This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anxiety?

LynnR

LynnR Explorer

I have what I will call a wierd symptom of celiac disease that I haven't seen or heard by anyone else with Celiac Disease. Some people might call it anxiety but my husband refers to it as Nervous Energy.

I am extremely tired all the time. I have no energy or motivation to do anything. But at the same time - when I am doing something, I am always thinking what I have to do next. I rush through many things b/c of the next task that needs to be done.

For example, I eat much too fast b/c I am thinking of everything that I want to get done afterwards such as cleaning or laundry. Maybe I behave this way b/c I know in the afternoons I am useless. I am so tired that I cannot do much except relax, watch TV, or be on the Internet.

Has anyone experienced symptoms similiar to mine?

;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Deby Apprentice

LOL!!! I do that all of the time. I don't know if it's celiac disease or ADHD. celiac disease has taken the H out of the mix though, I have to say.

Seriously though, I do suffer from anxiety. I am on Paxil and that has toned the anxiety down greatly. I was gluten-free for 3 years and didn't have any relief from anxiety symptoms while my other celiac disease symptoms resolved. So there didn't seem to be any connection for me.

However, my brother is HD and before going gluten-free, his wife was pretty fed up. She says he is totally different now that he is gluten-free. He takes an antidepressent also (still though he is gluten-free)

Maggie1956 Rookie

I also have been diagnosed with anxiety/depression and I'm on meds for it. Although, I can't say that I could discribe myself as rushing from one job to another!!! lol

I just don't have the energy at all. Not even when I first get out of bed in the morning, and like you, LynnR, I have to rest (have a sleep usually) every afternoon for a couple of hours. -_- Maggie

darlindeb25 Collaborator

maggie, deby, and lynn-----i had terrbile panic attacks before going gluten-free--at the time i went gluten-free i was taking 40mg of paxil daily and still having panic :unsure: --after being gluten-free for a few months i decided i was weaning myself off paxil--it was hard, no matter what they tell you, you do get addicted to it :( --you need it--withdrawal was unexplained tears cropping up at anytime--pacing, pacing, pacing--fidgeting--sleeplessness, but all well worth it :D -----believe me, there are days that i could use the paxil still <_< --yesterday was one of those days--i just get this overwhelming fear of ruining anothers day because i cant cope :( --i do everything i can to go on like any other day, i know i cant let the panic run away with me again ;) --these days only happen when i am going through very stressful times or if i have glutened myself in some way--the old tummy anxiety returns :(--the last few weeks have been rough because of probs with soy and stress--i just quit a very stressful job :( i couldnt work for dr jekell/mrs hyde any longer, she was bringing my panic back and no one can do that to me, not anymore :angry: believe me, if paxil helps you, stay with it, its a wonderful drug to have when it works for you, but i think going gluten-free gave me permission to get off of paxil--we are all different and have different needs at different times :) deb

Nadtorious Rookie

One of my biggest clues that I've had a reaction is that I'll get really anxious, out of it, and depressed all at once. Sometimes, if it's a bad enough reaction, I'll throw a temper tantrum and not really be realizing what I'm saying or doing. Kind of scary.

Nadia

McDougall Apprentice

Lynn you descibe exactly how I feel alot of the time. Clearly it is NOT abnormal for us celiac sufferers (well as clear as my foggy head can comprehend). It is a very unique and strange feeling that I am shocked to see someone acuarately describe.

McDougall Apprentice

I was with some friends and we were on vacation in a large van. We were all excited, alot of fun. I'm in the back of the van organizing it, but I'm all over the place. Putting clothes in this bag, cleaning that seat, telling a story, stopping and discovering our lost tickets in a corner, after 5 minutes I look up and my 2 friends are looking at me like I'm a madman, I am all over the place, trying to do 20 things at once. I felt really alone at that moment, I realized something was wrong with me at that moment have alot of simular. Can you relate? I feel like I can identify that feeling in myself right now and it is going away, slowly. 121 hours gluten-free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) you guys just reminded me of a time when my panic took over my mind--i had a meeting at school for one of my boys--he had learning disabilities and it was a meeting with a school social worker, 2 teachers, the principal, the remedial teacher and me--i was inpatiently waiting for them all to get settled and i felt as i had left my body and was floating around the room--i was doing everything i could to keep my panicked mind in that chair and here i was not hearing a thing and floating around the room---this was when i was taking xanax as needed--i never felt like this while on paxil---it was one of the weirdest feelings i ever had--deb
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Wow, that sounds familiar. There are two possibilities. Either i'm too tired to do anything and just go to bed. Or i'm really everywhere at the same time. Especially now, that christmas is comeing. Reading up, house cleaning, makeing or wraping x-mas presents, sports... The last thing i mostly do before i'm totally exhausted and tired is sitting in front of my computer and surfing in the internet. And then i desperated realize i (once again) didn't really do anything the whole day, but i'm too tired already in the afternoon to do anything but sleeping...

Stef

Maggie1956 Rookie

Yeah, that's all me too. :rolleyes: If I have more than one thing to do at a time, I just can't sort it out in my mind at all.

If I have to talk to anyone (worse if it's a group of people) I get really panicy. Saying more than 'helo, how are you?" is a real problem. Where do I go from there??

I slurr my speech when I'm tired or nervous. That is embarrassing.

Mostly, I take my husband with me to do anything. Thankfully, he's very understanding and helps me get through it. I can't remember what I get told in detail, so I ask people to write it down as well. ;)

I'm no good whatsoever in a crowd. I feel terrible. I just never get myself in that sort of situation without someone who knows my ways, and is there to 'bail me out' if need be.

It is sooooo good to be able to be upfront (honest) with you all, and know I'm not judged as stupid or a fruitcake. To be able to tell someone outside of my husband and very closest friends is unbelievable. My brothers and sister don't even know about these phobias. :ph34r:

Thanks for letting me share. Maggie

Archived