This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Much Weight Can I Lose?

Dadeaux

Dadeaux Newbie

Diagnosed in June by biopsy. I had lost close to 15 pounds prior to the diagnosis and have lost another 15 since. My normal weight is 185 (6 feet tall). The stomach is better, the excessive trips to the throne have stopped, but I can't seem to gain any weight back. Any suggestions on how to pack back on some pounds?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gottaBGfree Newbie

Lost another 15...what does your dr say about this!? I only seem to be able to gain about 1lb per week and am 2 weeks into my dx. as you said those "trips" have stopped, thank God! I am slowly learning to love gluten-free breads that I am baking, only the easy recipes. I really do think that is what is helping with those extra couple of pounds I have gained. I also believe that I am having trouble tolerating artificial sweetners, so any sodas that I have had are the real deal. Ditto on the sweet T (I'm a southern girl)! Good luck with your weight gain, but it seems if the trips have stopped you should at least be gaining a little weight? I would be asking my dr about that??

Diagnosed in June by biopsy. I had lost close to 15 pounds prior to the diagnosis and have lost another 15 since. My normal weight is 185 (6 feet tall). The stomach is better, the excessive trips to the throne have stopped, but I can't seem to gain any weight back. Any suggestions on how to pack back on some pounds?
num1habsfan Rising Star

Sometimes you can't gain weight...I have managed that only because of my body trying to adjust to synthroid, or when I used to overeat to gain weight, but I've slowly been shrinking again. And as I get glutened I lose over a pound a day (when I was glutened a few weeks ago from grain dust in air I was sick for 5 days and I lost a waist size!!!)

I am still in my normal weight range (120-155) but its a pain. What you lost before starting the diet was kinda minor compared to mine. I dropped 44 lbs in less than 2 months (20 in the first 16 days).

I know its probably not what you like hearing but it really is possible that you can't re-gain.

~ Lisa ~

loco-ladi Contributor

Way back in my teens when I was grossly underweight (and not by choice) I had a doctor tell me the "gain weight diet" was to eat an ice cream cone every day......

I have been gluten-free for just over 9 months and Gluten light for 2-3 years prior........ I can handle a small amount of dairy so when I notice my pants are "not quite right" I can eat some ice cream, it helps for me not to mention its yummy. NOT EVERYONE will be able to do this being that your diet is not that progressed I am not aware if you can do dairy at all its something that helps me but isn't for everyone.

I also suggest talking to your doctor, he/she may have better options

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

You might try getting more raw olive oil and coconut oil and eating a lot of avocados. I had trouble putting weight back on as well, it started coming back as I stopped being stressed over a number of things, including getting the diet right. Stress is my major weight gain inhibitor.

num1habsfan Rising Star

Oh and if talking to a doctor doing work find a dietician. I seen one a few times. unfortunately she wasn't able to help me figure out a plan that would help me because not only does gluten and lactose bother me, so does most vegetables. hopefully you would be more lucky.

~ Lisa ~

Dadeaux Newbie
Lost another 15...what does your dr say about this!? I only seem to be able to gain about 1lb per week and am 2 weeks into my dx. as you said those "trips" have stopped, thank God! I am slowly learning to love gluten-free breads that I am baking, only the easy recipes. I really do think that is what is helping with those extra couple of pounds I have gained. I also believe that I am having trouble tolerating artificial sweetners, so any sodas that I have had are the real deal. Ditto on the sweet T (I'm a southern girl)! Good luck with your weight gain, but it seems if the trips have stopped you should at least be gaining a little weight? I would be asking my dr about that??

Thanks for responding. My Doctor doesn't really worry about the weight loss since I'm feeling better. Maybe it's time to find a new doctor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JodiC Apprentice

Just to let you know... Until the intestines are healing you probably won't gain weight. I can tell you from personal experience that the weight will come back and then some. As the villi come back more and more nutrients will be absorbed along with carbs and fat. It can take up to 2 years for the intestines to fully heal depending on the amount of damage. Hope this helps!

Dadeaux Newbie
Just to let you know... Until the intestines are healing you probably won't gain weight. I can tell you from personal experience that the weight will come back and then some. As the villi come back more and more nutrients will be absorbed along with carbs and fat. It can take up to 2 years for the intestines to fully heal depending on the amount of damage. Hope this helps!

Thanks, it wasn't what I wanted to hear, but thanks. My doctor even said my case was mild, I'd hate to have a severe case. I was reading another post about anorexia, because my stomach truly does feel better when it is empty. Anyway, thanks!

Archived