6 replies to this topic

#1 LoriC

LoriC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:03 AM

My legs and feet have hurt me since late June..i was diagnosed with DH in late August..everytime i tell my doctors my feet and legs ache me so bad..they said either i'm getting old or eat a banana a day..I'm getting a little tired of hearing the "old" thing, i don't think this is normal, i mean its hard for me to get out of bed in the morning thats how bad they hurt and my veins stick out really bad, no discoloring or swelling. Anyone else have this problem? could it be related to being glutened? Thanks, Lori

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Yellow Rose

Yellow Rose

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

This could be PAD parifarial artery desiese. My spelling is bad sorry. Google it and see if your symptoms match.
Yellow Rose
27 years of misdiognoses
seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet
rheumatoid arthritis May 1980
wrist joint replacement Jan 1984
fibromyalgia May 1980
insomnia since the 80's
diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds
Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea
Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:
depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.
Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive
Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:27 AM

My legs and feet have hurt me since late June..i was diagnosed with DH in late August..everytime i tell my doctors my feet and legs ache me so bad..they said either i'm getting old or eat a banana a day..I'm getting a little tired of hearing the "old" thing, i don't think this is normal, i mean its hard for me to get out of bed in the morning thats how bad they hurt and my veins stick out really bad, no discoloring or swelling. Anyone else have this problem? could it be related to being glutened? Thanks, Lori

Yep. For me leg pain and balance issues were along with DH were a primary presenting symptom. The pain was excrutiating at times and I was young so they told my Mom it was growing pains. I also lost my reflexes about this time which remained absent until 40 years later when I had been gluten-free for about 3 years. One of the things that will help until you heal a bit more from the gluten will be sublingual B12. When I get glutened now it is not as painful but it still feels like my legs are made of lead and weigh about 50 lbs apiece. Sometimes a nice hot bath and a couple of baby asprin, I take St. Josephs baby chewables, will help to relieve the discomfort.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Offthegrid

Offthegrid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

I have a lot of problems with something like restless leg syndrome, but it affects my arms, too. I have found that alcohol severely aggitates this. Just something else to consider that could possibly help.
"I'm not telling you it's going to be easy. I'm telling you it's going to be worth it." - Art Williams

Currently gluten-, casein-, soy- and nightshade-free.

#5 nokomis

nokomis

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

I have the same problem as offthegrid. Legs and arms. Not so much restless leg syndrome for me, but really bad muscle fatigue with activity. Seems to get worse as the day goes on and the only thing that seem to make it go away are hot baths and lots of resting (laying down).

It's not B12 or iron deficiency, my thyroid is fine, so ???

Anyone have any experience with Myasthenia Gravis? I read that it can be more common in people with celiac disease.

#6 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

I have the same problem as offthegrid. Legs and arms. Not so much restless leg syndrome for me, but really bad muscle fatigue with activity. Seems to get worse as the day goes on and the only thing that seem to make it go away are hot baths and lots of resting (laying down).

It's not B12 or iron deficiency, my thyroid is fine, so ???

Anyone have any experience with Myasthenia Gravis? I read that it can be more common in people with celiac disease.

I too have this bad muscle fatigue. We have stairs, my bedroom and the laundry are in the basement! We also have puppies right now so up and down, up and down etc.
The muscle fatigue drives me nuts, my family just looks at me. Last night I just sat down, I was so done. I used to think I was wonder woman and could do it all, mentally I still like to think that but I know it isn't so.
I am so glad you all posted about this, between feeling like I am starving and the fatigue I thought I was having some other issues. It is great to know what it is, now just waiting for it all to heal.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#7 JodiC

JodiC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:10 AM

I too struggled with this until my internal med dr checked my vitamin D levels (all of them) and my vitamin C level. Both were dangerously low. I was prescribed 50000 units of D3 for 8 weeks. and 2000 of C. Felt much better. Now I know when I start getting the same feeling in my legs and arms to up my vitamin D and C. Especially now that it is winter and its harder to get in the sun. I also had very low thiamin levels (formally known as B1). I took 100mg for 8 weeks and now only have to take 15 to 25 mg a day to keep the levels up. Hope this helps. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: