This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Frozen Food Suggestions

JustMe75

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Does anyone know of any gluten-free frozen foods? Preferably popular brands (found in grocery store)? I need some quick single serve meals for when I feel like giving in and eating normal food. I have 5 kids and I am the only one trying the gluten free diet so I still cook non gluten-free for them. I try to eat before I cook so I won't be tempted but sometimes I don't have a lot of time. I have been eating alot of chili and rice cakes, but getting kinda tired of um. I am not a very good "from scratch cook". I never realized I was such a picky eater until I tried going gluten-free but I only ate a few things and of course I can't eat any of them now.

I really appreciate this forum. I don't know how anyone ever did this without the support of the internet! I feel like I have a billion questions!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Does anyone know of any gluten-free frozen foods? Preferably popular brands (found in grocery store)? I need some quick single serve meals for when I feel like giving in and eating normal food. I have 5 kids and I am the only one trying the gluten free diet so I still cook non gluten-free for them. I try to eat before I cook so I won't be tempted but sometimes I don't have a lot of time. I have been eating alot of chili and rice cakes, but getting kinda tired of um. I am not a very good "from scratch cook". I never realized I was such a picky eater until I tried going gluten-free but I only ate a few things and of course I can't eat any of them now.

I really appreciate this forum. I don't know how anyone ever did this without the support of the internet! I feel like I have a billion questions!

You get four stars in my book **** for cooking for your family gluten meals. The transition to gluten free is so easy, it's hard to imagine.

I would hate it that you are depriving yourself good quality meals while you prepare dinner for your family. There are many recipes on this site that are easy and quick to prepare. Most are naturally gluten free. Check out the baking-recipe section.

Amy's makes some gluten free frozen entrees that are fairly good.

missy'smom Collaborator

Ore-Ida has a list of their products that are gluten-free on their website. Always read the labels though. Some mainstream grocery stores in my area are carrying gluten-free chicken nuggets and strips by a company called Allergy Free. They are good and very inexpensive so I can regularly feed them to my whole family. $2.99-$3.99 per bag.

Nutmegger Rookie

Glutino's frozen foods line is pretty good, but unfortunately, I've only been able to find it in Whole Foods.

Most of Open Original Shared Link's soups are gluten-free, but some do contain barley.

A lot of Birds Eye vegetable mixes are gluten-free, even some of the ones with sauces.

Although they weren't formerly mainstream, Amy's is found just about everywhere these days and has a lot of gluten-free options.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :/ There just aren't a lot of frozen, mainstream options out there...

buffettbride Enthusiast

We have tried the Glutino frozen mac n cheese and my daughter loved it. That must mean it is good because she loves my homemade mac n cheese and she said it was *almost* as good.

One thing we keep around for quick meals are either Kinnickinnick or Glutino pizza shells and just toss on some toppings and bake for about 10-15 minutes for a quick bite.

I also bought a bunch of chicken breast tenders, breaded and fried them, then froze them so I have a quick meals for when I'm feeling lazy or have to throw together a meal for my daughter on quick notice.

Annie Chung also has some rice dishes (a sticky rice and a brown rice) that are actually shelf-stable and microwavable we keep around as well. Goes well with the premade chicken strips. ;)

Our biggest challenge was finding the "fast food" that would work since *real* fast food is basically out of the question so I'm feelin' for ya.

ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm trying to find mainstream gluten-free easy meals too. I was just DX with gastroparesis too so I feel bad most days

Glutino frozen spinach and cheese pizza is very good..even hubby loves it..we add extra cheese

I email stouffers they said if gluten is in the product it will be on the list of ingredients, they will not hide it

Nutmegger Rookie

The mention of Stouffer's reminds me that Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken is, or at least used to be, gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cherry Tart Apprentice

Do you have a Trader Joes by you? If so they have many options for quick gluten-free meals (there's a gluten-free shopping list on their website). Shelton Farms has tasty healthy soups/chilli, all cleary labled on the front if they are gluten-free or not (most are). Amy's is great, they even have family portions of enchiladas (both varieties are gluten free). However, once you get more comfortable with the diet, I would recommend making all of the family meals gluten-free. Make things easier for yourself. I used to cook to separate meals and it was such a drag. Now I cook all gluten-free meals and my husband can't even tell the difference. There are so many things you can substitute for the gluten items these days. I've never really had an interest in cooking, but since going gluten-free I have been trying new things and have been pleasantly surprized how delicious simple, whole foods can be :) Good luck to you!

buffettbride Enthusiast
The mention of Stouffer's reminds me that Lean Cuisine Glazed Chicken is, or at least used to be, gluten-free.

Oooh. Good tip! I'll check that out next time at the store.

colorado Apprentice

Glutino's frozen meals are good, but tend to be low calorie. I think the ones with chicken have two tiny chicken strips and are only a couple hundred calories. Good if you are trying to lose weight, but not if you are maintaining or trying to gain.

I also found a brand called PJs (mexican entrees). Found them at Sunflower Market which is a subsidiary of Whole Foods. They don't keep a real selection. A few weeks ago they have some enchiladas, I bought beef and chicken both were great. Last week they had Tamales, chicken and pork, bought one of each have tried the pork so far. Very mild and was okay.

Amy's makes some good frozen meals too, they are all vegetarian, but the baked ziti is my favorite. I also like the Gluten Free veggie lasagna.

Right now I am enjoying Organic Bistro - Wild Salmon Open Original Shared Link, I found these at Sunflower Market, Whole Foods and I think even King Soopers! They are a little pricey, but are whole meals. Around 500 calories. I previously tried their Chicken Citron and it was great. All of their meals are Gluten and Dairy free. Looking at their site it appears they have some more offerings, I hope to see them on the shelves soon.

All of the above items are microwaveable as I pack them for my work lunches. Most of the frozen pizza options have to be oven cooked which hinders me at work.

For a family and cooking at home you have some flexibility. I also found some nice waffle fries in the organic/gluten free section at King Soopers. I can't recall the brand but they are awesome!

I think for the most part, all the family sized items of the national brands we all knew before we got diagnosed are out of the question if you want to be gluten-free.

On a side note, the whole foods by my house just moved all their gluten free dry foods into their own prominently displayed section and expanded their bakehouse selection by about 500%. We bought the pre-made brownies on an urge. $10 but boy were they good. I also tried their sandwich bread which so far is my favorite over Kinnickkinnick and Deby's.

VioletBlue Contributor

If you can find Dr Prager frozen fish sticks and fillets, those are quite good. They're breaded with potato flakes and are gluten free. My local organic store started carrying them.

Also Amy's makes a gluten free Mac N Cheese that's not bad. She also makes some canned chilli's and soups. I don't know for sure that they're gluten free, but they're worth looking for and checking into. I know Amy's makes a gluten free pizza, but again it's not carried in most grocery stores so you'd have to look to find it. It's not the best, but with gluten free tomato soup it's not bad as a meal.

Trader Joe's sells a great tomato soup and several other soups in cartons that are gluten free. Frozen taquitos is a mainstream frozen food that may be gluten free if it's made with corn tortillas and no added gluten. You'd have to check the ingredients though. Some frozen Mexican food made with corn tortillas may be gluten free too. Things like tamale pies may be another option if they're made with corn meal and no flour. I think Amy's had a frozen tamale pie. Some tamales may be gluten free too since they're made with corn masa traditionally.

Many frozen french fries are gluten free as are frozen vegetables like spinach or small ears of corn. Frozen hamburger patties cook quickly as do gluten free hot dogs. I make a bunless hamburger laid on top of leaves of lettuce with cheese on top and ketchup and pickles. I eat it like an open faced sandwich. One of my favorite easy meals is Hormel chili which is gluten free, over cut up hot dogs with cheese on top. You could always serve that with tortilla chips or french fries.

Also consider some of the pre-made salad mixes. They don't have a terrific shell life but they're relatively quick and nutritious.

Violet

tallfran Apprentice

I eat frozen meals at work all the time. I like Amy's, and some of the South Beach diet ones are gluten-free too. They aren't frozen, but some of the packaged Hormel meals are also gluten-free, like the beef stew. It isn't too bad...

Fran

babinsky Apprentice

If you have a Whole Foods anywhere near you the have a dedicated freezer for gluten free stuff...makes it easier

AnneM Apprentice

I love Jimmy Deans breakfast bowls, sausage and eggs, or the bacon one so good! Or you can eat Aunt Jemima breakfast, hashbrowns, eggs and sausage or bacon. They also make an omelette breakfast they are all very good and safe, as I eat them alot. These are nice to eat as they aren't a specialty gluten free product, so they aren't that expensive.

sparkles Contributor

Be careful with Amy's frozen foods. Some of the labels read, "NO GLUTEN INGREDIENTS".... and on the other side, it says that they are produced in facililties that process wheat. It depends on how sensitive you are. I really liked the enchiladas, mac and cheese, and the Mexican bowl. They were fast (expensive) but fast and made great lunches but they also give me stomach cramps. The only one that is marked gluten-free (or at least was) is the Shepherd's Pie and I hated that one. I know that lots of people are not sensitive to products produced in facilities with wheat but it seems the longer that I am on the gluten-free diet, my system seems to be more sensitive to CC. I think that has to do with the fact that I feel better and when I get sick, it is so out of the norm that I really am aware of it.

Susanna Newbie

I eat Lean Cuisine glazed chicken

Smart ones beans and rice

Glutino frozen entrees

Ians has frozen fish sticks, breaded chicken patties, and a kiddie chicken nugget meal that are all gluten-free

Dr Pragers has several frozen gluten-free meals

Organic Bistro has 6 frozen entrees--ALL 6 ARE gluten-free--Yay!! I attended a talk by Dr. Laren Callway (sp?), the founder of Organic Bistro--she is a naturopathic doctor, who is big on nutrition, and these meals are chock full of organic, natural, high anti-oxidant and healthy ingredients. I highly recommend them.

Other convenience foods that are gluten-free

Progresso chicken and wild rice soup, creamy mushroom, split pea, lentil, garden vegetable.

Health Valley makes several canned soups and chilis we can eat

OK, this next may be hard to hear, but I suggest that you convert your family to gluten-free. I know, easier said than done. BUT HERE'S THE THING: if you have to eat gluten-free, and you are the cook, it does not make sense for you to be cooking 2 versions of every meal. One, you're a busy mom, and who has time for that? And two (and more importantly), LIVING gluten-free IS SO ISOLATING, THAT HOME IS THE ONE PLACE YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER, AND PLACE WHERE YOU SHOULD BE MAKING YOURSELF FEEL INCLUDED. I too am the mom and the cook, and the only gluten-free person in my house, and my family has come along on this topic, because I didn't offer them any other option--the food I put on the table is gluten-free--they can get gluten food when they'er elsewhere. Once you make this transition, YOUR LIFE WILL FEEL SO MUCH EASIER--YOU DESERVE THIS! And 3, your family loves you and will support you on this--if you get any resistance, you gently point out that we're a family, and families work together to meet everyone's needs, and it's not optional, and so this is how we're doing it now. Reasonable people cannot object to this. But I guarantee it will not happen unless you make it happen.

Tons of "normal" foods are gluten-free anyway--here are some of my fam's favorite dinners:

chicken breasts with barbecue sauce dumped over, and baked, with tater tots and veggies on the side.

hamburgers--I do put gluten-free buns on the table, and I eat my burger with a piece of lettuce as a wrap, but otherwise, my meal is identical.

baked salmon, with Lundberg Risotto (great convenience food) and salaed on the side.

scrambled eggs, with sausage (turkey kielbasa is great) tossed in, and any leftover tater tots baked and tossed in, with a little melted cheese on top--my family LOVES this for dinner

Omelets--I bake a family omelet in the oven: crack about 8 eggs into a bowl. Add about a 1/4 cup mil, salt and pepper, bake in a 9X13" glass dish sprayed with Pam for about 20 min at 350 degrees. Slide omelet onto platter, fill with whatever you like, top with cheese, slice and serve.

Enchilada casserole: layer corn tortillas, cooked cubed chicken, La Victoria mild red enchilada sauce and cheese (do about 3 layers) in a glass dish and bake.

When I serve these dishes--my kids friends are eating over, and they love it and no one notices that I'm providing a gluten-free menu--they just enjoy the food.

Good luck!

Susanna

GrannyGrunt Newbie

I had read in these forums that Chattanooga's Great Harvest Stores on Signal Mountain carried gluten-free products. I went to the website, clicked on link to gluten-free products and got page saying they no longer carry these products :(

Just thought you'd like to know.

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Thank you all so much for the great sugestions! I am trying to make gluten free meals for the whole family as much as possible. That to me is actually very exciting, to be able to eat a meal with sides and everything! This week we had taquitos, tacos and baked chicken. I went to Trader Joe's with the gluten-free list from their web site and they were so helpful. I have found that you just can't make some things gluten free. I got some rice tortillas and made egg burritos, wow I think I could have wrapped the eggs in a paper towel and it would have tasted better!

Thank you all again. I am sure it will get easier!

bbuster Explorer

Here's a staple at our house - frozen taquitos. There are a couple of brands that are gluten-free, just be sure you buy the ones that use corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas (they are well-marked).

I buy a big bag, but you can take out as many as you want - just heat and serve. Quick meal with a salad and some salsa.

Archived