This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heart Problems?

143horses

143horses Rookie

Hi-I am new here and am so excited with all the info I have found that there are others like me!! I am Celiac amoung other things. But I wanted to ask if there is anyone who has suffered from cardiac problems from this? I have. I read that palpations and such can go with this but wanted to know if ya'll have had it?

liv

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Centa Newbie

Welcome 143horses, glad you're here!

Are you asking has anyone suffered from cardiac problems from the celiac disease itself? Or from being gluten free?

You're asking in an area that interests me a lot, since I've got a history of heart disease on both sides of my family: strokes on my father's side; my mother has had the full gamut, but is still alive at 94....strokes, heart attack, heart failure & a pacemaker. It runs back in both families.

So I figure I'm a statistical candidate for this kind of thing later on....all I can report in is a very definite drop in total cholesterol count and definite increase in HDL (good cholesterol) after I went gluten free. Knowing that I was headed into later in life probability of heart problems, I had tracked my cholesterol for oh, a good 15 years, so by now have enough evidence to say that it's not a blip, not a drop just one year.

That's all I can report for now, but like I say I'm interested in what you ask. What connection are you asking about? Celiac disease + heart problems?

Centa Newbie

Here's a link that may be of interest. Open Original Shared Link

143horses Rookie
Welcome 143horses, glad you're here!

Are you asking has anyone suffered from cardiac problems from the celiac disease itself? Or from being gluten free?

You're asking in an area that interests me a lot, since I've got a history of heart disease on both sides of my family: strokes on my father's side; my mother has had the full gamut, but is still alive at 94....strokes, heart attack, heart failure & a pacemaker. It runs back in both families.

So I figure I'm a statistical candidate for this kind of thing later on....all I can report in is a very definite drop in total cholesterol count and definite increase in HDL (good cholesterol) after I went gluten free. Knowing that I was headed into later in life probability of heart problems, I had tracked my cholesterol for oh, a good 15 years, so by now have enough evidence to say that it's not a blip, not a drop just one year.

That's all I can report for now, but like I say I'm interested in what you ask. What connection are you asking about? Celiac disease + heart problems?

Hi-I was asking if anyone with Celiac has also heart problems. And if they had fewer symptoms after becoming gluten-free.......................good to hear that your cholestrol went down I have read that it could go up and that ruffeled my feathers!! I see someone has posted a link Ill go in there and you may want to as well ;o)

Centa Newbie

Hi again 143horses...I'm due to head off line now, but I'll check back in on you tomorrow :) Let me type out something quick for you here...

I'm not suggesting that my genetic profile for heart complications is yours, but I guess for me the sum total of things that I know affect me that relate to heart and a gluten free diet are two:

1) Absorption issues. Look up JNBunnie's recent posts...and do a google search for the Wikipedia article on cholesterol.

2) Ingestion of fats, especially trans fats

All best.

UR Groovy Explorer
Hi-I am new here and am so excited with all the info I have found that there are others like me!! I am Celiac amoung other things. But I wanted to ask if there is anyone who has suffered from cardiac problems from this? I have. I read that palpations and such can go with this but wanted to know if ya'll have had it?

liv

Hi, Welcome,

If you're talking about palpatations / erratic heart beat type stuff, that's my first indication that I've been glutened now (BTW, I have reason to believe that I'm not Celiac, but have wheat allergy or intolerance). For a couple of months before I discovered that my problems were due to gluten (elimination diet), I was regularly having a very specific arrhythmia (usually at night) which my doctor never picked up on because it never happened when I was there (presumably because I hadn't had wheat before my appointments). These went away immediately after I went gluten-free. When I challenged gluten, I got it the worst ever - about 5 hours after the pasta dinner. We were up all night because I was afraid to go to sleep that my heart would stop and not start again. Now (almost a year later), when I get glutened just a little, it appears that about 24 hours later, I get the "heart drop" (that's what it feels like - like my heart is dropping).

I've noticed that my reactions to gluten never seem to follow the same pattern they did the previous time. I never know what's going to happen when I get glutened anymore.

If you're talking about heart disease, or other specific conditions, this doesn't really apply, as my heart appears to work perfectly when I'm at the docs or not eating wheat.

take care,

k

143horses Rookie

Hi, Welcome,

If you're talking about palpatations / erratic heart beat type stuff, that's my first indication that I've been glutened now (BTW, I have reason to believe that I'm not Celiac, but have wheat allergy or intolerance). For a couple of months before I discovered that my problems were due to gluten (elimination diet), I was regularly having a very specific arrhythmia (usually at night) which my doctor never picked up on because it never happened when I was there (presumably because I hadn't had wheat before my appointments). These went away immediately after I went gluten-free. When I challenged gluten, I got it the worst ever - about 5 hours after the pasta dinner. We were up all night because I was afraid to go to sleep that my heart would stop and not start again. Now (almost a year later), when I get glutened just a little, it appears that about 24 hours later, I get the "heart drop" (that's what it feels like - like my heart is dropping).

I've noticed that my reactions to gluten never seem to follow the same pattern they did the previous time. I never know what's going to happen when I get glutened anymore.

If you're talking about heart disease, or other specific conditions, this doesn't really apply, as my heart appears to work perfectly when I'm at the docs or not eating wheat.

take care,

k

Hi k-WOW yes that happens to me as well :o I am so glad to heat this. I woundered about the relation and have read some on it althought it is not mentioned that often. That is one of the effects that I have. I to have the dropping feeling and at night it can be very bad. I have been dx with cardiac conditions though that may or may not be related and that was the reason for my posting. At least now I know that the palpatations are linked. Thank you for sharing that with me......

Liv :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi,

Just a little CYA here (I just hate to be misunderstood), I'm not saying that I believe that eliminating wheat, etc. will fix a heart problem. It's certainly nothing to mess around with. I just know that in my case, the heart dropping is definitely a sign that I've been glutened and that it went away absolutely and completely (except glutenings) when I eliminated it (just before I cut out the gluten, it was happening almost every night). I've tested it a few times - there's no doubt. It's really the only thing that keeps me in line, because I think I'd probably be less strict with the food if it weren't for the heart thing at this point. I don't get the tummy problems nearly as bad as before from glutenings. It's just so darned scary when it happens. I can literally feel my heart stop beating, immediately thereafter feel like I'm going to pass out, and then it pumps like mad when it starts again. It happens over & over again about every 30 seconds until it stops. It's pretty weird.

I was wondering - you didn't mention (or maybe you did & I missed it): Since you've been avoiding gluten (if you've been avoiding gluten(?) ) has it gone away for you?

cyberprof Enthusiast

I had weird things prior to diagnosis that have ALL gone away. I would get chest pressure and a feeling of anxiety, like my heart was pounding and I could feel the blood rushing through my body. My heart beat faster and sometimes skipped beats. The stomach pain, combined with the heart stuff, got me in to see the doc. I didn't want to say "I think I'm having a heart attack" because it didn't seem like I was having enough or the right kind symptoms but I didn't want to ignore it. It caused me a lot of anxiety and lost sleep because I would feel so bad when I laid down to go to sleep.

Not that any of this is something to self-diagnose or mess around with. See your doc if you are still having weird symptoms, with or without gluten.

Joss Rookie

I get atrial fibrillation which is caused by food intolerances. Not sure if its gluten but I definitely react to certain addiitves.

143horses Rookie

Hi k-WOW yes that happens to me as well :o I am so glad to heat this. I woundered about the relation and have read some on it althought it is not mentioned that often. That is one of the effects that I have. I to have the dropping feeling and at night it can be very bad. I have been dx with cardiac conditions though that may or may not be related and that was the reason for my posting. At least now I know that the palpatations are linked. Thank you for sharing that with me......

Liv :D

Hi-What you described is what happens to me-every bit of it. Only I do have more extensive symptoms that may or may not be linked. Chances are they are not linkned but I would like to think so because that means I will only get better with diet. :) When that feeling hits me the entire time I am sitting real quiet, still , breathing and praying. It will get much worse if I put some of my famous panic into it so I use a lot of prayer ;) And, yes and I am gluten free as I am a dx. Celiac and I have noticed a change with the pvc's and "dropping feeling".Also seem to have some relief from my panic feelings-only been gluten free for a bit over 1 week now. Feel free to email me if you want to talk more on this

kenlove Rising Star

I had a lot of trouble with atrial fibrillation, 3 times to the ER from passing out. When I was finally diagnosed with celiac after 6 months of heart trouble, Went totally gluten free and have not had any trouble in 2 years. When I was strong enough for a strees test, I had no touble going to level 8 at which point the doc said my heart was fine and to stop taking all the meds I was on. I did and feel 1000% better than 2 years ago.

Ken

I get atrial fibrillation which is caused by food intolerances. Not sure if its gluten but I definitely react to certain addiitves.

Archived