38 replies to this topic

#16 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

I do believe that people can be overweight and have celiac. At the conference I went to most of the people looked very healthy and some were overweight. I have also talked to people that have celiac disease and are overweight.
Personally I would rather be somewhat overweight than look like an anorexic like I do! I have even had people "assume" that I have an eating disorder. I am having a very difficult time gaining the weight back. I think it may possibly be because it took so many years to find out what was wrong and there was a lot of damage to my body in the meantime.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:05 PM

Dad's side - Scottish, Irish
Mom's side - Irish, Norwegian, English

I am the only one in my family that has been diagnosed with celiac. My mom is the only other person that has been tested (as far as I know... I have a hudge family, lots of cousins).
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#18 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:46 PM

Hi!

I also belong to a huge Irish, Catholic, Newfie family. I have 102 first cousins!!!

On my dad's side: Irish, Irish
On my mom's side: Irish, French

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#19 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

Oh yeah, I was wrong--my dad's parents were tested, as well as my mom's.....so no grandparents have celiac disease, nobody else in my immediate family has celiac disease.....must be some great grandparent or great, great grandparent ;)

#20 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:49 PM

Hi!

I also belong to a huge Irish, Catholic, Newfie family. I have 102 first cousins!!!

On my dad's side: Irish, Irish
On my mom's side: Irish, French

Karen

WOW! 102 first cousins... :o ...let's see, I have...seven cousins... :lol:

#21 num1habsfan

num1habsfan

Prairie field, possibly the best picture I've taken!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 01:57 PM

Both my sides are Ukrainian/Polish. My gido(granda for those you dont know my language :P ) was born in Ukraine and lived there til he was 4 I think. No family history of Celiac that we know of, but diabetes,A LOT of cancer, and A LOT of arthritis..

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...
...26 years old...
...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

#22 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hi Melanie,

That is funny that your Mom is a nurse b/c my natural Mom was also a nurse until she was in a car accident & injured her back. Because I have been sick so long I thought by contacting her, I would be able to find some medical information regarding my background.

Unfortunately, we ended our relationship a year ago last October 10th. She had high expectations about the person I should be - that I would help her out financially, that I would return to be her daughter, that I would be there for her when she needed me, my hair should be a certain way, I should weigh a certain amount, etc. She also had expectations that I should have hugged her & kissed her when we met. I am shy & it sometimes takes me a while when I meet someone new. She couldn't understand that at all.

I am still thinking about writing her a note about my findings. It can't hurt. Then it will be up to her what she wants to do if anything.

At one point, I was very underweight (afterwards I started to become very bloated). They diagnosed me as Anexoria. I went down to 68 pounds at 5'3". We had a daughter who we adopted from China & we were in the process of adopting another daughter from Korea. Because of my severe weight loss & the pending adopting, the adoption agency took away our 2nd daughter from us b/c they felt it was intentional.

In my opinion - if doctors were more knowledgeable about celiac disease & took the time to check people out for this disease, it would save people from going through a lot of things.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

#23 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Lynn R.

That is so sad, it seems that people never cease to surprise me. I am sorry that you have to go through this, but you are not alone. Just be happy with yourself and things have a way of working out, or so I am told.
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#24 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 05:34 PM

Hi celiac3270!

One thing Irish Catholics (and especially Newfie ones) know how to do, is multiply!!! LOL! Including me, with four kids (my two girls and my twin boys..) Multiple births run in my family quite a lot, a lot of twins and triplets. A month before my twin boys were born, one of my cousins had triplet girls....

I always joke that most of my cousins are born 9 months after fishing season ends.....

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#25 deedee1022

deedee1022

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:29 AM

Mother: German and Irish
Father: Irish and Czheckoslovakian

#26 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:47 PM

Mostly English, some Cajun, and a tiny bit of American Indian from many generations ago.

richard

#27 strack2004

strack2004

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

Not diagnosed with celiac, but on the diet with improvement in some areas. Parents both had digestion issues. Paternal Grandmother, also. Didn't know that many of my family members. My parents were both from large families, but younger than the others. My heritage is German-Norwegian. Don't think my two sisters have had digestive problems. One daughter does out of my six children. Really don't know about my 18 grandchildren. My 1 great-grand daughter doesn't have problems. There is diabetes on both sides, especially paternal side. I think everybody had it of those I know about. One of my daughters is pre-diabetic. Lots of arthritis on both sides, glaucoma also. Ruth S.

#28 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:36 PM

I'm joining the Irish, Scotch-Irish, English crowd!

I have one brother with a weak positive (blood test and endoscopy), another tested negative.

I suspect very strongly my mother had a bad case that was never diagnosed before she died.

#29 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:17 PM

My mother's side is English/Scotish. I don't think her family had celiac disease anywhere. Just thyoid trouble (which I also have).
My father's side is mainly English. I'm not too sure what else.
I think Dad had coeliac disease. (He passed awy at 88 this past August). He always had trouble with his stomach, and used to gag on food etc., have a lot of pain after he ate.

I seem to take after my Dad in most areas, so. lucky me, I inheritted his tummy troubles.

Maggie
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#30 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that my mother had mature onset diabetes, and a bone disease called Paget's Disease. Mum also had heart troubles, and died 2001 after a lot of heart/lung problems.
On my Dad's side, there is a lot of cancer, as well as the problems I mentioned. My Dad died of bladder cancer.

Maggie
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: