34 replies to this topic

#16 maile

maile

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for this, at least now I know what to look for and why I was feeling symptoms the last couple of days (insert head banging smiley here) :(

btw, with the EAS powders I was told they are not great if you are lactose intolerant but otherwise they rank up there
Enterolab:
Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 11 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score <300 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)
Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 5,5)
(this makes sense, my mother had MS)

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Jamie

Jamie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

I use Gold Standard 100% Whey.... I called the company and they said it was gluten free. It doesn't make me sick. I read the ingredients again after reading this thread... they say... Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptidies) Is that the same thing as the glutamine peptides?
Hypoglycemic -since 1993
Hypothyroid- since 2000
Celiac- since 3/10/09

#18 Bassets&Bengals

Bassets&Bengals

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

I've been using "Designer Whey" and the ingredients include L-Glutamine and not glutamine peptide...

#19 chatycady

chatycady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I use Gold Standard 100% Whey.... I called the company and they said it was gluten free. It doesn't make me sick. I read the ingredients again after reading this thread... they say... Protein Blend(Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Peptidies) Is that the same thing as the glutamine peptides?

I see your hypoglycemic. Doesn't whey protein give you hypoglycemia? The sugar (Lactose) in whey?
Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.
Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

#20 emptyhead

emptyhead

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I supplement 5 grams of L-Glutamine in the morning and I also use protein powders with added L-Glutamine.

L-Glutamine helps to heal the lining of the intestines and also aids in muscle recovery. It is the amino acid that is most abundant and most used by skeletal muscle.

#21 Mskedi

Mskedi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:15 AM

I was thinking about getting the whey protein isolate microfiltrated from trueprotein.com. In the allergen warnings, it states that it is entirely gluten-free, so it should be fine.

#22 Jonathan

Jonathan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

I contacted Optimum Nutrition and asked for a list of their gluten free products. This is the reply I received on Saturday (4 days ago):

Thank you for your interest in Optimum Nutrition products. The
following products are those to avoid; those which absolutely contain
gluten:

100% Whey Gold Standard-Cookies n' Cream (cookie pieces)

100% Casein Gold Standard (cookie pieces)

Serious Mass-all flavors(glutamine peptides)

Aftermax-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Pro Complex Gainer-all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Nitro-Core 24 - all flavors (glutamine peptides)

Lift Bar - Cookies & Cream (glutamine peptides)

Mor'sos-Cookies and Cream (cookie pieces) - Discontinued

*To the best of our knowledge these are the only products that contain
gluten. While we are not adding gluten to our other products, we cannot
say with 100% certainty that our other products are gluten-free. We use
the same equipment to make products with and without gluten. Although
the equipment is cleaned in-between, trace amounts of gluten may remain.

#23 Glamour

Glamour

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:34 PM

Glutathione (GSH) happens to be your body’s best-kept secret in the war against free radicals and the signs of aging.
Glutathione acts as your body’s “master” antioxidant and detoxifier. It is a tri-peptide made up of the amino acids cysteine,
glutamine, and glycine. There are higher levels of GSH in organic whey protein found in Thunder™ than with any other protein
you could eat.

Is this safe? My shake is Forevergreen Thunder chocolate.

#24 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Jay Robb makes various protein powders...whey, egg white, rice, and he states on his site they are gluten free. I've tried them, they are good, but quite expensive. Whole Foods sells them, too. Here's a link: http://www.jayrobb.c...RobbProtein.asp
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#25 RachelCaila

RachelCaila

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:20 AM

Hi,

My gym uses this company called Royal Smoothie Company: Whey protein and also advertises energy boosts, Focus boosts and fat burning boosts. I can't reach the company to see if these products are gluten free. Is anyone familiar with these products. I would love some of these drinks but am afraid to try them.

Thanks,

Rachel

#26 felix6cat

felix6cat

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

If you're looking for a safe gluten-free whey protein to drink try EAS. They are one of the very few products on the market that are completely gluten-free. I have personally checked this out for a client who has celiac disease.

Another safe protein - a gainer style protein shake that is completely gluten free is Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice. All flavours are safe for celiac patients and people whom prefer a gluten-free healthy lifestyle.

All the best,
Elaine and Peter

I realize this post is 2 years old, so I'm assuming Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice probably changed their formula. According to their product information listing on a dealer's site, this product contains the peptide bonded glutamine, and would therefore be suspect (quote and website source below). Does anyone use this product and have up to date info on whether or not it's gluten-free? Seems like a good product if it is.

Source: http://www6.netritio...ution_2600.html

"....In addition to the precursors to glutamine present in this protein, you get 1000 mg of glutamine per serving which includes the breakthrough L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine. This powerful dipeptide may protect against muscle degradation and provides fuel for exercise to help you go the distance."

#27 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

For those who can't or don't want to consume dairy, there are pea protein powders on the market. For example, NOW Foods makes a pure pea protein powder, with nothing else added at all. It actually has more L-Glutamine than the whey powders I compared it too. It does have a legume smell, but so far doesn't seem to foul up the things I've put it in.

I'm not convinced that L-Glutamine works for everyone. I actually did try it, but stopped taking it because my gut let me know it wasn't happy with it. Although at the time I may have still been getting CC from something. I still have the bottle, so maybe I'll try it again. You can be sure I'll post about the results if there's anything to report.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#28 bentramer1981

bentramer1981

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

If you're looking for a safe gluten-free whey protein to drink try EAS. They are one of the very few products on the market that are completely gluten-free. I have personally checked this out for a client who has celiac disease.

Another safe protein - a gainer style protein shake that is completely gluten free is Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice. All flavours are safe for celiac patients and people whom prefer a gluten-free healthy lifestyle.

All the best,
Elaine and Peter

EAS has Oats in it (they claim to be certified gluten free) but it tore me up every-time, I remember the top of my brain feeling like moosh and getting cramped up. I had to stop taking this in college because it was essentially kryptonite. :( If you're an athlete beware.

#29 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

It is useful to update this information as a user beware; however, this is an old post and the poster is probably no longer around.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#30 TheCornInGrove

TheCornInGrove

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:10 AM

I realize this post is 2 years old, so I'm assuming Ultimate Nutrition's Muscle Juice probably changed their formula. According to their product information listing on a dealer's site, this product contains the peptide bonded glutamine, and would therefore be suspect (quote and website source below). Does anyone use this product and have up to date info on whether or not it's gluten-free? Seems like a good product if it is.

Source: http://www6.netritio...ution_2600.html

"....In addition to the precursors to glutamine present in this protein, you get 1000 mg of glutamine per serving which includes the breakthrough L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine. This powerful dipeptide may protect against muscle degradation and provides fuel for exercise to help you go the distance."

Even if there is l-alanyl and l- Glycin in there, it doesnt mean that this aminos r gained from wheat. It also can be gained from whey, as my research was right.
I asked the manufacturer about gluten in there weight gainers and they claimed - even if it seemed to be an automated mail - their gainers (w/o cookies) r gluten free.

Im still scared, but i rly want such weight gainer to get some weight/muscles...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: