Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac Disease Vs. Celiac Sprue...trying To Get This Straight

6 posts in this topic

Just trying to understand. One of our patients yesterday said she got a really bad headache after eating a loaf of bread from an italian restaurant. the dr asked her if she had any food allergies. she said no, then her husband said "but she tested positive for a gluten sensitivity". and she said she was diagnosed w/ celiac sprue, but doesn't have celiac disease. i thought the two were kind of the same thing....? help me understand. my dh and i were trying to figure this out.

Ads by Google:

They are the exact same thing...from my understanding. Gluten enteropathy, Celiac Disease, Celiac Sprue...all the same thing.

Kassandra

My Dr Calls it sprue, another celiac sprue and yet another celiac. THey are one and the same. Somewhere along the line she must have gotten some misinformation!

I think that many doctors studied "sprue" in med school. Non-tropical Sprue, really kinda makes me laugh. Sound very exotic, doesn't it? :ph34r:

There are 2 forms of "sprue"

Tropical sprue responds to antibiotics and is bacterial induced / it is not autoimmune.

Non-tropical sprue / celiac sprue / celiac disease is an autoimmune disease.

The names that doctors prefer to use change over the years but the disease is the same.

Same as Diabetes.......

Juvenile diabetes = Type 1 diabetes = Insulin dependent diabetes mellitus= IDDM

different names over the years but the same disease.

Tropical sprue and non- tropical sprue are different disease with similar symptoms....just like

Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus are different diseases but similar symptoms of Polyuria/polydipsia

medical lingo is confusing

Sandy