This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gerd

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

Has anyone tried to get off of their PPI and onto natural Aplle Cider Vinegar and HCL to teat GERD? My naturopath wants me to try this for 2-4weeks. So far it has been two days and now ive had terrible heart burn. I have been drinking baking soda and water to combat the acid reflux. It works temporarily. Does anyone know how long it takes for the ACV to work, and does anyone have any experience trying this remedy. The prilosec worked like a charm, but she wants me to try this. If the prilosec was working, wasnt that proof that I was producing too much acid, so why would taking ACV and HCL be smart?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nyxie63 Apprentice

The problem with reflux is that it can also be caused by LOW stomach acid. The stomach has to churn more in order to get the same amount of work done. I'm not really sure how the PPIs work in this case, other than create even less acid so there isn't any to come up the esophagus. I've often wondered why docs rx PPIs without checking stomach acid levels. Doesn't really make sense to suppress acid production in someone who already doesn't make enough.

I'm kind of surprised your naturopath has you using both. Its usually one or the other. Maybe cut out the HCl and just try the AVC? Are you using 2 teaspoons of ACV in a glass of water?

If the AVC makes you feel better in about 1/2 hour, then you probably don't have enough stomach acid. If it makes you feel worse, than you're either producing too much stomach acid or you're too alkaline. Some people that have H-Pyloria are thought to be too acidic and are treated for this when in fact that can actually be too alkaline. Of course not everyone with H-Pyloria is presented as alkaline. Which is why testing is good. H-Pyloria can be tested for with a simple breath test. Ask your Gastro about this.

To see if your system is too acid or alkaline, pickup some litmus paper. Most pharmacies carry it. You can test your urine or saliva. Its a really good indicator.

*steps down from soapbox*

I've tried the ACV thing too. Makes my stomach feel like its on fire. I'm trying to get off the PPIs as well, largely because they can lead to nutritional deficiencies (iron, vit B, calcium) and I already have enough problems on that front.

While modifying my diet has helped a lot, I don't think its completely gotten rid of the problem. I've cut out gluten (of course) as well as pasteurized milk (now use raw milk products), corn, and refined sugar. I'm also using digestive enzymes and probiotics, since tests have shown that I have dysbiosis, which I'm sure isn't helping any.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

FootballFanatic Contributor

I am taking a medicine similar to prilosec, and I was worried that it was making me produce too little acid and making my stomach hurt, so I asked my doctor and she said it's not so much an acid reducer as a balancer, and so it would be very strange for it to make me produce too little stomach acid....

Lemonsieur Newbie

I am now off all PPI's. I was taking Prilosec daily, but it stopped working, and I was then put on Nexium daily and that worked. When I went gluten free back in April, I also went casein and soy free as well, following the Enterolab results. Now that I think back my GERD would *really* act up when I ate chinese (with lots of soy sauce). I have since been able to leave all the PPI's behind. There were some occasional flare ups in the earlier "bad food"-free months, but now I am good. I know now right away when I eat one of the banned foods, because heart burn is usually one of the first symptoms.

I have never found the ACV to be all that effective at helping the heart burn. Speaking heart burn, does yours always manifest in the same way? Mine would sometimes be a dull dry burn, to a shooting pain, to palpitation like fluttering, to referred upper back pain!

VioletBlue Contributor

I've pretty much left all the medicines behind. I occasionally still have a problem if I eat pork or something else with a lot of fat. When I first went gluten free I tried the apple cider but couldn't stomach the smell. Then I used the apple cider pills which worked well, but again they didn't always work all night. Milk sometimes helps me for some reason. I vaguely remember something about PH being the reason, but I don't recall the specifics. I also found that relaxation helped me. If I made a concentrated effort to relax all the muscles, particularly in my stomach and chest area at night that seemed to help. Don't ask me what that's about.

Violet

Lemonsieur Newbie

For the interim flare ups after I got off the PPIs I took good old Pepto Bismol. Before that I was trying TUMS! That just made the reflux worse, and gave me a nasty stomach ache, nausea, and a migraine to boot.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
For the interim flare ups after I got off the PPIs I took good old Pepto Bismol. Before that I was trying TUMS! That just made the reflux worse, and gave me a nasty stomach ache, nausea, and a migraine to boot.

I use the Pepto also, it works quickly and usually one dose will do it. I only need it now when glutened. Not all Tums are gluten free and they might relieve things for a bit only to have them return in force as a reaction to the gluten. Kind of insures we keep popping the things. I would try the pepto first before anything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Cath4k Apprentice

How do we know which Tums are safe?? I read on a gluten free list that all Tums except one type were safe. I need to know if the type I just got my dd are not safe then! :(

Thanks!

ravenwoodglass Mentor
How do we know which Tums are safe?? I read on a gluten free list that all Tums except one type were safe. I need to know if the type I just got my dd are not safe then! :(

Thanks!

Personally I would pitch the Tums and grab some pepto. Is there a phone number on the pack you could call? I can never remember which is safe and which isn't and since they can change formulas whenever they want I avoid them altogether.

Cath4k Apprentice
Personally I would pitch the Tums and grab some pepto. Is there a phone number on the pack you could call? I can never remember which is safe and which isn't and since they can change formulas whenever they want I avoid them altogether.

Ug. Unfortunately I am 99% sure she can't do Pepto. That pink color is undoubtedly not natural and she can't do anything with FD&C colors. I'll look into it, but I doubt she can do it. Maybe I can find an alternative with the same active ingredient.

Thanks,

Cathy

babinsky Apprentice
Has anyone tried to get off of their PPI and onto natural Aplle Cider Vinegar and HCL to teat GERD? My naturopath wants me to try this for 2-4weeks. So far it has been two days and now ive had terrible heart burn. I have been drinking baking soda and water to combat the acid reflux. It works temporarily. Does anyone know how long it takes for the ACV to work, and does anyone have any experience trying this remedy. The prilosec worked like a charm, but she wants me to try this. If the prilosec was working, wasnt that proof that I was producing too much acid, so why would taking ACV and HCL be smart?

my GI put me on acifex..helps

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Ug. Unfortunately I am 99% sure she can't do Pepto. That pink color is undoubtedly not natural and she can't do anything with FD&C colors. I'll look into it, but I doubt she can do it. Maybe I can find an alternative with the same active ingredient.

Thanks,

Cathy

Perhaps some weak peppermint tea might help if she can't do artificial ingredients that might be the safest way to go. She could do a few sips at a time and see if it helps. I wish they didn't think they had to artificially color and flavor so many things it makes it really hard. Hopefully the gluten free diet will help her soon and you won't need to search for something.

Lemonsieur Newbie

Some ginger tea might help as well. I used that with some success.

helenabbadi Rookie

I tried apple cider vinegar for a few months but only got temporary relief. Try using Honey (1-2 tsp) everytime you get that feeling (GERD sufferers know what i mean). Sliced Red dilicious apples also work. Those are the best natural ways to help with GERD.

I'm currently taking aciphex for GERD which works great! The only problem is that my insurance only covers half the cost so I pay $70 for a month supply. It's completely worth it especially since prilosec, protonix, nexium and prevacid didn't work for me!

I hope you get better soon.

Archived