This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Walmart

almostnrn

almostnrn Explorer

Ok, I have never been a big Walmart shopper, actually I hate the idea of going into one. But things are starting to change for me. If it wasn't enough to have their Great Value brand items clearly marked gluten free...I found Gluten Free Pantry brownie and muffin mix in my local store! I about fell over, especially when I realized they were less than $3.00 a piece!!! I thought my husband was going to do a little dance right there in the aisle as he shouted with pure delight, "What?! No more eight dollar brownies!!".

I have had a great shopping month..first Kroger and their new labeling and now this. The good thing about Celiac is that it really makes you appreciate the little things, lol!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

I love WalMart too! I never have to worry about their products because they are clearly labeled! I love the way they print GLUTEN FREE in such large letters! Hopefully other stores will get the picture. I buy everything I can from them. :)

Offthegrid Explorer

Yeah, Wal-Mart! Mine has gluten-free pasta, but not the good stuff. It's OK, though. I wish they would get the gluten-free Pantry's olive oil croutons.

Sugarmag Newbie

After seeing threads like this in the past....I finally went to my local Wal-Mart SuperCenter. Well, they didn't have one single gluten-free item!! I also checked their great value brand, like peanut butter, and did NOT see any gluten-free symbol! So then I went to just a Wal-Mart grocery store, that just has food...none there either! I've now been to 4 of em, and haven't found anything! Not in a special isle, or with the other regular mixes. <_< I guess Florida ones just suck!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
After seeing threads like this in the past....I finally went to my local Wal-Mart SuperCenter. Well, they didn't have one single gluten-free item!! I also checked their great value brand, like peanut butter, and did NOT see any gluten-free symbol! So then I went to just a Wal-Mart grocery store, that just has food...none there either! I've now been to 4 of em, and haven't found anything! Not in a special isle, or with the other regular mixes. <_< I guess Florida ones just suck!

Walmart states gluten free in writing

Wegmans has the gluten free symbol--little g with a circle around it

I have been going to Walmart for months now and I live in PA and Ihave gotten the gluten free statement on the great value brand. Maybe you have overlooked it.

Sugarmag Newbie
Walmart states gluten free in writing

Wegmans has the gluten free symbol--little g with a circle around it

I have been going to Walmart for months now and I live in PA and Ihave gotten the gluten free statement on the great value brand. Maybe you have overlooked it.

Well, I wish I did overlook it! I looked, my husband looked, and my mom went to another one. My mom even went and asked an employee, she thought they were supposed to have it on there as well. This was about 8-10 months ago. Maybe our area had old products that didn't have new labeling on them, I'm not sure. I just gave up on Wal-Mart after that....especially since our local health food store states gluten free on their brand, I just thought we'd try and save a few bucks at Wal-Mart.

Darn210 Enthusiast
Well, I wish I did overlook it! I looked, my husband looked, and my mom went to another one. My mom even went and asked an employee, she thought they were supposed to have it on there as well. This was about 8-10 months ago. Maybe our area had old products that didn't have new labeling on them, I'm not sure. I just gave up on Wal-Mart after that....especially since our local health food store states gluten free on their brand, I just thought we'd try and save a few bucks at Wal-Mart.

Where are you looking? It's not on the front of the package. It's at the bottome of the ingredient list but it is written in large print. (At least, that's where it is on the important items in my pantry . . . the au gratin potatos, chocolate chips, and gummy worms :P:lol::lol: )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ptkds Community Regular

Wal-Marts peanut butter is not gluten-free because it is processed in a plant that also processes wheat. (If you remember the peanut butter recall recently, the Peter Pan pb was recalled along w/ the wm brand because they are manufactured in the same plant, so be careful!) Go look on their canned fruit, sour cream, cream cheese, etc. It will state gluten-free on there. If it doesn't, I don't buy it. Also, if ppl don't buy the special gluten-free products, like from the gluten-free Pantry, they will stop selling them. My walmart carried the 2 GFP mixes for about a month, but they didnt' sell well, so they stopped selling them. Same with Van's gluten-free waffles.

Look on the label under the nutrition box, above the WM address. It is right there if it is gluten-free. They started the new labels in Aug. 2006.

ptkds

Sugarmag Newbie
Wal-Marts peanut butter is not gluten-free because it is processed in a plant that also processes wheat. (If you remember the peanut butter recall recently, the Peter Pan pb was recalled along w/ the wm brand because they are manufactured in the same plant, so be careful!) Go look on their canned fruit, sour cream, cream cheese, etc. It will state gluten-free on there. If it doesn't, I don't buy it. Also, if ppl don't buy the special gluten-free products, like from the gluten-free Pantry, they will stop selling them. My walmart carried the 2 GFP mixes for about a month, but they didnt' sell well, so they stopped selling them. Same with Van's gluten-free waffles.

Look on the label under the nutrition box, above the WM address. It is right there if it is gluten-free. They started the new labels in Aug. 2006.

ptkds

Hmm...maybe I was looking at only a few of the products I'd be able to eat from there..like the PB, which isn't gluten-free. That would make more sense! (I rarely eat anything processed since I'm gfsfcf) Also, makes sense that they get rid of it if there isn't a demand for the other gluten-free products. I'll have to check the canned fruit & veggies sometime then! (I like fresh....but I always stock up during hurricane season just in case!) Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Sugarmag Newbie
Where are you looking? It's not on the front of the package. It's at the bottome of the ingredient list but it is written in large print. (At least, that's where it is on the important items in my pantry . . . the au gratin potatos, chocolate chips, and gummy worms :P:lol::lol: )

Well, I think I was looking in the correct place on the back of the package...but I only checked a few items, since I can't have soy or casein either, and don't really eat anything processed or with high fructose corn syrup. I'll definitely check out a few other items next time! Thanks for your help!

I prefer fresh veggies and fruit too....Sadly, the growing season is coming to an end here so now it will either pay the price for not so good tasting fruit or eat canned.

Sugarmag Newbie
I prefer fresh veggies and fruit too....Sadly, the growing season is coming to an end here so now it will either pay the price for not so good tasting fruit or eat canned.

Oh, I hear ya! I was sooo mad when I realized Pink Lady apples went out of season!! Those are my absolute favorite!! I think I'll do a combo...some fresh, some canned. I love the Honeycrisp apples too...but at $4/lb....it's insane!! :blink:

plantime Contributor

I've been buying glutenfree foods from Wal Mart since shortly after I was diagnosed three years ago. I don't buy specialty foods there, just mainstream like canned vegetables and fruits.

FrostyFriday Rookie

Kraft Natural Peanut Butter is gluten free and delicious. It has the brown lid.

Open Original Shared Link

Yellow Rose Explorer
I love the Honeycrisp apples too...but at $4/lb....it's insane!! :blink:

Have you tried Fuji. They are smaller than honeycrisp but almost as good and much cheaper.

Yellow Rose

I have bought honey crisp apples at Wegmans for cheapier than that.

Archived