This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hemp Milk?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

Does anyone else drink Living Harvest hemp milk. I am trying to pinpoint a reaction, and i cant tell if it is this hemp milk. Is this a pretty safe product?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I drink it all the time. I'm pretty sure it's safe. You could (possibly?) have a sensitivity to hemp nuts though.

jnclelland Contributor
Does anyone else drink Living Harvest hemp milk. I am trying to pinpoint a reaction, and i cant tell if it is this hemp milk. Is this a pretty safe product?

I make lattes with it, and I haven't had any problems. It says gluten/dairy/soy free (and possibly other things, but those are the ones I worry about) on the box, and none of the ingredients seem suspect.

Jeanne

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I drink the chocolate and use the vanilla on a lot of stuff. I had the same question about the chocolate and called the company. It just tastes malty to me and with the recent changes in labeling laws I was afraid they were using the same mind set that other companies have done with dropping barley from a label because it 'tests' safe. I was assured by the company that it is soy, casien and gluten free. I stopped using it for a week or two and then added it back in and for me it isn't causing a problem. If you do think you are reacting to something in the milk you may want to try eliminating it and then adding it back in after a couple of weeks and looking for a reoccurance of the reaction. Just because it is GFCFSF doesn't mean there may not be something else in it that your body doesn't like.

hathor Contributor

I haven't noticed a problem. You might try some other product with hemp and see if you react.

Sugarmag Newbie

I've only had it a few times, but haven't reacted to it at all.

• 2 months later...
Magdalena Rose Newbie

I know some with celiac who drink it and never have had a problem. I called living harvest to ask about their manufacturing practices. They said that the protein power, seeds and oil are made in a gluten free facility... but that the hemp milk was tested for gluten and was below the requirement to be called gluten free. Personally this made me not want to drink the milk but eat everything else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Interesting. I eat eat their seeds, oil, protein powder, and milk. Of course, I've been a bit C lately...thought it was adding back eggs. I'm going to test it as well by eliminating it and then adding it back. Thanks.

Guhlia Rising Star

What does the hemp milk look like? I bought some and it looked more like ginger ale than milk... Is this right?

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

no. but you do have to shake it. the other day I poured a new box of it and it looked clear - and I realized I hadn't shaken it. Should look white or off white (winter white).

Guhlia Rising Star
no. but you do have to shake it. the other day I poured a new box of it and it looked clear - and I realized I hadn't shaken it. Should look white or off white (winter white).

Hmmm... I shook the crap out of it! I wonder if its bad. Does hemp milk taste like milk? This stuff didn't.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Hmmm... I shook the crap out of it! I wonder if its bad. Does hemp milk taste like milk? This stuff didn't.

I don't know if it tastes like milk, but it's a bit thick and creamy. Did you get Living Harvest? I tried another brand once called Hemp Bliss...it looked like what you are describing and was quite nasty. <_<

Guhlia Rising Star

Yes, its living harvest. I just went back and shook it until my teeth hurt. lol. I finally got some white milk-looking substance out. I'm afraid to try it though with as bad as the flavor last night was.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I drink Living Harvest every day without a problem and I'm painfully sensitive. It's the best dairy, soy and gluten-free milk-like substance I've tried. It makes great Lattes! I like the Open Original Shared Link.

• 2 years later...
valeriemates Newbie

My toddler and I have been having a gluten-reaction to Hemp Bliss brand of hemp milk. I'd been trying hard to track down what in his diet he was reacting to, and I posted on an online forum. A mom there said that she used a home gluten test kit for every brand and flavor of hempmilk that she could find, and they all tested positive for gluten. She said she talked to a company that manufactures it, and they told her that the farmers who grow hemp seeds also grow barley. So, based on her advice, I dropped hempmilk from my family's diet. And it turns out that it was the thing that my toddler and I were reacting to -- the difference is huge and dramatic, especially in my toddler.

The box says, "Gluten-Free" right on it, so I am very frustrated.

-Valerie

Archived