5 replies to this topic

#1 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

My son reports that sometimes his feet -- often just one of them -- feels numb, as if it is asleep; sometimes it's "tingly" like pins and needles. Is this a celiac disease symptom? Or shall I check on his many other meds? Thanks :)
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:31 PM

Hope you figure it out soon!

#3 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 02:46 AM

:( me too---my feet do that too as do my hands and i do think it does go along with celiacs--i dont know about in children--i guess it would depend on how old they are and how long the celiacs went undiagnosed--the tingling has gotten better, sometimes i go a long time without it happening in my feet---i was told it was carpel tunnel in my hands but i am thinking it may just be neuropathy, but you may want to check into it further--i also have raynaud's disease and the tingling goes along with that too----not so much help, but some ideas to run with ;) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#4 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:51 AM

Sorry, but yes, this is a sign of it. Gluten sensitivity with or without celiacs can cause nerve damage and one of the first signs of this is tingling and/or numbness in the extremeties. I have it in my hands, but it's mostly only now in my right hand and arm (woke me up three times last night :( ). It can even be painful, but generally, my hand my hurt, but my arm just exhibits a strange weakness (like, I can't keep my arm up when I brush my teeth.) I'm hoping being on a gluten-free diet will allow this damage to heal, but if it does, I'm certain it will take a long time. At least I can be pretty certain it won't be getting worse. My father's numbness/tingling went up both arms, pretty much stiffened his fingers so he could barely move them as well as going up to almost mid thigh.

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 07:41 AM

While it could be, I would still check with your doctor for other causes of nerve damage. Diabetes can go hand in hand with celiac, and it is a more common cause of peripheral nerve damamge.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 red345

red345

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:22 PM