arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Baking Mix - Without Potato, Corn Or Tapioca?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:22 AM

Now that I am not eating potato - there goes the potato starch that's in about every baking mix recipe and product. I have other limitations, too, as I cannot use cornstarch or tapioca.

Has anyone been successful in making baked goods with just rice flours and perhaps sweet rice flour, without the other starches?
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 HiDee

HiDee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:08 AM

I should think that you could use arrowroot starch as a substitute.

#3 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Yes, I was thinking arrowroot starch, and I am really in love with sorghum flour right now.

Ok, in my Carol Fenster book, she says for cornstarch you can substitute an equal amount of:
potato starch
arrowroot starch
amaranth starch

For potato starch, subtitute an equal amount of:
arrowroot
cornstarch
lotus root starch
amaranth starch

She says that the benefit to tapioca flour is that it helps browning and makes a crispier crust.

Hope that helps!
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#4 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Thank you. This is a help.

I didn't even know there was an amaranth starch. I may have to look for it.

I do use arrowroot - it imparts an almost sweet, citrus flavor - which is sort of odd in bread or biscuits, but I do use it in muffins and other sweet breads.

Lotus root starch??? Another one I've never heard of. Wonder where one finds it.
Valda
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#5 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

I did a Google search for both lotus root starch and amaranth starch - didn't find a retail source for either of them. Bummer!
Valda
Hypoglycemic

#6 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

Amaranth starch can be found at: http://www.nuworldfo...p?grouping_id=4
Purchase carefully- amaranth flour and amaranth starch are not the same thing.

Lotus root is used in Asian cooking, so I bet you'd be able to find lotus root starch in an Asian market.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#7 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the link, Sarah.

I took a quick look at the site - there's other things there, too, that I might want to try. Maybe the Amaranth-Os, breakfast cereal and some snack crackers.
Valda
Hypoglycemic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: