This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating Out Is Such A Pain In The Ass Now

jasonD2

jasonD2 Experienced

i went to a hockey game last night and there were tons of foods options at the arena, but i felt so uncomfortable and overwhelmed and took forever to find something. i wound up getting a plain grilled chicken salad with nothing on it and it sucked and of course something in the chicken made me bloated. what do u do in situations like this when you're with people and don't want to make a public announcement about your condition? ive been eating at home all the time and have been feeling great and whenever i get something in a restaurant i feel like crap no matter how hard i try to pick something that is seemingly gluten and dairy-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aikiducky Apprentice

The bad news is you can't just pick something that seems safe. You really need to ask about ingredients and the way things are prepared. Otherwise your going to be sick quite often.

I usually always carry some food with me. I eat at home, and then when I'm out and about I have some snacks with me. Then when I get home again I eat a more substantial meal.

In restaurants I always talk to the manager or the chef in person. Usually I just get up from the table and go and talk with them on my own. Or I ask for the manager right when we get in. It doesn't have to be a big deal, it just feels like it the first couple times.

The bottom line is you might feel awkward about explaining your diet to people at first, but really most people don't really care, they are more interested in their own business anyway, so if you just take care of what you need to without apologising and without making a big deal of it, they won't either. At first your friends might be curious, but if you just explain things in a matter of fact way, they'll get used to it.

Pauliina

gfp Enthusiast

Paulina says it all really...

It seems awkward at first ... but its mainly just not something we are used to doing.

Trying to guess what is gluten-free and what might not be is pretty likely to give bad results.

I was flying the other day just a short domestic hop and not a single item was gluten-free. I hoped the peanuts would be but they even had gluten listed in the allergies part... and these were not some fancy coated peanut, just plain old salted peanuts.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I usually pick a gluten free place when I know we are going to eat. If we are going to a hockey game I eat beforehand and sometimes sneak a snack in with me.

zkat Apprentice

I go to a lot of MLS Soccer games and I contacted FC Dallas and they gave me the name and number of the company that runs concessions at Dr. Pepper park. There are not a lot of options at Sporting or concert events, so I always eat before I go, bring snacks and stick to stuff I know is safe-M&M, Snickers etc.

If we are going out to dinner with friends, we pick a place that has options for me. I have been honest and upfront with my frineds and co-workers and I have never had a problem with soemone giving me a hard time.

I do follow a rule of thumb I heard on this forum. If it is to celebrate my day-it is my food and choice. If it is to celebrate someone else's day, then it is there food and I will adjust to accomodate them. A good example-my sister's Birthday-She wanted to eat a local Pizza Place (it's really good pizza). That was fine. I ate dinner before we went and concetracted on what was most important, being with my family.

Hope this helps.

Kat.

Crystalkd Contributor

I was wondering if snickers was gluten-free! I thought it was! anyway.... I can usually do Wendy's or Chick-fil-A without a problem. I'll eat a salad from Mc D's if I have too but I always try to call ahead or talk to the manager if need be. I'm getting used to the stares. It's not my fault!!!

CarolRM Newbie

I don't seem to be able to go anywhere anymore. Went out for lunch on Friday at Kelsey's, and remembered to ask about their fries and because they are coated, I skipped that and ended up ordering a plain burger minus the bun with a side salad with oil and vinegar dressing. Well guess what ... today is Sunday and I have spent the whole weekend not being able to eat a single thing. I'm wondering if there was soy in the vinegarette. Lesson learned though, from now on, I will also 'hold the dressing'. I seem to get glutened, or soy'd, at every turn.

I'm thinking that I will just eat at home from now on.

I can't imagine ever getting used to this :(

Carol

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Offthegrid Explorer

I *hate* eating out. I do it to be with friends and family.

Steamed veggies and chicken without soy sauce at a Chinese place sometimes works. Sometimes not.

key Contributor

I don't eat out much at all, because I haven't had a bit of luck! I get sick 99% of the time. Just ate at PF Chang's the other day and I don't know what they did, but had the big D for the whole day and sick as a dog the day before. It really stinks to not be able to eat out. I am SO terrified of getting gluttened, from all my bad experiences, that I can't enjoy the food I am served anyway!!

I am not much help.

Monica

babygirl1234 Rookie

i dont go out to eat much at all, if i do its ueslly chicken and baked potato from shish a (SP?) or if my aunt has the money she'll get me gluten-free pizza from pizza plant,

Rya Newbie

I suppose it firstly depends on how sensitive you are. Before Celiac, I worked at a nice italian restaurant (which I've heard does great gluten-free stuff - Buca di Beppo). Some things would concern me if I ate out: I have argued with the cooks about people's allergies and food preparation - some cooks get very irritated, others are great. Buca used to keep the container of croutons right above all of the salad plates and dressing containers. The rag they use to clean up plates (take extra splashes of sauce off and such) touches all the same plates; it's not a dirty practice, but a CC issue. Waitress touches bread, then sets a table with your silverware on it - OR there are bread crumbs all over your table from the people before. A kid eats bread and puts his mouth on the salt shaker (I've seen it happen). Just so many things could go wrong. Not to mention sometimes the servers are super busy sometimes and forget.

It sound like many many people on this forum eat out without issue. I can't do it. I travelled this weekend to spend time with my family and went overboard. I brought all my own food, demanded we had a hotel room with a microwave and a fridge. Half my family must thing I'm a health snob because I ate my own stuff instead of the food available. But whatever. I was doing just fine UNTIL I decided chocolate and coffee would be great. It was Godiva chocolate, the woman looked everything up and said it was gluten-free; I asked her questions it was all fine. I paid for my chocolate and ate it all. After I finished, we were talking and she told me none of the ingredients said "gluten." Oh!!! I thought perhaps she had looked up on some master list of allergens in the chocolate. But no. I asked her to run back and look for natural flavorings or the "contains" statement where it talks about manufacturing in plants with wheat or whatever. I was glutened. Son of a monkey. Lucky for me it must have been just a trace. Nothing but a fat stomach and some nausea to show for it. Although since I seem to pull something like this once a month I pretty much have a pregnant tummy all the time. Blah. Back of the closet for you Lucky jeans.

Anyway. Eating out does suck. I suppose take a day and go interrogate places all over town. Find one or two that you feel comfortable with and frequent them. It's probably the best way. If you are a regular they'll go to great lengths for you. Especially if they know they are one of the only places in town you can eat. Milk it for all you can. If you tip the cooks a couple of bucks, that may help the situation. It's terrible, but if they know you appreciate them who knows, they might cook up something special when they know you're coming.

Crystalkd Contributor

It also helps if you know people where your at. I know the cook of one Italian resturant and he understands allergies so I feel safe eating there. There is a bar I go to that I'm friends with alot of them so thry're careful. The only problems I have are because I eat corn when I really shouldn't.

mandasmom Rookie
It also helps if you know people where your at. I know the cook of one Italian resturant and he understands allergies so I feel safe eating there. There is a bar I go to that I'm friends with alot of them so thry're careful. The only problems I have are because I eat corn when I really shouldn't.

There are many Celiacs who eat out often..especially those with professional lives that keep them on the road alot. I will agree that eating out freqently does increase the likllihood of getting glutened. But I believe ist a risk worth taking. I never want this disease to limit my professional, personal or social choices!!

I almost always have a snack before I go anywhere..that way Im not starving if it doesnt go well. I have a pantry and freezer well stocked with grab and go foods. I am also very up front with people..I simply state that I have Celiac and must follow a very restricted diet.. ? It does help if you find a couple of local and conveneint places that will get to know you. When ever possible I view menus on line before going. I never really anticipate having a wonderful meal out...I ljust anticipate having a wonderful time with friends!!

Never be afraid to speak up to friends, cooworkers or restaurant managers!! And never leave the house hungry--that makes everything worse.

Hang in there..I promise you will adjust to your new normal and with any luck you will grow to embrace your personal health!!

CP

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I ALWAYS carry food with me.

I've had stomach issues for years (go figure) and I am also one of those people who gets hungry all the time and pretty much grazes, so if I'm really hungry I will eat almost anything. :P

I have this cute little lunch bag that has a big strap like a purse. It has two compartments and it's big enough to hold a water bottle. I carry it like a purse - to my kids' hockey games, shopping, on day trips, anywhere. I pack it with fruit, water, gluten-free crackers, leftovers, etc. When I go on a longer visit or something, say my in laws 10 hours away, I pack a lot of frozen goods as well - like home made muffins, scones (Bob's Red Mill sorghum flour has a great recipe), etc. Always be prepared !!!

You can purchase individual gluten-free soy sauces packages or salad dressing packages to take to restaurants too. My fast food of choice tends to be Wendy's chili (we don't eat out much anyway!).

I've also carried in a container of gluten-free cereal to a restaurant for breakfast and asked for a bowl, glass of milk, and a couple of poached eggs. Feels weird carrying in food but I still order some and I don't get sick.

Cynbd Contributor

I too always carry food with me. It's a hassle, but starving at the end of a long day is horrible. My son had water polo championship games all weekend and I was even able to sqeeze in a ballet that I have season tickets for. So, I packed two apples, two Lara bars, banana, bottle of mineral water, and a pre-cooked chicken breast. That got me through one very long day that started on pool deck at 7 am, and ended when I got home from the Ballet matinee at 5 pm when I at a regular meal cooked at home.

I pack my small cooler bag (looks like a little purse) and blue ice and I am on my way.

I always cook extra chicken breasts, for extra meals. They are easy to pack, and filling.

I stay away from dairy, but I used to throw in yogurts and crunchy things to put in it. Everything goes in a ziplock, which makes it easy to stay "contaminate free" and store if I can find a trash can right away.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I always carry food with me, too, especially to sporting events. I don't even try to eat vendor-type food. And, unfortunately, if you want to keep yourself safe, you have to publicize that you have celiac. You need to be up front with your waitstaff and give them all the information they need to get you a safe meal. You have to ask questions about ingredients because you never know how different restaurants prepare things. I can't tell you the number of times I've been surprised by ingredients. What do you mean you put beer in your margaritas??? It's something I never would have guessed without asking.

alamaz Collaborator

Yesterday I heard a great story, and a true one.

Two businessmen came in to the same restaurant a few times a month for meetings. Every time they were there they ordered the club sandwhich. The chef noticed the one gentleman always picked off the bread or tried to eat around it. Finally, he went over to ask the guy what was wrong with the bread and the guy admitted he has celiac but didn't want to make it an issue when he has this business meeting. The other guy started laughing because he apparently was allergic to several food things himself (but not a celiac). They both had food allergies but didn't want to speak up and suffered instead. Not surprisingly, the two work for a fast food company which is not allergy friendly so maybe that had something to do with it. Bottom line: every one has problems. Yours happen to be with gluten. Other peoples problems have to do with something else but they all have them no matter what type of game face they put on. Don't be afraid to speak up. Get a dining card, do your research before leaving the house and bring something along just in case. True friends and nice people won't be irritated by your requests. The chef yesterday telling the story said more people suffer in silence because they don't want to make a scene but really it's doing a disservice to other celiacs. The more we speak up and request gluten free foods the more restaurants will realize being able to offer a gluten-free meal is beneficial and becoming a growing need.

Alamaz- who is having a positive day and feels empowered which is unusual for a Monday :huh:

Sugarmag Newbie

Yup, eating out is a big pain in the ass!

The only places I've been going lately (about once a week) is Panera Bread and Carrabba's. I can't have gluten, soy or dairy. Panera has a few soups and salads I can have..with one safe dressing, and a few things at Carrabba's.

I do always bring something with me also. I went to the Elton John concert last night (which rocked!!!!!) and brought a Lara Bar with me, and candies in my purse. I made sure to eat before we went, and just got water while we were there.

Last year, I did get some peanuts in the shells at a hockey game. The bag said peanuts, salt, and cottonseed oil. So I felt safe with it, and was fine.

Archived