This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heritage

Rikki Tikki

lovegrov Collaborator

Mostly English, some Cajun, and a tiny bit of American Indian from many generations ago.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

strack2004 Rookie

Not diagnosed with celiac, but on the diet with improvement in some areas. Parents both had digestion issues. Paternal Grandmother, also. Didn't know that many of my family members. My parents were both from large families, but younger than the others. My heritage is German-Norwegian. Don't think my two sisters have had digestive problems. One daughter does out of my six children. Really don't know about my 18 grandchildren. My 1 great-grand daughter doesn't have problems. There is diabetes on both sides, especially paternal side. I think everybody had it of those I know about. One of my daughters is pre-diabetic. Lots of arthritis on both sides, glaucoma also. Ruth S.

YankeeDB Contributor

I'm joining the Irish, Scotch-Irish, English crowd!

I have one brother with a weak positive (blood test and endoscopy), another tested negative.

I suspect very strongly my mother had a bad case that was never diagnosed before she died.

Maggie1956 Rookie

My mother's side is English/Scotish. I don't think her family had celiac disease anywhere. Just thyoid trouble (which I also have).

My father's side is mainly English. I'm not too sure what else.

I think Dad had coeliac disease. (He passed awy at 88 this past August). He always had trouble with his stomach, and used to gag on food etc., have a lot of pain after he ate.

I seem to take after my Dad in most areas, so. lucky me, I inheritted his tummy troubles.

Maggie

Maggie1956 Rookie

Oh yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that my mother had mature onset diabetes, and a bone disease called Paget's Disease. Mum also had heart troubles, and died 2001 after a lot of heart/lung problems.

On my Dad's side, there is a lot of cancer, as well as the problems I mentioned. My Dad died of bladder cancer.

Maggie

McDougall Apprentice

It really amazes me how everything is making sense. You all even have the same heritage as me. I was born in London, I'm 75% English and 25% Scottish, lived in usa for most my life. My parents both had/have alot of health issues, hard to say if they had/have Celiac. My Mom died from inflammatory breast cancer and had digestive problems most of her life. She wasn't the type to ever let it on though, the fact that I know she had issues with her belly really makes me think, she had a 4 inch hole in her back she woudn't tell anyone about from a horrible operation so it's hard to say. My Dad has been severly brain damaged for decades so again it's hard to say.

Nice to meet you all btw I live in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 51 hours gluten-free

dmchr4 Apprentice

My 8 yo daughter is the one that likely has celiac. (positive AGa test, feeling better after almost 2 weeks on gluten-free diet.)

My mother- is swedish

My dad - english ancestry

My husband's mother - english (I think)

My husband's father - danish

On my side, my mother's mother died of lung cancer (chain smoker). My brother and sister had terrible food allergies as children, sister still has them, brother eats what he wants but maybe still has them. My mother has all sorts of wierd health problems (I think she's been going through menopause for about 10 years now). I hate to say it but I really don't know what all her symptoms are because she complains so much I tune her out. I had stomachaches every day in 1st grade, my mom had to get me from school every day around 1p.m. Then we moved and they went away. Around highschool, I started to have episodes of very painful stomachaches, bloating, gas & diarrhea. This mostly went away after I got married and pregnant with my first kid. But I do still occasionally get bad stomachaches and diarrhea. I'm also pretty skinny (105 and 5'4") and I don't gain weight (unless I'm pregnant) and I'm wondering if maybe I have celiac disease too. (Although I really don't want it - like anyone does! - until I figure out how to cook tastier gluten-free foods! Today's cookie baking episode was NOT really encouraging! :) )

On my husband's side, his 76 yo father has been healthy his whole life, doesn't drink/smoke but he had lymphoma about 7 years ago (now apparently gone.) His 7mother is in terrible shape (after nine kids!) - on dialysis, has diabetes, and probably some other problems but those are the big ones. My husband has acid reflux and joint pain, but no other apparent symptoms, but I still wonder if he's the one that has celiac disease, or maybe both of us. I'm probably just getting paranoid!

No one else in the family has been tested yet, since this is so new to us. BTW, is there a best (covered by insurance) test to get a positive diagnosis w/o a biopsy?

When my daughter goes back to the doctor in about 3 weeks we'll think about testing the rest of the family.

My daughter has about 55 or 60 first cousins! (Too tired to count them all right now.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gypsyfey Newbie

I am German French Irish & Scottish. Although they won't get tested, I am sure that my mother and at least 2 of my kids are suffering from celiac disease. Has anyone else heard that the rate is much higher in twins? My husband and I each have a set of twins and all four have celiac disease.

My husband is Scottish, Welsh and more Scots. He was diagnosed 9 yrs ago. Since then his parents have also gone gluten-free. They are convinced that his only brother also has celiac disease, but he has no interest in being tested. I think people shy away from the testing because a doc tells them that they have IBS, and they don't have to change much. Going gluten-free is such a major thing, most people would rather just live with what they have always delt with.

haans42 Newbie

Hi,

Prussian, (Eastern Germany before Poland was created after WWI) Austrian, and Azerbijani.

As I understand it celiac is more common among people from central Europe.

Haans

Guest shai

Mother's side= Irish

Father's side= Irish and Native American

FreyaUSA Contributor

An interesting addition...my husband's coworker just had her son diagnosed with celiac disease (and soy allergy as well.) They're from Nigeria.

llj012564 Newbie

Mostly German from both sides B) then its a mix of Northern Europe

Grandfather died : Colon cancer

Father : Colon Polyps

Brother : Colon Polyps

You think I can get them to even listen to the Idea that they may have celiac disease and should be tested...... <_< Even though they both have many symptoms they dont want to listen :unsure: I blame it on the stuborn German blood <_< Maybe someday I will get them to see the connection.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yes, i know the german stubbornness :lol: . I'm from germany, my mother has colon polyps, too. I try to convince her since 6 month now to get the biopsy. No success so far. Well, in germany we have a proverb: Who doesn't want to listen has to suffer.

Nice greetings, Stef

• 2 weeks later...
tyki Newbie

Father's side -

Scottish Grandmother (years of people thinking her inability to eat wheat was all in her head but they played along to keep her happy).

Irish Grandfather - really don't have health history on him, he was killed in an auto accident when I was young.

Paternal Uncle - HD, but at 75 he says he's not changing his diet...he just weighs how much he wants the gluten item, against the discomfort of the rash. He says at his age, somethings gonna get him, why make himself miserable to delay it further.

Dad - Adult onset lactose intolerance, and "vague issues" resolved when he cut back on bread when he went on Atkins diet.

Mother's side -

English Grandmother - Adult onset diabetic

Czechoslavakian Grandfater - He was in immigrant to the US, complications from Parkinson's took him at the rich age of 95.

Mom - Adult onset diabetes

I don't have blood test diagnosis, but my doc is convinced from food challenge that Celiac is the answer to the problems I have.

Daughter says she has some minor problems when she eats wheat products.

Grandson was tested for autism (came back negative) but may be borderline ADHD. His pediatrician has taken my family history into account and decided to NOT complete grandson's immunizations. Some of the vaccinations are wheat based.

Archived