Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is There Gluten In Latex Paint? Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 GFinMN

GFinMN

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:25 AM

I have been remodeling my house and have painted some of the bedrooms off and on, and each time I paint a room I get DH as though I had been glutened. Does anyone know if there is some kind of wheat/gluten binder in latex paint?

I was told by Mayo Clinic that I have the Double DQ8 gene, so I am suseptible to even "airborne gluten" due to be extremely sensitive, but I didn't realize interior house paint was not safe.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Do they make gluten free latex paint?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

I have been remodeling my house and have painted some of the bedrooms off and on, and each time I paint a room I get DH as though I had been glutened. Does anyone know if there is some kind of wheat/gluten binder in latex paint?

I was told by Mayo Clinic that I have the Double DQ8 gene, so I am suseptible to even "airborne gluten" due to be extremely sensitive, but I didn't realize interior house paint was not safe.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Do they make gluten free latex paint?

Thank you!

I don't know about latex paint, but I have heard people talk here about drywall dust.
Can't verify this, but it has raised concerns.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:00 AM

I've never heard of gluten in paint. There is no gluten in drywall itself (it is gypsum and paper). However, drying agents for the joint compound can contain: "plaster of Paris, calcium carbonate, gypsum, crystallized silicon dioxide (quartz), Portland cement, perlite, lime, hydroxy ethyl ether of cellulose, polyvinyl alcohol, starch, wood fiber, potassium naphthalene sulfon, aluminum sulfate, sodium citrate, ammonium tartrate, hydrolyzed protein, monosodium phosphate, sodium naphthalene sulfonate, potassium sulfate and various trace materials, or mixtures thereof."http://www.freepaten...om/6238476.html (I happened to research this once before for someone who was remodeling and feeling glutened.)

If you aren't sanding down drywall before you paint, though, this isn't the problem.

You may be sensitive to another ingredient in the paint. Have you tried using a mask when you do the work?

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:16 PM

It could be used as a thickening agent. The NIH website has a list of nonfood gluten containing items. It is by no means a complete list but if you do a search with the name of the paint you might get your answer. If you google NIH and gluten you might even go right to the page.
Meanwhile get yourself some gloves, I use non powdered medical quality at about $6 a box of 50 at the drug store and use them when doing anything that gets 'stuff' on your hands. I find they are thick enough so I can take them off and just leave them like on top of the furniture polish can. Unless they get wet they work for multiple uses.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Could it be a latex allergy? If so, don't use latex gloves!
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: