This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whey Protein Gluten Problem

abdab

abdab Newbie

Whey protein is gluten free, but I have notice several manufacturers now include peptide bonded glutamine as an extra ingredient in their supplements which is apparently derived from hydrolysed wheat gluten.

Most manufacturers with the added peptide bonded glutamine do now not claim the whey protein as gluten free but I have noticed at least one who does.

I have emailed the manufacturers and await responses.

But does anybody out there know if this peptide bonded glutamine does contain gluten or has it been treated such that the gluten content is removed ?

This stuff is appearing in lots of protein supplements that would previously have been gluten free.

Any thoughts??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ewalton Newbie

Glutamine is one of the amino acids (building blocks of proteins- see Open Original Shared Link and isn't actually related to gluten, even though they sound similar.

"peptide bonded" is also a bit of a confusing phrase. A "peptide bond" is the way 2 amino acids stick together. So peptide bonded glutamine just means "we added extra glutamine, and it's attached the way it usually is".

I never knew my college chemistry classes would be so useful.

-Em

abdab Newbie
Glutamine is one of the amino acids (building blocks of proteins- see Open Original Shared Link and isn't actually related to gluten, even though they sound similar.

"peptide bonded" is also a bit of a confusing phrase. A "peptide bond" is the way 2 amino acids stick together. So peptide bonded glutamine just means "we added extra glutamine, and it's attached the way it usually is".

I never knew my college chemistry classes would be so useful.

-Em

I dont have a problem with glutamine, just the peptide bonded glutamine.

Here are some quotes from a few articles:-

"Glutamine Peptide derives from wheat gluten and therefore appears brownish in color and may have an unpleasant taste"

"glutamine peptide (wheat gluten hydrolysate) in "

"Peptide Bonded Glutamine 800 mg. (as hydrolized wheat gluten)"

"Peptide Bonded Glutamine (as hydrolized wheat gluten)"

"Glutamine Peptide by definition is L-Glutamine, peptide bonded (a chemical bond between two amino acids) to another amino acid or several other amino acids in a chain (protein). Within the supplement industry Glutamine Peptide means . . . . wheat protein. What

ewalton Newbie

I should've know college chemistry wouldn't actually apply to the real world. You're absolutely right. I looked at some of the links you sent, and it looks like it does nearly always derive from wheat, at least in human food products- it's a wheat gluten hydrolysate. Supposedly it can be made gluten-free: Open Original Shared Link

There is corn gluten hydrolysate, but the references to that are almost all about how it can be used as an herbicide.

I'd suggest calling the companies that claim that their supplements are gluten-free. Ask them where their peptide-bonded glutamine comes from, and if it's wheat, I'd ask for lab test results to confirm the gluten-free claim before eating any of it.

Or just finding a different supplement :(

-Em

georgie Enthusiast

I have been using a whey based protein powder that is labelled gluten-free. I was worrying about the dairy content but now I have symptoms of a Glutening ( fatigue, constipation, headache). I will go and check the label !

(edited) YES - it has Glutamine Peptide. What does this mean? Have I been Glutening myself ?

PDN Newbie
Whey protein is gluten free, but I have notice several manufacturers now include peptide bonded glutamine as an extra ingredient in their supplements which is apparently derived from hydrolysed wheat gluten.

Most manufacturers with the added peptide bonded glutamine do now not claim the whey protein as gluten free but I have noticed at least one who does.

I have emailed the manufacturers and await responses.

But does anybody out there know if this peptide bonded glutamine does contain gluten or has it been treated such that the gluten content is removed ?

This stuff is appearing in lots of protein supplements that would previously have been gluten free.

Any thoughts??

Stear clear of proteins that contain glutamine peptides as in most cases they are derived from wheat. Your top quality proteins such as isolates still have peptides in them and are therefore not gluten free. Be cautious with weight gainers also. I'm researching protein powders to be sure they are safe enough for people with Celiac Disease. ;)

abdab Newbie
Stear clear of proteins that contain glutamine peptides as in most cases they are derived from wheat. Your top quality proteins such as isolates still have peptides in them and are therefore not gluten free. Be cautious with weight gainers also. I'm researching protein powders to be sure they are safe enough for people with Celiac Disease. ;)

Yes I think that any supplements with glutamine peptide, or peptide bonded glutamine, should be avoided. I also agree with the caution with weight gainers as most of these seem to contain gluten.

I have had limited success in getting replies from manufacturers. The manufactuer with the protein supposedly containing glutamine peptide and claiming it to be gluen free has replied to state that their distributor had made an error in their advertising and that there was no glutamine peptide in the powder and it was gluten free.

You say you are researching protein powders. What sort of research?? Do you mean your own investigations or do you mean scientific research??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

Hi,

I just noticed your L-glutamine controversy. This worries me since it has seemed like L-glutamine has helped me considerably.

However the kind I use is pure--not with an energy bar or anything else. Its pharmaceutical grade and says its gluten, wheat, soy, milk, sugar etc. free. Its called Essential Glutmine Powder by Iron Tek. Taking the pure powder its pretty inexpensive and supposedly more effective.

I take it at night just before I go to bed and often first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with co-enzyme B vitamins and bromelain/papain and nattokinase (these last for the fibronilytic/anti-scar tissue effect--important for the gut as well as scar tissue elsewhere as well as thickening arteries etc.). It seems to give me more energy and I at least thought it helps heal the gut. I've also read L-glutamine naturally helps kick in more anti-aging hormones. I have noticed no ill effect.

Any comments??

--Yolo

johnsoniu Apprentice
Hi,

I just noticed your L-glutamine controversy. This worries me since it has seemed like L-glutamine has helped me considerably.

However the kind I use is pure--not with an energy bar or anything else. Its pharmaceutical grade and says its gluten, wheat, soy, milk, sugar etc. free. Its called Essential Glutmine Powder by Iron Tek. Taking the pure powder its pretty inexpensive and supposedly more effective.

I take it at night just before I go to bed and often first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with co-enzyme B vitamins and bromelain/papain and nattokinase (these last for the fibronilytic/anti-scar tissue effect--important for the gut as well as scar tissue elsewhere as well as thickening arteries etc.). It seems to give me more energy and I at least thought it helps heal the gut. I've also read L-glutamine naturally helps kick in more anti-aging hormones. I have noticed no ill effect.

Any comments??

--Yolo

To further muddy up the discussion, I found this reference that says L-glutamine and peptide bonded glutamine are not the same thing.

Open Original Shared Link

I agree that we should steer clear of anything containing peptide bonded glutamine, but pure form L-glutamine should be fine. I think the article listed above has a link for the L-glutamine powder that says on its label it is gluten free.

Sigh, this all used to be sooo much easier B)

abdab Newbie

L-Glutamine is glutamine which is gluten free.

It is the glutamine peptide, or peptide bonded glutamine, which should be avoided.

YoloGx Rookie
L-Glutamine is glutamine which is gluten free.

It is the glutamine peptide, or peptide bonded glutamine, which should be avoided.

Thank heavens!

Has anyone else noticed how the L-Glutamine helps the gut and boosts the hormonal and muscular systems--as well as lessens sugar cravings?

--Yolo

PDN Newbie
Thank heavens!

Has anyone else noticed how the L-Glutamine helps the gut and boosts the hormonal and muscular systems--as well as lessens sugar cravings?

--Yolo

Just so you know L-Glutamine helps the body repair, our bodies simply do not produce enough of it, and even less as we age.....this is why it's been helping. By you taking it at night is the best thing you can do for yourself, as the body naturally repairs itself while we sleep. Cudo's to you!

Now as for sugar craving??? Couldn't tell ya, you might be getting less craving due to your diet and eating patterns? As for boosting the muscular system and hormonal system - how long has it been since you got a cold or flu, while taking L-Glutamine???? Probably been a while as it also boost your immune system!

Keep up the good work - stay healthy!

• 1 month later...
PDN Newbie

If you're looking for a safe gluten-free whey protein to drink try EAS. They are one of the very few products on the market that are completely gluten-free. I have personally checked this out for a client who has celiac disease.

Another safe protein - a gainer style protein shake that is completely gluten free is Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice. All flavours are safe for celiac patients and people whom prefer a gluten-free healthy lifestyle.

All the best,

Elaine and Peter

• 2 weeks later...
printmaker81 Rookie

I'm so happy I found this thread!! I switched back to being a vegetarian last summer and have been taking supplements. I thought I was feeling crappy because my stomach wasn't used to them or something. No...glutamine peptide is the culprit. Thanks for the tips on the muscle milk and EAS...I'm switching over.

• 11 months later...
pabstj Newbie
If you're looking for a safe gluten-free whey protein to drink try EAS. They are one of the very few products on the market that are completely gluten-free. I have personally checked this out for a client who has celiac disease.

Another safe protein - a gainer style protein shake that is completely gluten free is Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice. All flavours are safe for celiac patients and people whom prefer a gluten-free healthy lifestyle.

All the best,

Elaine and Peter

You can also add bioplex to that list.

maile Newbie

Thanks for this, at least now I know what to look for and why I was feeling symptoms the last couple of days (insert head banging smiley here) :(

btw, with the EAS powders I was told they are not great if you are lactose intolerant but otherwise they rank up there

• 1 month later...
Jamie Contributor

I use Gold Standard 100% Whey.... I called the company and they said it was gluten free. It doesn't make me sick. I read the ingredients again after reading this thread... they say... Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptidies) Is that the same thing as the glutamine peptides?

Bassets&Bengals Newbie

I've been using "Designer Whey" and the ingredients include L-Glutamine and not glutamine peptide...

chatycady Explorer
I use Gold Standard 100% Whey.... I called the company and they said it was gluten free. It doesn't make me sick. I read the ingredients again after reading this thread... they say... Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptidies) Is that the same thing as the glutamine peptides?

I see your hypoglycemic. Doesn't whey protein give you hypoglycemia? The sugar (Lactose) in whey?

• 2 months later...
emptyhead Newbie

I supplement 5 grams of L-Glutamine in the morning and I also use protein powders with added L-Glutamine.

L-Glutamine helps to heal the lining of the intestines and also aids in muscle recovery. It is the amino acid that is most abundant and most used by skeletal muscle.

• 4 weeks later...
Mskedi Newbie

I was thinking about getting the whey protein isolate microfiltrated from trueprotein.com. In the allergen warnings, it states that it is entirely gluten-free, so it should be fine.

• 4 months later...
Jonathan Newbie

I contacted Optimum Nutrition and asked for a list of their gluten free products. This is the reply I received on Saturday (4 days ago):

Thank you for your interest in Optimum Nutrition products. The

following products are those to avoid; those which absolutely contain

gluten:

100% Whey Gold Standard-Cookies n' Cream (cookie pieces)

100% Casein Gold Standard (cookie pieces)

Serious Mass-all flavors(glutamine peptides)

Aftermax-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex Gainer-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Nitro-Core 24 - all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Lift Bar - Cookies & Cream (glutamine peptides)

Mor'sos-Cookies and Cream (cookie pieces) - Discontinued

*To the best of our knowledge these are the only products that contain

gluten. While we are not adding gluten to our other products, we cannot

say with 100% certainty that our other products are gluten-free. We use

the same equipment to make products with and without gluten. Although

the equipment is cleaned in-between, trace amounts of gluten may remain.

Glamour Explorer

Glutathione (GSH) happens to be your body

• 1 month later...
CMCM Rising Star

Jay Robb makes various protein powders...whey, egg white, rice, and he states on his site they are gluten free. I've tried them, they are good, but quite expensive. Whole Foods sells them, too. Here's a link: Open Original Shared Link

RachelCaila Newbie

Hi,

My gym uses this company called Royal Smoothie Company: Whey protein and also advertises energy boosts, Focus boosts and fat burning boosts. I can't reach the company to see if these products are gluten free. Is anyone familiar with these products. I would love some of these drinks but am afraid to try them.

Thanks,

Rachel

Archived