This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Problems With Poultry

scotty

scotty Explorer

i seem to have problems with poultry. i'm all organic here, which cleared things up here and there, but now i'm wondering why chicken and turkey are giving me problems--no matter what brand no matter what type it seems; i don't wan to reassure myself with more varieties and options; but i can't believe this. please someone tell me this is temporary and is thriving on the birds. i have been terrified of red meat, but thats my only optionnow i guess

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Scotty,

I doubt that it's the chicken, rather in it's preparation, or the fact that you are not healed yet. That will take some time.

How did you prepare the poultry?

scotty Explorer
Scotty,

I doubt that it's the chicken, rather in it's preparation, or the fact that you are not healed yet. That will take some time.

How did you prepare the poultry?

alright i usually cook plain in a pan (platinum pan???? maybe why--just considered) with salt. i'm kind of leery of any seasonings at this point. i want to add one thing at a time but things are not working out that way. i got well there this pat week after going organic and felt a healing and things absorbing. i had this chicken one morning and instantly thought a contraction was going to flare on the first piece. it subsisided though and ate my meal regularly. almost had D scrambling to the restroom before i peed myself about hour and half maybe later. ate something else for lunch which felt spectacular; had the chikcen again for later meal and this time gave me awful gas the whole way through; in the morning had D. theres been other instances and what not but this last one is making me reconsider. and turkey just seems to make me get all twisted so i like my the sides of my bladder are being pinched, my lower back gets sore

kabowman Explorer

I had to request special handling of my chicken and turkey from the butcher I use because I have a problem with styrofoam and then discovered a problem with the pad that is placed under the chicken. It has some preservatives in it and I don't know what else but I have them hold a chicken out for me each week and I pick it up the next day, sans pad and styrofoam, in a bag. It has worked for me...

scotty Explorer
I had to request special handling of my chicken and turkey from the butcher I use because I have a problem with styrofoam and then discovered a problem with the pad that is placed under the chicken. It has some preservatives in it and I don't know what else but I have them hold a chicken out for me each week and I pick it up the next day, sans pad and styrofoam, in a bag. It has worked for me...

wow that's wild. i never thought it might come to that for me. i have heard people on requiring such special treatment. i'm not sure if that would work for me though; i have problems with all kinds, all different brands. i'm begninning to think it was my problems in the first place when i could not find healing no matter what. i'm just going to avoid it for awhile here to see what happens. i keep getting this fear that all foods i eat are going to turn against after assuming i had such success with them

thanks

jerseyangel Proficient

I had problems with poultry, too. I seem to be able to tolerate Kosher chicken--Empire brand is available in my area, so that's the one I use.

scotty Explorer
I had problems with poultry, too. I seem to be able to tolerate Kosher chicken--Empire brand is available in my area, so that's the one I use.

i think i have tried every brand in my area. from organic to regular. even canned. well not everywhere, but all the organic--not too sure about trying like the meat market and this marketplace. i gues there is a lot of places i have yet to try but no organic outlets left.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

FootballFanatic Contributor

Try fish before red meats.

scotty Explorer
Try fish before red meats.

oh i have tried fish. ones at kroger i am unsure of. it's like i said before i don't know if these birds were messingme up causing other problems. my organic selections are slim there too

VioletBlue Contributor

The biggest problem I had after going gluten-free was simple fat content. Chicken caused some problems. I'm not a big turkey person so I didn't have any through that point. I had to avoid pork completely for the first six months or so or risk the consequences. The skin on chicken in particular is a problem. Now it's rarely a problem for me. I'm careful how I cook the pork to render as much fat as possible, but I can eat it now.

Violet

jerseyangel Proficient
i think i have tried every brand in my area. from organic to regular. even canned. well not everywhere, but all the organic--not too sure about trying like the meat market and this marketplace. i gues there is a lot of places i have yet to try but no organic outlets left.

Scotty,

You may be intolerant to it--at least for now. It sounds like you've tried just about every brand and every style.

My advice would be to avoid it completely for a while--say 3 months--and then try some again.

Centa Newbie
alright i usually cook plain in a pan (platinum pan???? maybe why--just considered) with salt. i'm kind of leery of any seasonings at this point. i want to add one thing at a time but things are not working out that way. i got well there this pat week after going organic and felt a healing and things absorbing. i had this chicken one morning and instantly thought a contraction was going to flare on the first piece. it subsisided though and ate my meal regularly. almost had D scrambling to the restroom before i peed myself about hour and half maybe later. ate something else for lunch which felt spectacular; had the chikcen again for later meal and this time gave me awful gas the whole way through; in the morning had D. theres been other instances and what not but this last one is making me reconsider. and turkey just seems to make me get all twisted so i like my the sides of my bladder are being pinched, my lower back gets sore

That sounds like a pretty direct reaction, Scotty.

Here's Open Original Shared Link, since chicken and turkey can carry food borne illness unless they're cooked long enough at a high temperature. They need to be put in the refrigerator within about an hour or two of cooling off, too. Scroll down to salmonellosis to check if the symptoms might match.

People with compromised immune systems can pick up foodborne illness easier than other people.

scotty Explorer

thats funny cuz i always get just breasts i have not even tried ones with skins for fear of them. i'm going to have to just try a new path here. then maybe go back; but the odd part of my system is how foods break me down. i'll get a good reaction out of something and next thing i know i just start slowly developing problems...this is all so screwy and quite irritating breaking these cycles

kabowman Explorer

I just had to stop using my old aluminum pans that I have been using for years since everything I make on them makes me sick...I keep them around now for the kids and their stuff. I normally use only new, glass, or stainless steel.

spunky Contributor

Sometimes poultry, even "vegetarian, organic, etc." birds, are fed a special high sodium wheat that makes them retain water and become very plump and juicy. Apparently some dogs with wheat intolerance have been known to react to this poulty. I guess it's possible that some people might too.

scotty Explorer
I just had to stop using my old aluminum pans that I have been using for years since everything I make on them makes me sick...I keep them around now for the kids and their stuff. I normally use only new, glass, or stainless steel.

well i have new pans that i got half way through going gluten free; i was just wondering if the platinum ones might be aggravating me, thats the one i use the most

scotty Explorer
Sometimes poultry, even "vegetarian, organic, etc." birds, are fed a special high sodium wheat that makes them retain water and become very plump and juicy. Apparently some dogs with wheat intolerance have been known to react to this poulty. I guess it's possible that some people might too.

that was what i was thinking. it seems all poultry is bothering me right now; but i have always been curious if the fact that animals are fed gluten how is it that we celiacs would be able to eat them. unfortunately i got to trial and error stuff again to see if it was bothering as well as the poultry. this is just disgusting :angry:

Archived