Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is It True That Dora The Explorer Cereal Is gluten-free?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Kara'sMom

Kara'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:00 PM

I'm sorry to bombard this site with so many questions...and probably questions that have been asked over and over so SORRY if that's so. I'm sure I'll get most of my questions answered when we meet with the nutritionilist...but until then.....here are the ingredients of the cereal....

Whole Grain Corn, Corn Meal, Sugar, Corn Bran, Modified Corn Starch, Canola and/or Rice Bran Oil, Corn Syrup, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Cinnamon, Dicalcium Phosphate, Trisodium Phosphate, Baking Soda, Iron and Zinc (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), A B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Natural and Artificial Flavor, Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) and BHT Added to Preserve Freshness.

should I worry about the modified corn starch? And I"ve read on here that Fruity Pebbles is gluten-free so I bought a box but she hasn't had any yet.
Thanks again! Mary
Kara'sMom
DD age 10
diagnosed celiac 10/07

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ptkds

ptkds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

Don't worry about asking questions! That's what this forum is for!!

Yes, Dora stars are gluten-free. We eat it all the time. Also, Trix, Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, and Little Einsteins are gluten-free. Just make sure you read the label often since they sometimes change the ingredients. The most annoying ingredient you may see in lots of "corn based" cerials is malt. Modified corn starch is perfectly fine.

Oh yeah, you probably won't get much help from the nutritionist! They are usually clueless when it comes to a gluten-free diet. Although, some can be great.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#3 ab123

ab123

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

The mickey mouse cereal is also gluten free and some boxes of Lucky Charms are gluten free!

#4 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:54 PM

The mickey mouse cereal is also gluten free and some boxes of Lucky Charms are gluten free!

:o What??? Some boxes of Lucky Charms are gluten-free? I'm confused. I thought Lucky Charms were NOT safe. How can some boxes be ok? Please elaborate!
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#5 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

some boxes of Lucky Charms are gluten free!

I just looked at the General Mills website. Lucky Charms is an oat cereal, made with both whole grain oats and oat flour. These oats are almost certainly contaminated with gluten, because they are not gluten-free oats. I would be interested to know what source says Lucky Charms is gluten-free.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:17 AM

Love the Dora Stars :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#7 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:30 AM

I'm yet to see the Dora Stars in a store. I shop at King Soopers (which is Kroger) and I've checked Safeway as well.

Any suggestions?

#8 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:37 AM

I'm yet to see the Dora Stars in a store. I shop at King Soopers (which is Kroger) and I've checked Safeway as well.

Any suggestions?

Maybe Walmart?
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#9 buffettbride

buffettbride

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:39 AM

Maybe Walmart?

That's my next plan.

Actually, I'll be at a Super Target tonight so I'm going to check there as well.

#10 Kara'sMom

Kara'sMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

I bought mine at Super Walmart..on sale for 1.50 a box. Now that I know they're gluten-free I'm sending DH out to buy about 5 boxes!
Kara'sMom
DD age 10
diagnosed celiac 10/07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: