7 replies to this topic

#1 truthsearcher

truthsearcher

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

I fed my sourdough starter yesterday. It was foaming nicely after 12 hours.
I proceeded to make the bread and it's now been another 12 hours and nothing is happening. I don't know what I did wrong. It's in a nice warm spot with a tea cloth on top.

Can anyone give me a site to look at to see what to do or talk me through this.

I loved making all kinds of yeasts breads with wheat in the past now with sourdough and brown rice I am a complete novice.
Thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:47 AM

I have nothing hopeful or helpful to add. I gave up on getting sourdough to work. Maybe you don't have enough protein in your flour mix?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 truthsearcher

truthsearcher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Well.... It turned out pretty lousy, but eatable.
The top was hard and when I cut it, it crumbled to pieces. The center was nice and moist, so maybe turn down the heat a bit and try again :rolleyes:

I do have to say it did taste quite like the brown rice loaf from Little Streams Bakery(if anyone has tried that one.)

I think I'm gonna try the quinoa loaf next week.

Thanks

#4 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 04:47 AM

I fed my sourdough starter yesterday. It was foaming nicely after 12 hours.
I proceeded to make the bread and it's now been another 12 hours and nothing is happening. I don't know what I did wrong. It's in a nice warm spot with a tea cloth on top.

Can anyone give me a site to look at to see what to do or talk me through this.

I loved making all kinds of yeasts breads with wheat in the past now with sourdough and brown rice I am a complete novice.
Thank you.

I keep liquid acidophilus on hand. When I feed my pet or portion out for a project, I add a tiny bit of the acidophilus. I don't measure but would say it is about a Tablespoon for my pet and a teaspoon for a project.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#5 hayley3

hayley3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:56 AM

Don't give up. I started my starter the middle of October and I have made the most fantastic breads, cupcakes and biscuits. The pancakes stunk though, so I'm still working on them.

However, I'm here to find out about sourdough and celiac disease because I'm pretty sure I have it because I have vitamin deficiencies and autoimmune thyroid. So how long is the sourdough supposed to ferment? Are there any specific guidelines for celiac disease or is just any sourdough recipe okay?
Susie

Well.... It turned out pretty lousy, but eatable.
The top was hard and when I cut it, it crumbled to pieces. The center was nice and moist, so maybe turn down the heat a bit and try again :rolleyes:

I do have to say it did taste quite like the brown rice loaf from Little Streams Bakery(if anyone has tried that one.)

I think I'm gonna try the quinoa loaf next week.

Thanks

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.

#6 truthsearcher

truthsearcher

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hi Susie.
I am new to gluten intolerance. I am not even sure I have it but feel better gluten free.

You definitely have to have a non gluten starter to have it be gluten free. You can't use any starter.

I got my starter from G.E.M cultures and is a brown rice sourdough. I plan on using quinoa or millet next.

BTW I would love any of your famous sourdough recipies.

The only thing is... I can't have any dairy, chocolate, or sugar as well.

Thanks for posting.

TS

#7 Mom23boys

Mom23boys

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

You definitely have to have a non gluten starter to have it be gluten free. You can't use any starter.

Not necessarily, there was an article not too long ago about a study done with true, old-fashioned sourdough and celiacs/gluten sensitive. According to the article the enzymes in the starter would predigest the gluten (sounds gross) making it tolerable. I believe they did villi testing too in addition to just "feel good" results.

By true old fashioned starter I mean the kind that you sit on your counter for days with water, flour and enzyme. NOT the prepackaged store bought kind that is basically a flavor packet and you use with yeast.
Shellfish free since 1980
Milk free (all forms) since 1991
Feingold in 2003
First gluten-free round 2007
Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

#8 hayley3

hayley3

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Oh no....I didn't realize the starter could not be regular sourdough.
I read that celiacs could tolerate sourdough if it was fermented for 24 hrs and was only 30% of the dough.
I had planned to change to whole grain spelt. I believe I read that our current supplies of wheat are GMO wheat and that it has changed the gluten proteins. And that the heirloom varieties would be better tolerated. I"m no expert, but I'm hoping. I've never even heard of rice sourdough.

My cupcakes are chocolate and have sugar. Sorry. Breads and biscuits are just normal recipes, but they turned out better than I expected sourdough to turn out. They weren't sour at all.

How do you know you can't have sugar? I've heard about dairy and chocolate but never heard that anyone was sensitive to sugar unless it was fruit sugar.
Susie

Hi Susie.
I am new to gluten intolerance. I am not even sure I have it but feel better gluten free.

I got my starter from G.E.M cultures and is a brown rice sourdough. I plan on using quinoa or millet next.

BTW I would love any of your famous sourdough recipies.

The only thing is... I can't have any dairy, chocolate, or sugar as well.

Thanks for posting.

TS

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: