6 replies to this topic

#1 AFH

AFH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

Hi! I posted a few questions here a month or so ago. I had my EGD and colonoscopy today.

Heres what I know... The paper they gave me said everything was normal. She did not say anything about hemorrhoids even though the reason my Internist wanted the test was because there was blood in my stool. I found that strange. Can Gluten intolerance cause blood in the stool.

She did say she took a biopsy to test for gluten intolerance and told my husband that it causes a lot of the same symptoms I have. I was so excited that I didn't even have to bring it up.

The paper they gave me said the biopsys were taken at the GE junction. I thought the gluten biopsy was taken in a different location am I wrong?

She also said that a lot of my pain can be because I am short waisted and the gas gets trapped easy. Anyone else have this problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nora_n

nora_n

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

Blood in stools is not really a typical celiac symptom, but I did have some slight blood on the toilet pape which resolved after going gluten-free. I have spoken with others with blood in stools that went away off gluten, though.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#3 Ann1231

Ann1231

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

do you have problems with dairy? I bleed when I drink milk. I also have a problem when I'm glutened because I get really constipated and then get hemorrhoids. I also am short-waisted...hmmm...wonder if that's why I get so much upper pain with gas and bloating? Never thought about it that way before. I get upper left pain and bloated feeling, like it's under my ribs.
hypothyroid
hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)
fibromyalgia
rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)
peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

#4 AFH

AFH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:41 AM

I also am short-waisted...hmmm...wonder if that's why I get so much upper pain with gas and bloating? Never thought about it that way before. I get upper left pain and bloated feeling, like it's under my ribs.

My heart sank when she told me that. It was like she was saying you'll always have that pain and theres nothing you can do about it.
Under my ribs on the left side is exactly where I hurt a good portion of the time. Apparently there is a sharp turn in your colon right there and our short waists scrunch it up even more.

#5 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:46 AM

Blood in the stool can be indicative of celiac disease. However, here is a list of 221 other cause of blood in the stool. I passed blood every time I went #2 in the 6 months before I was diagnosed (50+ times per day, if you can believe it). I had total villous atrophy, though and was pretty far gone.

The GE junction is the junction between the esophagus and the stomach. This is not generally where biopsies would be taken for celiac disease. Biopsies for celiac disease would be in the duodenum, which is the area of the intestines after the stomach. Is the GE junction the only place they took biopsies?

Hoping you will have some answers soon on what is causing your symptoms.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:59 AM

My cousin is celiac... dx'ed even.... and still cheats (found out by accident when my mom visited me... long story... short forum)

One thing is she IS cheating on her diet and I know she is bleeding like you mentioned above, what I was wondering about if after so much damage to your intestines could you actually start bleeding... in your intestines? NOT trying to worry anyone but just a thought I had after hearing about my cousin is all
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#7 Puffin

Puffin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:19 PM

Hi! I posted a few questions here a month or so ago. I had my EGD and colonoscopy today.

Heres what I know... The paper they gave me said everything was normal. She did not say anything about hemorrhoids even though the reason my Internist wanted the test was because there was blood in my stool. I found that strange. Can Gluten intolerance cause blood in the stool.

She did say she took a biopsy to test for gluten intolerance and told my husband that it causes a lot of the same symptoms I have. I was so excited that I didn't even have to bring it up.

The paper they gave me said the biopsys were taken at the GE junction. I thought the gluten biopsy was taken in a different location am I wrong?

She also said that a lot of my pain can be because I am short waisted and the gas gets trapped easy. Anyone else have this problem?

I have been for the most part gluten-free for 11 months and have been having weeks that I feel better than I have for 22 years, however I accidentally consumed some gluten two weeks ago and the abdominal pain I had was intense, so bad that if I sat at a chair or drove my car I would get a wave of pain that was debilitating. I don't know if anyone else has this happen but all I can tell you is what happens to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: