This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cosmetics

horsegirl

horsegirl Enthusiast

I've been doing well on my gluten free lifestyle for some time now, but got to wondering about makeup. I looked at the labels on my compact (powder foundation) as well as my blush, & both have oats as one of the first ingredients. So, I'm assuming they're not gluten free? And I should avoid them since the powder becomes airborne & could be ingested by inhaling into the mouth? Is this right?

If so, any suggestions on products I could try that won't cost me my entire paycheck to purchase??

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator

yes, all of my cosmetics are gluten-free. Some people don't worry about that, but I do. As formulae constantly change, I would just check the ingredients next time you buy them and give the company a call. I always call when I rebuy as twice my products all of a sudden had different ingredients.

horsegirl Enthusiast
yes, all of my cosmetics are gluten-free. Some people don't worry about that, but I do. As formulae constantly change, I would just check the ingredients next time you buy them and give the company a call. I always call when I rebuy as twice my products all of a sudden had different ingredients.

Thanks! Just when I think I've got this "all figured out", something else comes up!

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I have been using bareminerals and don't have a problem with them. Although I have used body shop products for a long time :blink: UGH I needed face wash and wanted one of those serums to go under my face lotion so the lady sold me on the Vit C versions. BAD BAD BAD :angry: It was right before I found out about the gluten and I never checked them. My face started getting dry and red, the label is tiny and hard to read so I checked the website. I think it was wheat germ oil. Great thing about them I can return the stuff no problem. They have a grape seed extract face lotion and it is fine. Yeesh

skp Newbie

I am newly diagnosed and I don't know what Type of Shampoo or Hairspray to use..

I didn't realize things like this and make up - would also be a problem...

Can someone advise me what Products are SAFE ... and maybe a List -is there

one that is available??

I was diagnosed in late summer of this year .. and I am still trying to learn

how to eat..and the contamination issue -etc...

ALL reply's would be appreciated... Thank you

SKP

I have been using bareminerals and don't have a problem with them. Although I have used body shop products for a long time :blink: UGH I needed face wash and wanted one of those serums to go under my face lotion so the lady sold me on the Vit C versions. BAD BAD BAD :angry: It was right before I found out about the gluten and I never checked them. My face started getting dry and red, the label is tiny and hard to read so I checked the website. I think it was wheat germ oil. Great thing about them I can return the stuff no problem. They have a grape seed extract face lotion and it is fine. Yeesh
DILIROTH Newbie

It took me awhile to realize that items other than food contain wheat and can have really nasty effects on me:

I also switched to the bareminerals and love it! It doesnt irritate my face and also covers up any inperfections with very little coverage. Its also not too costly and seems to last longer than most other products I have tried.

Suave and Dove products are usually wheat free but please read the labels. I have had difficulty finding products at the local hairdressers that do not contain wheat! I also am hesitant to have any hair coloring done at the salon b/c of the problems it can cause.

Theresa

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I also am hesitant to have any hair coloring done at the salon b/c of the problems it can cause.

Theresa

Me also, I have hair fall out and DH sores from scalp contact. I recently found a haircolor called Herbatint. It is gluten free and natural. I have good luck with it. I get it at my local health food store and at Wegmans. What I like best is that you mix in a bowl and with short hair you can get more than one application from the box.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
artist11 Newbie

Hi -- could you recommend a lipstick or lipgloss?

b91hd7fjk Apprentice

Kiehl's lip GLOSS is ok..balm on the other hand is not. Also at Bath and Body Works they carry a line of "Mentha-lip care" by CO Bigelow and they haev some cute colors for their glosses too...again the balms even in that line contain wheat germ oil.

Lately I have been using stuff I can get in the drug stores..Almay lipsticks I believe are gluten-free but dont quote me on that.

I never even thought about this stuff before...so my foot cream if it has wheat in it I should stop using it?????

-Staci

jerseyangel Proficient

Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers are gluten-free.

horsegirl Enthusiast

I use one of Whole Food's store-brand lip balms (I think it's vanilla) & really like it.

No troublesome ingredients in it, & it's all natural. I use it on my 4 year-old too

(she feels like a "big girl" when she gets to use mommy's lip balm!)

debmidge Rising Star

Disappointment that happened for me late last year. AVON stopped printing a gluten-free product list and now says you have to call them at their 800 number on each product. Well I tested them and called about a body lotion that I know has OAT protein in it and they told me that it's gluten free. So much for overseas cust service reps.....and Avon for that matter.

• 1 year later...
Guest A.L.-ergic77

I just called C.O. Bigelow. They said that although they do not use any products containing gluten as primary ingredients, they can not promise that they have not been used by a third party.

So I would steer clear of any of their stuff.

GFLisa Newbie

I use the Burts Bees shimmers for a touch of color or the Kiss my Face balms when my lips are chapped. Both are gluten-free and I can find them at Kroger, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and sometimes Target.

Also, you can ask at Sephora and they will let you know. I was there with a Celiac friend this summer and she was double checking the hidden ingredients for me to make sure I didn't miss anything. A sales girl asked if she could help and I joked, "yeah if you can tell us what is gluten free." Unexpectedly she said, "Sure, no problem!"

solarglobe Rookie

What really got me was "Clinique" lipstick and lip gloss! I always loved their "bonus time" with all the free items, and it always included a lipstick or gloss. Turns out, wheat is an ingredient for their lipsticks!

So...I've switched to MAC -- they were very cool about going over their ingredients with me when I needed to change. They have a huge book with a detailed list of ingredients for everything that they sell.

• 1 year later...
ValerieNicole Newbie

What brands of cosmetics do you use? I do not have celiac but my son and husband do so I do not want to make them sick from my make-up.

Archived