26 replies to this topic

#1 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys. Anyone hear of a commercially available gluten-free miso? I'm not sure I'll eat it (waiting for Enterolab on my soy thing), but since it is fermented, it's not BAD soy, like most of it. BUT...it's traditionally made from barley, so most companies make a barley variety, thus, in my mind, making their equipment unsuitable to make nonbarley kind w/o having any gluten in it.

Any thoughts?

Anyone make their own miso?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

I've never had problems with miso made from 100% daizo or with hacho miso from Nagoya. Usuallyhave to bring it from Japan though. Even here in Hawaii where there are many choices for miso I cant find one without mugi in it.

Hi guys. Anyone hear of a commercially available gluten-free miso? I'm not sure I'll eat it (waiting for Enterolab on my soy thing), but since it is fermented, it's not BAD soy, like most of it. BUT...it's traditionally made from barley, so most companies make a barley variety, thus, in my mind, making their equipment unsuitable to make nonbarley kind w/o having any gluten in it.

Any thoughts?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

I've never had problems with miso made from 100% daizo or with hacho miso from Nagoya. Usuallyhave to bring it from Japan though. Even here in Hawaii where there are many choices for miso I cant find one without mugi in it.

Any thoughts?

Japanese proverb

#4 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'm not quite ready to post on it but a friend made miso for me and is now in the process of ordering the koji for me. When it comes in she's going to give me the recipie and maybe teach me how to make it. It may be a while, but I'll post on it when I have more info to share. Sorry it's not more helpful right now.

I also bought quinoa miso in Japan from a company that specializes in products free of allergens. I don't believe that they ship to the U.S. but you can have it shipped to someone in country and then have them ship it to you. Not a viable option for most I'm sure.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#5 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

The quiona miso is not bad. Same place as quinoa soy sauce which is really good too.
In my 30's I had bottles of sake left at friends restaurants around Tokyo.
In my 40's I had bottles of shochu left at friends restaurants around Tokyo.
In my 50's I had bottles of gluten free shoyu and miso left at friends restaurants around Tokyo!
Times sure do change!

I'm not quite ready to post on it but a friend made miso for me and is now in the process of ordering the koji for me. When it comes in she's going to give me the recipie and maybe teach me how to make it. It may be a while, but I'll post on it when I have more info to share. Sorry it's not more helpful right now.

I also bought quinoa miso in Japan from a company that specializes in products free of allergens. I don't believe that they ship to the U.S. but you can have it shipped to someone in country and then have them ship it to you. Not a viable option for most I'm sure.

Japanese proverb

#6 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

We make miso with Shinshu Shiro Miso paste (bought at the Asian grocery, sold in little tubs or packets in the refrigerator section). The only ingredients are soybean, rice, and salt. We add to this a broth made from hon-dashi powder (ingredients: salt, msg, lactose, sugar, dried bonito tuna powder, disodium inosinate, bonito extract, yeast, extract, disodium succinate--lotsa chemicals, yuck, but no gluten).

If you want to skip the chemicals, you could use vegetable broth, or you could make shrimp shell broth: save the shells from when you shell your shrimp before cooking. Add them to 2 cups water and 1 cup rice wine, and boil til shells turn pink. Strain and enjoy.

#7 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:14 PM

Thanks all!

#8 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:19 PM

I believe chickpea miso is gluten free. Kind of hard to find though. I had to order it online and then I found that I don't like it.

#9 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:57 AM

I reread your original post, and saw that you said most miso is traditionally made from barley?

Does that refer to miso made from powdered mixes, or to the real thing? Most Japanese (people and restaurants) make miso from miso paste (which is fermented soybeans, rice, and salt), not from the powdered mixes And I haven't seen barley listed on miso paste ingredients--are they leaving it off the ingredient list?

#10 NewGFMom

NewGFMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:01 AM

I got some trader joes brand instant Miso soup and it definitely did not list barley on the ingredients, and theoretically TJ's will not hide barley.

Weird.

#11 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

I believe chickpea miso is gluten free. Kind of hard to find though. I had to order it online and then I found that I don't like it.

Well, that's my answer. I can't have soy either. I have a book with recipes that are supposed to avoid all the major allergens and it uses the chickpea miso. I've been unwilling to order the stuff without knowing what it is like.
McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#12 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

I reread your original post, and saw that you said most miso is traditionally made from barley?

Does that refer to miso made from powdered mixes, or to the real thing? Most Japanese (people and restaurants) make miso from miso paste (which is fermented soybeans, rice, and salt), not from the powdered mixes And I haven't seen barley listed on miso paste ingredients--are they leaving it off the ingredient list?

The koji(yeast) is OFTEN grown on barley and is NOT usually listed as an ingredient. So yes, they are leaving it off the ingredient list. You have to call or contact the company to find out. The miso itself is usually made with soybeans but some miso from certain regions of Japan has barley as an ingredient in the finished product and in that case it would show up on a label.

It is my understanding that MSG in some countries can be derived from gluten sources. On the Triumph dining cards for Japanese it lists MSG in the I Cannot Eat section. Miso is also listed in the I Cannot Eat section for the reasons above.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#13 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have not had Miso in a long time....

I do however use Bragg's Liquid Amino's not soy sauce.

good luck!
sickchick
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#14 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

The koji(yeast) is OFTEN grown on barley and is NOT usually listed as an ingredient.

But neither koji nor yeast are listed on the ingredient list.

#15 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

But neither koji nor yeast are listed on the ingredient list.

<a href="http://www.soya.be/miso-varieties.php" target="_blank">http://www.soya.be/miso-varieties.php</a>
Yeast is the easiest word that came to mind to translate "koji" but here's one place that explains the process. And yes koji is often not listed, at least in my experience.
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: