2 replies to this topic

#1 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

Has anyone been able to collect any type of Disability Compensation because of having celiac disease?

I haven't been able to work because of this. It is very difficult having to live on only one paycheck. I was just wondering if we had any other recource. :)
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 04:17 PM

I guess it depends on where you live....

I know when I discussed this with my doctor when they found collagenous colitis, he said that the diagnosis of collagenous colitis, celiac disease,along with hypothyroidism and the two different medications to treat my depression, would qualify me for disability, but the diagnosis of celiac disease alone would not qualify me because supposedly once you are on a gluten-free diet, you are supposed to "magically" heal overnight...... yeah, right!

By the way, I am in Ontario (Canada). I don't know what country you are from, so your country might have different rules.....

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:14 AM

It's pretty hard if not impossible to get permanent disability for celiac alone because the diet returns most people to normal (although not overnight).

However, I was out of work for 10 weeks solely because of celiac, and after I used up my sick leave my short-term disability policy kicked in. This is a policy I already had through work, not a government program or something I tried to get after I got sick. I collected disability for about 8 weeks.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: