Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Blood In Stool

7 posts in this topic

Hi! I posted a few questions here a month or so ago. I had my EGD and colonoscopy today.

Heres what I know... The paper they gave me said everything was normal. She did not say anything about hemorrhoids even though the reason my Internist wanted the test was because there was blood in my stool. I found that strange. Can Gluten intolerance cause blood in the stool.

She did say she took a biopsy to test for gluten intolerance and told my husband that it causes a lot of the same symptoms I have. I was so excited that I didn't even have to bring it up.

The paper they gave me said the biopsys were taken at the GE junction. I thought the gluten biopsy was taken in a different location am I wrong?

She also said that a lot of my pain can be because I am short waisted and the gas gets trapped easy. Anyone else have this problem?

Ads by Google:

Blood in stools is not really a typical celiac symptom, but I did have some slight blood on the toilet pape which resolved after going gluten-free. I have spoken with others with blood in stools that went away off gluten, though.

do you have problems with dairy? I bleed when I drink milk. I also have a problem when I'm glutened because I get really constipated and then get hemorrhoids. I also am short-waisted...hmmm...wonder if that's why I get so much upper pain with gas and bloating? Never thought about it that way before. I get upper left pain and bloated feeling, like it's under my ribs.

I also am short-waisted...hmmm...wonder if that's why I get so much upper pain with gas and bloating? Never thought about it that way before. I get upper left pain and bloated feeling, like it's under my ribs.

My heart sank when she told me that. It was like she was saying you'll always have that pain and theres nothing you can do about it.

Under my ribs on the left side is exactly where I hurt a good portion of the time. Apparently there is a sharp turn in your colon right there and our short waists scrunch it up even more.

Blood in the stool can be indicative of celiac disease. However, here is a list of 221 other cause of blood in the stool. I passed blood every time I went #2 in the 6 months before I was diagnosed (50+ times per day, if you can believe it). I had total villous atrophy, though and was pretty far gone.

The GE junction is the junction between the esophagus and the stomach. This is not generally where biopsies would be taken for celiac disease. Biopsies for celiac disease would be in the duodenum, which is the area of the intestines after the stomach. Is the GE junction the only place they took biopsies?

Hoping you will have some answers soon on what is causing your symptoms.

My cousin is celiac... dx'ed even.... and still cheats (found out by accident when my mom visited me... long story... short forum)

One thing is she IS cheating on her diet and I know she is bleeding like you mentioned above, what I was wondering about if after so much damage to your intestines could you actually start bleeding... in your intestines? NOT trying to worry anyone but just a thought I had after hearing about my cousin is all

Hi! I posted a few questions here a month or so ago. I had my EGD and colonoscopy today.

Heres what I know... The paper they gave me said everything was normal. She did not say anything about hemorrhoids even though the reason my Internist wanted the test was because there was blood in my stool. I found that strange. Can Gluten intolerance cause blood in the stool.

She did say she took a biopsy to test for gluten intolerance and told my husband that it causes a lot of the same symptoms I have. I was so excited that I didn't even have to bring it up.

The paper they gave me said the biopsys were taken at the GE junction. I thought the gluten biopsy was taken in a different location am I wrong?

She also said that a lot of my pain can be because I am short waisted and the gas gets trapped easy. Anyone else have this problem?

I have been for the most part gluten-free for 11 months and have been having weeks that I feel better than I have for 22 years, however I accidentally consumed some gluten two weeks ago and the abdominal pain I had was intense, so bad that if I sat at a chair or drove my car I would get a wave of pain that was debilitating. I don't know if anyone else has this happen but all I can tell you is what happens to me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Task Force to Make Celiac Screening Recommendations
      The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force will make screening recommendations regarding celiac disease screening after taking public comments. View the full article
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      I hear you Gemini. It's nucking futz!
    • Test Results
      I went gluten free & never looked back! I have dh, the celiac rash. That makes it pretty darn easy to go gluten-free the moment you figure it out. I was not about to continue eating gluten for even one more day just so the medical establishment would be satisfied in my dx. There was not a moment of doubt in my mind that I had dh & therefore celiac. As it turns out, weirder than weirder than weird and the odds I can't even begin to imagine.... I have since, by sheer accident, had 2 docs officially dx me. Is that crazy or what??!! I did not go in asking for a dx nor even hoping for one. Frankly, I just plain didn't care what they thought. The medical community has failed me numerous times throughout my life so I don't have the highest regard for them. You are 54, I was 54 when I figured mine out. I have no kids so did not need to consider them in my decision not to go for an official dx. My parents had already passed away so that was not an issue. My brother had passed away so that was not an issue either. I did contact my nephew & tell him to let my sister know so she could get tested. So I have done my duty by her & she's an adult and a nurse & can make her own decisions. I do urge people to go for an official dx whenever possible, especially when they have kids or other 1st degree family members. If it's doable for them I think they should make a good effort at it. Also, there are certain people who express they don't think they can stick to the diet without the official dx. I think those people should pursue a dx with all their might. I have never had the slightest problem sticking religiously to gluten free eating. I have never doubted myself. I know you have tired HARD! Super, super HARD. I commend you for your dogged pursuit. I would not, could not blame you for giving it all up & just going gluten free this instant. That is a choice only you can make but I fully support whatever decision you make.
    • Gluten does WHAT to the brain?
      Your brother sounds like mine, Squirmy.  He was a Type 1 diabetic and had flaming celiac symptoms to boot but his docs always, always blamed his diabetes on everything.  He lived in the country and the docs in his state just were so far from being Celiac savvy.  I doubt they ever diagnosed one. His health was failing so badly that in the end, with the 3 MONTHS of non-stop diarrhea going on, he became so dehydrated that he had a heart attack and died last August 4th. His biggest mistake was trusting these idiots completely.  I think his brain was so messed up and confused that he just couldn't understand what I was trying to tell him.......that good ole brain fog.  He did what celiac's may do when left untreated for years and years.....they slowly fail and then die.  It still is extremely painful for me to think about because I was close to him.  I still see many people in my life that I think have it because of their extreme symptoms. Listening to them complain that the doctors aren't helping them. Try suing them for malpractice too......it would be too hard to prove. And then we have those who know there is something very wrong but won't give up wheat bread because that is unfathomable to them.  This disease can drive anyone crazy, for many different reasons. 
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Jmg  »  admin

Hello Admin!
      I don't know whether this is of interest to post on your articles feed:
      http://pratt.duke.edu/about/news/window-guts-brain
      Kind Regards,
      Matt
      · 2 replies
    • celiac sharon  »  cyclinglady

Hello cycling lady, have you noticed my picture is showing up as you?  Have no idea why but it's rather disconcerting to see my picture and your words 😉  Do you know how to fix it?  You seem to have far more experience with this board than I do
      · 1 reply
    • Larry Gessner  »  cyclinglady

Hi There, I don't know if there is a place for videos in the forum. I just watched "The Truth About Gluten" I think it is a good video. I would like to share it somewhere but don't know where it should go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Here is the link if you have never watched it.
      https://youtu.be/IU6jVEwpjnE Thank You,
      Larry
      · 2 replies
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Chris O