9 replies to this topic

#1 maze4

maze4

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

We have been on a gluten-free diet since March of this year. Thank goodness I cook and bake however, I am having a terrible time converting recipes. I'm polish and we use alot of noodle and bread recipes. I used to make biscuits, pierogi, and such and I tried recipe after recipe with no luck. Is there 1 gluten-free flour that I can puchase in bulk that will substitute for the real deal or will I have to continue to combine flours? Also, can someone explain xanthum gum and how do you measure for the recipes. I appreciate any and all help!!!!! I bake alot at Christmas but this year I'm not looking forward.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker

Adavanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

I think the ratio for xanthan gum is 1 teaspoon per 1 1/2 cups flour.

I always mix my own all-purpose flour, and I use Betty Hangman's blend- 2 parts rice flour, 2/3 cornstarch/potato starch, 1/3 tapioca starch. I go to that effort because it's less expensive.

But I've also had excellent results using Gluten Free Pantry's Beth's All Purpose Flour Blend. I have seen it available in bulk.
-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007
--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.
--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.
--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

#3 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

I use this recipe(the same one ridgewalker uses):

Bette Hagman’s Featherlite Rice Flour mix
Makes 9 C

3 C rice flour
3 C tapioca flour
3 C cornstarch
3 T Potato flour

This works great in recipes that call for "flour". I also use 1 tsp xanthan for every 1.5 C flour!

#4 maze4

maze4

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

Thanx It would be nice to be able to just buy 1 bag of flour instead of mixing but whatever works the best then I'm there. I'm tired to trying recipes only for them to fail. I will try this combo in my next batch of cookies.

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:25 PM

Thanx It would be nice to be able to just buy 1 bag of flour instead of mixing but whatever works the best then I'm there. I'm tired to trying recipes only for them to fail. I will try this combo in my next batch of cookies.

Maze, it's kind of a given that a lot of hte gluten-free stuff you make at first will be scary and inedible. Someone actually made a joke about having a perfect score tossing things from the oven to the trash. Don't worry, things will get better. Maybe you could share some of the recipes that haven't worked out for you and we could take a gander at them?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

Personally, I like the Land O Lakes version. It works nice in almost every recipe I try.

And adding the xanthan gum when using yeast.

Of course, last week I mixed Teff, white rice and tapioca and corn starch and it worked GREAT! Almost had a "wheat" taste to it...and on the first two days a wheat texture too.

:)

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:29 PM

You can buy bags of mixed flour. That's usually what I do. Would LOVE it if I could find a Pierogi recipe, but it would also have to be dairy and egg free.

#8 cyberprof

cyberprof

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

Personally, I have hated anything that is mainly rice flour. Unfortunately, that means a combo of several flours.

I now use a combo of sorghum flour, potato starch and tapioca starch as a base for most yeast recipes, and it's more wheat-like than rice. I also use Bob's Red Mill mix or Pamela's Baking Mix for non-yeast recipes. I add almond flour (meal) or hazelnut meal to things for extra fiber and I add flax meal to baked goods. I've started to experiment with teff flour and would like to use amaranth too.

Good luck and happy baking!
Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States

#9 bakingbarb

bakingbarb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:19 PM

We have been on a gluten-free diet since March of this year. Thank goodness I cook and bake however, I am having a terrible time converting recipes. I'm polish and we use alot of noodle and bread recipes. I used to make biscuits, pierogi, and such and I tried recipe after recipe with no luck. Is there 1 gluten-free flour that I can puchase in bulk that will substitute for the real deal or will I have to continue to combine flours? Also, can someone explain xanthum gum and how do you measure for the recipes. I appreciate any and all help!!!!! I bake alot at Christmas but this year I'm not looking forward.

I too am fairly new and a baker at heart (bakingbarb!) so this does take some getting used to. THere is a thread on baking tips, read that. Lots of people give really good advice.
The thing I have learned the best is use your cookie recipes but sub the gluten-free flour and add the xanthan gum BUT most importantly freeze the cookie dough it works the best.
Someone posted a recipe for flourless peanut butter choc chip cookies, it comes from Epicurious.

I am looking at recipes that naturally call for small amount of flour such as many cake recipes, the best to sub out I am thinking are the ones that call for cake flour.

There is much out there for info, so good luck. But I will say, we have lots to learn. This baking isn't the same and you have to relearn much.
~Barb
Gluten Free October 18, 2007
YIPPEE for Gluten free

#10 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:17 PM

I'm polish and we use alot of noodle and bread recipes. I used to make biscuits, pierogi, and such and I tried recipe after recipe with no luck. Is there 1 gluten-free flour that I can puchase in bulk that will substitute for the real deal or will I have to continue to combine flours? Also, can someone explain xanthum gum and how do you measure for the recipes. I appreciate any and all help!!!!! I bake alot at Christmas but this year I'm not looking forward.

I like the basic recipe of 3 C Brown Rice flour, 1 C Potato Starch, 1/2 C Tapioca Starch and 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum. Sift together 3 times to get the xanthan gum evenly distributed. I use this for just about everything. (Sometimes I add more xanthan gum, like for Pelmini, or use a bit of bean flour, like for pizza crust.) I mix up 3-4 batches of this flour and store it in a gallon container in the refrigerator, then use it cup for cup for all-purpose flour. It's way cheaper than buying bags of pre-mixed flours.

Here's my recipe for Pelmini dough. Pelmini are the Russian equivilant of Pierogi.

1-1/4 C Brown Rice Flour
1/2 C Potato Starch
1/4 C Tapioca Flour
generous 2-1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2+ C Water

Sift dry ingredients 3 times. Add oil and water. You will probably need to add a little more water, but do it slowly. Stir until dough forms a ball. Make sure it is not dry! It should be smooth and almost creamy. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out on board dusted with Tapioca flour.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: