made the biggest difference so far. I've been gluten-free for about two months straight.

Here's the thing: The other day, I ate almost half a box of sugar-free Whitman's candies. I was so starved for something sweet.... I didn't realized that one of the ingredients was "wheat".

Well, I've been so sick for two days - it's incredible. This time it's my stomach big-time. I had all kinds of gas and diarrhea - spent hours in the bathroom the other night. Finally that resolved but I still have the abdominal pain and bloating - a nasty "full" sensation in my guts.

Is is possible to go from the silent kind of celiacs to full blown celiac after abstaining for a while?

I'm not real big on conventional medicine but I am scheduled for a blood test next month.

The doc told me that in order to test for celiac disease I'd have to load up on gluten -- I DON'T THINK SO...

Incidentally, my chiropractor muscle tested me and told me I have both a gluten intolerance and a parasite - I'm also scheduled to be tested for Lyme Disease. I spent five years as a plein air painter here in the beautiful (but tick infested) Hudson Valley - so it wouldn't surprise me.

You don't have to tell me -- I've learned my lesson -- from now on, I read every label.

Thanks for any input/sympathy/ideas/notions/advice

Sick and Crazy (not necessarily in that order)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

The blood work may very well be negative but it won't hurt to have the test if you want it done.

I've found that good practitioners as far as muscle testing can tell you what you need to know. Go off of gluten and continue with the lyme testing. Does your chiro or doctor us Igenex? If not, you'll want to order the paperwork from them. You'd need to have the blood drawn on M-W to be able to overnight it to them.

www.igenex.com is the website.

glutenfreeontario Newbie
Here's the thing: The other day, I ate almost half a box of sugar-free Whitman's candies. I was so starved for something sweet.... I didn't realized that one of the ingredients was "wheat".

Well, I've been so sick for two days - it's incredible. This time it's my stomach big-time. I had all kinds of gas and diarrhea - spent hours in the bathroom the other night. Finally that resolved but I still have the abdominal pain and bloating - a nasty "full" sensation in my guts.

I just wanted to mention that SUGAR-FREE candy/chocolate/cookies/drinks contain artificial sweeteners... which are known to cause digestive problems.

Sugar alcohols include: Xylitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, Isomalt, Maltitol, Lactitol... and others.

"...because they are not completely absorbed, they can ferment in the intestines and cause bloating, gas, or diarrhea. People can have different reactions to different sugar alcohols. Careful experimentation is advised."

Open Original Shared Link

If they don't have sugar alcohols, they most likely contain aspartame... which can cause a whole bunch of symptoms - including digestive ones.

I avoid artificial sweeteners... except in gum since the amount consumed is so small... and I'd rather not bathe my teeth in sugar :P

wowzer Community Regular

Glad to hear you quit smoking, I'm still working on that one. I know for me going gluten free, now if I accidentally consume it, I am much more sensitive. Definitely the body is saying I don't like this. I do think mine was set off because of auto immune. I have been on synthroid for close to 20 years. I am still working on the CC issues. I hope you are feeling better soon.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Is is possible to go from the silent kind of celiacs to full blown celiac after abstaining for a while?

Sick and Crazy (not necessarily in that order)

YES!!!!!! Absoposilutely! I used to have a two-day reaction to gluten, now it's thirty days.

debmidge Rising Star

Yup, just like prior poster stated....Advice: sugar-free candy has sobitol or some other unnatural sweetener. These sweetners cause diarrhea is some people. This could have contributed to your intestinal upset.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Why are they waiting a MONTH to do bloodwork? ??? Why didn't they do bloodwork two months ago?????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived