#1 LynnR

LynnR

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:05 PM

Is canned sauerkraut gluten free?

The brand that I usually bought is Silver Floss.
~Lynn
Negative Biopsy 11/00
Blood Work 11/16/04 - Still Waiting for Results
gluten-free since 11/10/04

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 EllenpC

EllenpC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

I wonder also about canned sauerkraut. I used Safeway Canned sauerkraut and added caraway seeds when cooking it. I had it twice in the last week, and had diarrhea the next day after each.
Has anyone else had the same problem with canned sauerkraut?

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Silver Floss is made very near to where I live and is the brand I always buy. I have never had any issues with it. An added benifit is that is has probiotic properties that can be really helpful to those that do not tolerate dairy products.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

I haven't had sauerkraut in more years than I can remember. :P I can't eat cruciferous veggies, or I would have it again. I can't even remember the last time I had it, probably over 10 yrs ago!!
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#5 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Does cooked sauerkraut have probiotics? Or only raw sauerkraut? Raw sauerkraut is easy to make, so maybe you should just make your own to be totally safe. If you look it up on the Internet, it sounds easy. I have not yet tried it, but plan to very soon.

#6 Puddy

Puddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:53 PM

I, too, eat Silver Floss and have had no problems.
Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

#7 MyMississippi

MyMississippi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

The last time I had canned saurkraut was about 10 years ago and I had severe gut pain all night. It was terrible. I was afraid it was the saurkraut and haven't been brave enough to try it again. Don't remember what brand. :(
CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin
1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

#8 MollyBeth

MollyBeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

My grandfather used to make his own saurkraut and it was way better than anything you can get in a can! I did put some canned stuff in a crockpot with a small pork loin a couple weekends ago though and I did not have a problem... I believe it was the silver floss brand.
Gluten Free 10/11/08
Negative Blood test 08/08
Positive Biopsy 10/08
No family members diagnosed...but Symtoms seem to be the same.
Father- Diverticulitis
Paternal Grandmother Died from Colon Cancer when she was 38.

If you're going through hell, keep going.
-Winston Churchill

#9 EllenpC

EllenpC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:02 AM

My grandfather used to make his own saurkraut and it was way better than anything you can get in a can! I did put some canned stuff in a crockpot with a small pork loin a couple weekends ago though and I did not have a problem... I believe it was the silver floss brand.

Thanks for all the responses. I used to make wonderful sauerkraut with beer, pork, caraway and any brand of canned or jars of sauerkraut. Now that I am "gluten sensitive", that leaves out the beer. I am also finding that now when I eat any gluten containing foods, the reaction is far worse than before I went gluten free. I have been gluten free since the early spring. As a result, I am able to decrease my beta blocker medication (for atrial fibs and a pacemaker) due to no longer losing minerals through diarrhea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: