9 replies to this topic

#1 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

Many of you have a casein allergy. I have been tested positive for gluten and now suspect casein as well. My question is thus: can you cheat much with a casein allergy? Specifically, what about milk and butter for baking? I can go with out cheese and milk etc...but I must admit baking will be more difficult. In other words if tested positive would this mean no more butter on the toast?

God bless

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:01 AM

It varies by the individual. If you don't have an anaphylactic allergy, then you might be able to "cheat" a bit, but it depends on your symptoms. This is definitely an area to have your doctor (preferrably an allergist) guide you in.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 kabowman

kabowman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

I agree-if it is a true allergy, an allergist could help with your decision.

As to baking, I make do with replacing melted butter with canola oil and solid butter with a solid palm oil (in place of Crisco since it has corn and I can't eat corn). I use gluten-free plain rice milk in place of all milk. I think you can use almond meal in place of dried milk in receipes - however, since I cannot have almonds, I just leave it out and have not really noticed enough of a difference. I make up the difference with rice flour.

My family has not seemed to noticed a difference in flavor and I only notice minor differences in baking times.

However, even just a little lactose/casein makes me sick...I know within an hour if I have eaten something wrong. I cannot cheat.

-Kate
-Kate
gluten-free since July 2004

Other Intolerances:
Strawberries and Banannas (2007)
Nitrates (April 2006)
Yeast (which includes all vinegar so no condiments) (Oct. 2004)
Peanuts (Nov. 2004)
Soy (Oct. 2004)
Almonds (Sept. 2004)
Corn (Sept. 2004)
Lactose/Casein (1999)

#4 christtheking

christtheking

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:34 PM

Thanks, and just to let you know, I have just recieved my york lab results that say no more dairy. I will know try to avoid. Thanks so much for your feedback! Regarding Canola oil, you may want to see what a general search engine brings up on the subject (top 7 results are negative, I stopped reading after that) Also Weil has an interesting article posted below. Take care.

http://search.yahoo....ggle=1&ei=UTF-8

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA3424/

#5 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 04:24 PM

Hi,

I am intolerant of casein and whey (I learned the hard way, by eating foods containing these, then suffering with asthma and the inability to breathe).

I am also intolerant of all grains, milk & dairy, egg whites, and yeast. I use Imperial margarine for baking, for using on baked potatoes, and for anything that needs butter. I am sensitive to so many foods, so I am really grateful to be able to eat Imperial Margarine. I also use olive oil, corn oil, and vegetable oils.

Good luck in your searching for what you can eat! Welda

#6 cherylk

cherylk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:33 AM

My four year old has the casein sensitivity and I am not sure what gives her this reaction, but she will tell me she cannot get her cough out. It is very dry and she will do this for days. Anybody ever had this?

#7 Eva12

Eva12

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:27 AM

:huh: Hi this is the first time I have posted on this site. My husband 31 and son 14 months both our celiacs. Can anyone tell me what exactly is a casein allergy? Both of them our on a gluten free diet but, my son is still having a reaction to something. He has exema on his face it only comes out when he has eaten something that has trigged it. He is also lactose sensitve. If anyone has any input I would really appreicate it.
Thanks
Christine

#8 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 08:45 AM

Hi Eva,
I think casein and whey are both milk derivatives, in other words, made from some part of the milk molecule. I know that Little Bo Peep sat down to eat her curds and whey. Let's home she wasn't a Celiac, but maybe she was and that's why she got fuzzy headed and lost her sheep. I went to the health food store looking for cheese and other products which didn't contain milk. I ended up with lots of products with casein and even whey, not realizing then that after eating them I would feel like I was going to die, since my bronchial tubes closed up and I couldn't breathe (that's how Celiac affects me most profoundly--in my breathing passages). Modified food starch gets me too. Welda

#9 aaascr

aaascr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:09 AM

I have used coconut oil as a replacement for butter.
aa
alicia
been gluten-free 4 yrs.
too many food allergies to list!

#10 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2004 - 11:13 AM

Hi Christtheking: I use Smart Balance on my gluten free toast. It is wonderful!! I can't taste the difference between that and butter ~ give it a try! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: