This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Dermatologist Is Not Sure What It Is, But I Think It's Dh

l-lyn01

l-lyn01 Rookie

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in April of '04. I have been gluten-free off and on since then. In December of '05, I develped a rash on my bottom and on my elbows. I had extreme itching, then the areas would scab over and heal, but this has been an ongoing thing since. In Febuary of '07 I started getting little itchy spots on my fingers and within a few days a small bump would appear, I would pop it and clear liquid would come out. The spots continue to itch until they are healed, which only takes a couple of days. Around the same time in Febuary, I started having sores on my arms, near my wrists. As far as I have noticed, no clear liquid comes out with these sores. It is mainly on my right arm. They can be as small as a q-tip head or as big as a dime. In May of '07, I started have rashes on my face mainly on the sides near my ears. Around the same time I started having "blister like bumps" on my eyes and along my brow bone. They itch like crazy, so when I cant stand it anymore, I pop those too and clear liquid comes out. I also, have constant itching all over my body, but mainly on my back, stomach, legs, neck and feet. My doctor is puzzled, because he did research and he doesnt think it is DH. I think it is though, but I am not sure. No one else in my family that is alive had celiac disease or DH, so I do not know what to do. I did read some topics with some of the people having similar problems, but it was mainly with the bumps on the fingers. Confused and itchy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

It sure sounds like DH to me. Especially since you are still eating gluten! You were diagnosed with celiac disease three years ago, you absolutely NEED to be 100% gluten-free! I bet when you finally are eliminating gluten for good, the rashes and itchiness will go away. Not magically over night, of course, it will take time. In fact, you can still get outbreaks for about two years after completely eliminating gluten, as the gliadin deposits under the skin that cause the rash take that long to clear.

Please stop eating gluten! You will likely develop worse things than DH if you don't. Like other autoimmune diseases or cancer.

You will likely need to eliminate dairy and soy for at least a while as well in order to get better.

l-lyn01 Rookie
It sure sounds like DH to me. Especially since you are still eating gluten! You were diagnosed with celiac disease three years ago, you absolutely NEED to be 100% gluten-free! I bet when you finally are eliminating gluten for good, the rashes and itchiness will go away. Not magically over night, of course, it will take time. In fact, you can still get outbreaks for about two years after completely eliminating gluten, as the gliadin deposits under the skin that cause the rash take that long to clear.

Please stop eating gluten! You will likely develop worse things than DH if you don't. Like other autoimmune diseases or cancer.

You will likely need to eliminate dairy and soy for at least a while as well in order to get better.

I know my eating gluten is not good and it will do alot of damage to my body. I just really never had any reactions, besides the ocassional "runs" and mild headaches. It never bothered me until now. So once again I am going gluten-free and no more turning back for me.

I have always been stubborn, just like my grandma. The doctors told her to quit smoking or she would die. My grandma told them she was going to die anyway, she continued smoking and died the following year.

It's not good being stubborn. Just because you have no symptoms of something, does not mean that you do not have it. Eventually everything catches up to you, in way or another.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I know my eating gluten is not good and it will do alot of damage to my body. I just really never had any reactions, besides the ocassional "runs" and mild headaches. It never bothered me until now. So once again I am going gluten-free and no more turning back for me.

I have always been stubborn, just like my grandma. The doctors told her to quit smoking or she would die. My grandma told them she was going to die anyway, she continued smoking and died the following year.

It's not good being stubborn. Just because you have no symptoms of something, does not mean that you do not have it. Eventually everything catches up to you, in way or another.

Your description sounds very much like my adult DH presentation. You really need to take that step and go forward with the diet strictly. Occasional runs, headaches and such are a reaction and although they are limited at this point a great deal of damage can still be done. Fortunately your body is giving you a wakeup call with DH and not with a lymphoma or adenoma. You now need to use that stubborn streak to protect rather than harm yourself.

Archived