This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Kissing?

PixieChinchilla

PixieChinchilla Rookie

So I'm VERY new to the Celiac life. New enough that I haven't gotten a complete positive on all the tests yet, but I'm doing the diet and living the life just in case. I've been trying really hard to eliminate gluten from my diet... but I didn't even think about kissing! Now, I dont have a boyfriend at the moment, but that almost makes it worse, because kisses are more spontaneous when you aren't with someone you're EXPECTING to kiss. o.o

So is it true that I have to be careful who I kiss?

I'm sure the answer is yes, so the real question is: How careful do I have to be?

Thanks much. :]

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

This is the $10,000 question! It's difficult to answer. I have never been glutened by a kiss and yes, I have been kissed by many. Usually, whomever I am with has been told about my celiac disease though, I never hide it from anyone. I used to worry about kisses from my grandkids, cause they always were chewing on cookies or something, so I had to be very careful.

As for men, I do explain to them the importance of being careful with me. So far, so good. Kissing is something I love and I will not give it up, so if necessary, there is always a new toothbrush handy at my place. Of course, it's different when you are a teenager--I'm an old lady!!!!! :P

Honestly, I am so careful with everything in my life, I guess kissing is the most lax I ever am and still, I warn the man. I never really let kissing bother me though, it's not like I fret about it.

So, the decision is yours.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Eh...I'd say...be a little bit careful. Like, if the guy has a mouthful of bread (or just ate something extremely gluteny), maybe, possibly consider refraining :lol:. I wouldn't worry about to the point where you entirely give up spontaneous kissing though :rolleyes:

Mafyta Newbie

Next friday im dating a boy. I told him yesterday about my celiac disease and that before kissing, if he has eaten anything that contains gluten, he will have to brush his teeth. He says theres no problem, he will do it. So im happy.

I think that it depends on how allergic you are and on the boy you are gonna kiss. But is he kisses you suddenly, make sure he hadn

psawyer Proficient

Gluten can remain in the mouth after eating a food that contains it. A thorough brushing of the teeth should remove it. It is something to think about, especially if your partner is not aware of the risk.

I am gluten free. It is safe to kiss me. :lol: Just kidding, don't think that I am a dirty old man. Well, I am old, and I am a man, but...I'm married. :huh:

• 3 weeks later...
nakladane Newbie

My boyfriend has Celiac's, so I'm trying to follow the diet too. But I was told you have to brush your teeth, and then wait an hour before kissing, so that's what I've been doing every time I slip up. Is that true, or will a good brushing do it?

• 3 weeks later...
angeleyes- Newbie

I don't think you have to worry about it.. I have never worried about that really..

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

You just have to be a bit careful, everything should be fined :)

loco-ladi Contributor
I am gluten free. It is safe to kiss me. Just kidding, don't think that I am a dirty old man. Well, I am old, and I am a man, but...I'm married.

Figures, everytime I find the man of my dreams he's taken!

Just going to have to keep my current gluten eating hubby a while longer I guess :rolleyes:

Now for this most interesting subject.....

My hubby and his "friends" wer hanging out in the garage doing "guy stuff" (drinking beer, farting and being basically obnoxious as usual) I came home from work and he wandered into the room snuck up behind me spun me around and gave me a great big juicy kiss...

did I mention the drinking beer part...... it wasn't gluten-free beer... how do I know, cause I got sick.......

NOW since this gave him the biggest guilt trip I have ever seen... I got gluten-free breakfast in bed for 3 days, he slept in my awkward postion for a week (I slept like a baby... when I could sleep) he rubbed my back and he now brushes his teeth right before I come home from work, or right after he gets home from work..... and "IF" he hasn't had time to brush them and I go to grab one, he will turn his head and all I get is cheek...

So in my opinion yes you can get CC from a kiss, not sure how "fresh" the gluten has to be but after he brushes his teeth I have had no problems at all.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Figures, everytime I find the man of my dreams he's taken!

It's a shame isn't it :)

loco-ladi Contributor

he always has such fresh breath when he kisses me, thats defin a plus, lol

Eriella Explorer

I agree, you can be glutenated from a kiss. My ex came back from eating pizza and drinking beer and sure enough---BANG! I was sick. However, if he rinsed his mouth out with water after eating gluten, I was fine.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I am gluten free. It is safe to kiss me. :lol: Just kidding, don't think that I am a dirty old man. Well, I am old, and I am a man, but...I'm married. :huh:

:lol:

drinkin' martinis up there? :lol: silly goose.

I have never been glutened by a kiss, and since I've been gluten-free have dated three guys. Kissed 'em all. :ph34r: Nothing. One drank alcohol-free beer all the time.....nary a glutenization.

So, Merry Kissmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

angeleyes- Newbie

Hii again I have a big question about this.

are we talking about tounge kisses here or just a kiss on the lips?

My problem is that I never react if i get gluten in me so i never know if i have gotten some in me or not. I mean, its only in my stomach things happen but there'snt any symtoms, get what i'm sayin?

Archived