This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cosmetic Help

DOCKLEARFAN

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice

I have been trying to research "cosmetics" and I'm having a hard time. (A few companies emailed me back but to no avail) I just started a new job and I'm swamped for time. So if anyone knows gluten free items could you let me know? I feel like a idiot not taking the time to research but..

Anyway, I would love to know what Hairspray, Deodorant,acne creme, hand soap, and dish soap are gluten free.

(Currently, I just used whatever was available...but now I realize that these items can effect a person with Celiac.)

Thanks all

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elkrull Newbie
I have been trying to research "cosmetics" and I'm having a hard time. (A few companies emailed me back but to no avail) I just started a new job and I'm swamped for time. So if anyone knows gluten free items could you let me know? I feel like a idiot not taking the time to research but..

Anyway, I would love to know what Hairspray, Deodorant,acne creme, hand soap, and dish soap are gluten free.

(Currently, I just used whatever was available...but now I realize that these items can effect a person with Celiac.)

Thanks all

Hi - I just posted tonight, but I'm new and don't really know how to refer you to that post! So I'll just repeat myself.

My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease last summer and we've had a 100% gluten-free home, even though he's the only one diagnosed. After continued problems, I recently (this summer) decided to go totally confirmed gluten-free on beauty and personal care products just to be safe. Wouldn't want to choose a lipstick over my husband feeling awful all the time!!

I've felt the same frustration you've had - hard to get a straight answer, and what does truly safe "gluten free" really mean once you start asking a few questions? Found that some said some products were gluten-free, but they weren't in a gluten-free facility, didn't know about cross contamination risks. So, to cut it short - one customer service rep from Monave (a cosmetic company I found solely on the internet) told me I'd do best to stick to smaller companies because they'd have much more control and knowledge about the ingredients and "safety" of everything. Just type in "Monave" in google and the first thing that comes up is the cosmetics company. Also, "Afterglow" cosmetics is gluten-free - owner has celiac in the family I think. Type in "afterglow cosmetics" or else you'll get some movie and other things that aren't makeup!

There are others, but to start those are the ones I'm getting samples from this week. Good luck and let me know I can help you any more.

DOCKLEARFAN Apprentice
Hi - I just posted tonight, but I'm new and don't really know how to refer you to that post! So I'll just repeat myself.

My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease last summer and we've had a 100% gluten-free home, even though he's the only one diagnosed. After continued problems, I recently (this summer) decided to go totally confirmed gluten-free on beauty and personal care products just to be safe. Wouldn't want to choose a lipstick over my husband feeling awful all the time!!

I've felt the same frustration you've had - hard to get a straight answer, and what does truly safe "gluten free" really mean once you start asking a few questions? Found that some said some products were gluten-free, but they weren't in a gluten-free facility, didn't know about cross contamination risks. So, to cut it short - one customer service rep from Monave (a cosmetic company I found solely on the internet) told me I'd do best to stick to smaller companies because they'd have much more control and knowledge about the ingredients and "safety" of everything. Just type in "Monave" in google and the first thing that comes up is the cosmetics company. Also, "Afterglow" cosmetics is gluten-free - owner has celiac in the family I think. Type in "afterglow cosmetics" or else you'll get some movie and other things that aren't makeup!

There are others, but to start those are the ones I'm getting samples from this week. Good luck and let me know I can help you any more.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it...I think there must be some national companies that have gluten free products. I'm going to call Neutragena for their skin treatment today. But I will check out your companies as well !!

• 2 months later...
AbiJ Newbie

I love Afterglow! It's my favorite brand for color cosmetics. I think almost everything I own is Afterglow for makeup. They have a gluten free statement on their website. afterglowcosmetics.com/gluten_free_makeup

As a tip for finding gluten free cosmetics - in general, it seems that the smaller to midsize cosmetics companies are more sensitive to these kind of issues right now and more forthcoming with informatoin about them. Even more so if they are focused on natural/organic ingredients because they are just more sensitive in general to making sure they know the implications of their ingredients. While that's a sweeping statement it's a good idea to start there!

Abi :P

AbiJ Newbie

I forgot to mention - I'm not going to list the ingredients for cosmetics that contain gluten bc. it's in so many threads already but a really great way to see a bunch of cosmetic companies from shampoo to deo to makeup is the EWG's Skin Deep database.

No only can you see (usually but be careful about this) their complete ingredietn list. You can also see how safe a product is in general. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!

here it is: Open Original Shared Link

:) Abi

ginghamkim Apprentice

Hi!

I use Aussie products for hair styling products.

Burt's Bees for shampoo and conditioner.

Jason Naturals for body lotions and body wash (read the ingredients though...I use the Cocoa Butter and it's ok). THAI Crystal deodorant stone (health food stores carry these...better in long run).

Avalon Organics for facial moisturizer.

Kiss-my Face Olive Oil Soap for face.

Bare Minerals for foundation and blush (there is a thread about a less expensive Bare Minerals competitor on this forum).

Ecco Bella Lipstick, Burt's Bees chapstick (love this stuff), Loreal mascara, liner and eyeshadow.

There are so many cosmetics on the market that it is really overwhelming to find what you like, what is available and what you can afford, that isn't going to cause negative long term effects. Avoid parabens and all the nasty stuff that is listed on the cosmetic database.

I find most of these at the grocery store or Whole Foods or a local health food store.

Good luck!

Kim

Yenni Enthusiast

I use Gluten-Free Savonnerie products (shampoo, lotion, soaps, conditioner, lip balm, hand soap, massage oil, bar soaps, shave foam). Both my husband and I have used these products exclusively for a year and a half now and I adore them all.

They have great shipping and costumer service.

www.gfsoap.com

I actually do not use any make up any more. I was never big on it and now I just do not bother to be safe. So I have no help to give there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient
I use Gluten-Free Savonnerie products (shampoo, lotion, soaps, conditioner, lip balm, hand soap, massage oil, bar soaps, shave foam). Both my husband and I have used these products exclusively for a year and a half now and I adore them all.

They have great shipping and costumer service.

www.gfsoap.com

I actually do not use any make up any more. I was never big on it and now I just do not bother to be safe. So I have no help to give there.

Help, I need some assistance temporarily until I get back to USA this summer. I live in New Zealand but always stock up on US products when I come back summers because all cosmetics are so horribly expensive down here.

I have been slow deglutening my house because I was really sick from other causes when I went gluten free, but finally completed my pantry yesterday, and started looking at cosmetics, toiletries etc. today. I had really thought I wouldn't find much, but in hair conditioner and foundation found hydrolyzed wheat protein. If I look further I will probably find more. My main question is if anyone knows if Revlon lipsticks are safe? I have used them exclusively for years but of course there is no labelling. And an 800 telephone call is an international long distance call here. And what about Oil of Olay? These are my two major concerns right now. I will have to do the rest in June. But can't bear the thought of a $25 lipstick!

Neroli

Krysten Newbie

Thanks all

Does anyone know of a gluten-free mascara that I can get at the drugstore? I throw out mascara every 6 weeks, so don't want tospend a fortune.

Krysten Newbie

I had e-mailed Mary Kay about some products (eye shadow, gloss, blush) and their medical dept. called me. They're sending me a list of ingredients, but the woman said since they all have dye (color) in them, that's derived from grain. Same with alcohol and she couldn't give me an answer on the vitamin E source either cause they get thigns from different sources . So she said I should take the ingredient list to my dr. & see what they say. She said none of their stuff is completely gluten-free. The dye thing scared me. I definitely won't be using their stuff, but how many other products are said to be OK when they're not?

jerseyangel Proficient
Does anyone know of a gluten-free mascara that I can get at the drugstore? I throw out mascara every 6 weeks, so don't want tospend a fortune.

As of last summer when I called, Almay One-Coat Mascaras are gluten-free.

Holly Oyler Newbie

Here is a quick tip for lipstick. Use a gluten-free blush with a clear gluten-free lip gloss or treatment product. Apply a small amount of the blush powder to the back of your hand. Mix in the gloss and you have a great lip color to apply with a lip brush. You can also pre-mix and keep in a sealed jar or contact lense flip-top container. Another trick is to apply the powder blush directly to your lips with a lip brush and then put gloss over top of it.

For mascara try this; You will need Vaseline, a gluten-free matte eye shadow in a dark color (brown, black, navy or eggplant work the best) and an old mascara wand. Wash your the mascara wand really well or better still, put it through a dishwasher cycle. Add Vaseline to the back of your hand and lightly run the mascara wand through it, then through the eye shadow. Pick up a small amount of the Vaseline with your thumb and fore fingertips and gently rub into the wand. Apply like a regular mascara. Tip-Apply to the bottom lashes first, that way you will not get the color transfer from looking up to do the lower lashes.

You can also use a gluten-free matte eyeshadow (in the colors above) and brush side of a Brow-Groomer Brush (available in any drug store, a small brush on one side and a comb on the other). Dampen the brush with water and work brush into the eye shadow. Then apply to eye lashes.

Archived