14 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:08 PM

Does anyone else drink Living Harvest hemp milk. I am trying to pinpoint a reaction, and i cant tell if it is this hemp milk. Is this a pretty safe product?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 04:14 PM

I drink it all the time. I'm pretty sure it's safe. You could (possibly?) have a sensitivity to hemp nuts though.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 jnclelland

jnclelland

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

Does anyone else drink Living Harvest hemp milk. I am trying to pinpoint a reaction, and i cant tell if it is this hemp milk. Is this a pretty safe product?

I make lattes with it, and I haven't had any problems. It says gluten/dairy/soy free (and possibly other things, but those are the ones I worry about) on the box, and none of the ingredients seem suspect.

Jeanne

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 04:19 AM

I drink the chocolate and use the vanilla on a lot of stuff. I had the same question about the chocolate and called the company. It just tastes malty to me and with the recent changes in labeling laws I was afraid they were using the same mind set that other companies have done with dropping barley from a label because it 'tests' safe. I was assured by the company that it is soy, casien and gluten free. I stopped using it for a week or two and then added it back in and for me it isn't causing a problem. If you do think you are reacting to something in the milk you may want to try eliminating it and then adding it back in after a couple of weeks and looking for a reoccurance of the reaction. Just because it is GFCFSF doesn't mean there may not be something else in it that your body doesn't like.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:12 AM

I haven't noticed a problem. You might try some other product with hemp and see if you react.
McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#6 Sugarmag

Sugarmag

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 02:19 PM

I've only had it a few times, but haven't reacted to it at all.
Katie

Gluten free since July 2005
Lactose Free since 1994
Soy free since May 2007
Dairy free since September 2007
Hypothyroid & Hashimoto

#7 Magdalena Rose

Magdalena Rose

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 09:03 PM

I know some with celiac who drink it and never have had a problem. I called living harvest to ask about their manufacturing practices. They said that the protein power, seeds and oil are made in a gluten free facility... but that the hemp milk was tested for gluten and was below the requirement to be called gluten free. Personally this made me not want to drink the milk but eat everything else.

#8 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

Interesting. I eat eat their seeds, oil, protein powder, and milk. Of course, I've been a bit C lately...thought it was adding back eggs. I'm going to test it as well by eliminating it and then adding it back. Thanks.

#9 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

What does the hemp milk look like? I bought some and it looked more like ginger ale than milk... Is this right?
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#10 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

no. but you do have to shake it. the other day I poured a new box of it and it looked clear - and I realized I hadn't shaken it. Should look white or off white (winter white).

#11 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:55 AM

no. but you do have to shake it. the other day I poured a new box of it and it looked clear - and I realized I hadn't shaken it. Should look white or off white (winter white).

Hmmm... I shook the crap out of it! I wonder if its bad. Does hemp milk taste like milk? This stuff didn't.
~Angie~

#12 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

Hmmm... I shook the crap out of it! I wonder if its bad. Does hemp milk taste like milk? This stuff didn't.

I don't know if it tastes like milk, but it's a bit thick and creamy. Did you get Living Harvest? I tried another brand once called Hemp Bliss...it looked like what you are describing and was quite nasty. <_<
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#13 Guhlia

Guhlia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Yes, its living harvest. I just went back and shook it until my teeth hurt. lol. I finally got some white milk-looking substance out. I'm afraid to try it though with as bad as the flavor last night was.
~Angie~

#14 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

I drink Living Harvest every day without a problem and I'm painfully sensitive. It's the best dairy, soy and gluten-free milk-like substance I've tried. It makes great Lattes! I like the original version.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#15 valeriemates

valeriemates

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

My toddler and I have been having a gluten-reaction to Hemp Bliss brand of hemp milk. I'd been trying hard to track down what in his diet he was reacting to, and I posted on an online forum. A mom there said that she used a home gluten test kit for every brand and flavor of hempmilk that she could find, and they all tested positive for gluten. She said she talked to a company that manufactures it, and they told her that the farmers who grow hemp seeds also grow barley. So, based on her advice, I dropped hempmilk from my family's diet. And it turns out that it was the thing that my toddler and I were reacting to -- the difference is huge and dramatic, especially in my toddler.

The box says, "Gluten-Free" right on it, so I am very frustrated.

-Valerie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: