6 replies to this topic

#1 VAGuy

VAGuy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 07:38 PM

Hello - I have a question about cornmeal. I seem to be doing OK with rice and potatos, but cornbread seems to bother, which is bad cause I really like it.

Would cornmeal bother due to fiber, or could there be something else about corn that bothers people? I'm careful to only use cornmeal with no flour added, 2 brands. One of the reasons I ask is that a jar of Maggi brand seasoning on our shelf lists Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, would they just be saying gluten instead of protein?

I'm also doing a major reorganization of kitchen and shelves - look what I found hiding on my Mom's spice shelf, amongst other things!

Pumpkin Pie spice dated 10/81
Ginger from 91
Some Allspice - date unknown, but price is on a sticker with old style purple ink
The best - a truly ancient (and I mean it) small jar of McCormik sugar sprinkles
for cakes, and the sugar (green) is not stuck together.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

lol. your pumpkin pie spice is almost as old as I am. (unfortunately, not too long ago, I think I threw out some stuff (unused) that was about the same age... ;-) )

just for reference, technically speaking, "gluten" is the term for all proteins in grains. it's often used by the general population and celiacs and doctors to refer only to the protein sequences similar to those in wheat, barley, and rye (oatmeal being a big gaping uncertainty :-) ). that's why they used the term on the label - it is the scientifically correct term, but not how it's used in common daily "speak", as it were.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 09:04 AM

VAGuy,

Some people are also intolerant of corn, whether permanently or temporarily depends on the person, but you may want to eliminate it for a while and then try it again later. Unfortunately, like wheat and barley, corn can be found in a lot of different foods. I hope you figure out what is bothering you. I am thinking about removing potatos from my diet, which leaves me with only rice and corn. It I have to remove corn too then I am going to get sick of rice real fast! :o

Good luck and God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#4 VAGuy

VAGuy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for responses - it seems fiber is a real problem - had same lunch yesterday and today (tuna/mayo on potato chips, H2O) yesterday OK, except today I had 3 gluten-free cookies (MI-DEL) w/approx 3g/12% RDA fiber) and had problems a couple hours later, same @ dinner time/ probs later. Guess I'm just gonna have to be real careful for a while.

#5 VAGuy

VAGuy

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for responses - it seems fiber is a real problem - had same lunch yesterday and today (tuna/mayo on potato chips, H2O) yesterday OK, except today I had 3 gluten-free cookies (MI-DEL) w/approx 3g/12% RDA fiber) and had problems a couple hours later, same @ dinner time/ probs later. Guess I'm just gonna have to be real careful for a while.

#6 92939

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 01:25 PM

VaGuy, I don't know where you live but I live in NC and I can only use one cornmeal and it is Tenderbake white. Now it has to be the white and not yellow and it is selfrising and I have not ever had a problem . You may want to try it if the stores in your area carries it. Good luck. :rolleyes:
Jean

#7 Lagomom

Lagomom

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:45 PM

We have found the only cornmeal that does not affect our family is the meal we grind ourselves. Since Dent corn is difficult to find in bulk, here where we live, we buy popcorn in the 50lbs bags at Sam's Club. It takes three times through the grinder, but it makes a flavorful meal.

Libby.
AZ
Dx celiac disease 2002
Positive bloodwork/Positive endoscopy
Lupus SLE/OA/HH/Hypothyroidism
Muscular neuralgia
5 of 6 children Dx celiac disease 2002

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: