5 replies to this topic

#1 jdater

jdater

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:33 PM

I've been missing Thai food like nobody's business, and I was wondering what experiences people have had ordering it. Are there any dishes that are typically gluten-free? How easy is it to get something specially made? (Are there any safe Thai places in Boise?)
If the shoe fits, buy it!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Char

Char

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:00 AM

I've been missing Thai food like nobody's business, and I was wondering what experiences people have had ordering it. Are there any dishes that are typically gluten-free? How easy is it to get something specially made? (Are there any safe Thai places in Boise?)

My experience has been that it varies on the restaurant -- some places, for instance, puts soy sauce in their pad thai. I've generally had pad thai or curry without any problems.

#3 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:15 AM

I've had a lot of problems with Thai places here in Kona and decided to make what I could myself.
At one place Itried to explain to the waiter not to use any flour and he took the flowers off the table.
Every time I tried to go out I wind up getting glutened and am miserable for the next few days.
Good luck, hope you can find something

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 NJKen

NJKen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Different Thai restaurants prepare many of the same dishes differently. Soy sauce is not a common ingredient in true Thai food, but it is used a lot in certain Thai restaurants in North America to suit local tastes. The more traditional sauce is fish sauce, which is almost always gluten-free. (It should be made only from fish, salt, sugar, and water.) Oyster sauce is used in some dishes, and contains gluten. So--in whichever Thai restaurant you want to try, ask them which kind of sauce they use. You'll have to decide whether to trust that their fish sauce is safe, if that's what they use.

#5 alamaz

alamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

my mission last weekend was to order thai for the first time. i took my dining card which is written in english and thai and went to several restaurants to ask them if they could make something. and i went early - 4pm or so. one place was wishy washy so i walked out and finally found a place where the girl i spoke with couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. and i didn't get sick. so it is possible, go early, talk to the manager and show a dining card and order early. it worked for me and i swear it was the best meal i've had since March when I went gluten-free!!!
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007
Finally feeling better than ever!

#6 CaitlinK

CaitlinK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

I've had Pad Thai from my local Thai place many times without feeling ill effects. I've also had it at a place near my friend's house and felt fine. Pick up Stix has gluten free Pad Thai...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: