Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Symptoms Of Celiac In Babies? Experiences?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 oscarsmom

oscarsmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hi I'm new and desperately looking for any possible explanations of my baby's diagnosis as failure-to-thrive.

He's 10 1/2 months old, and the size of a 4 month old. He literally appears to have stopped growing. He's never had diarrhea, but his BMs have always smelled bad and he has bad-smelling gas sometimes. He was exclusively breastfed until now, with table foods added around 7-8 months.

I don't think he has cystic fibrosis, he's never been sick or had any other symptoms, but he DOES spit up a lot. (reflux). He's on medication for the reflux but so far he still spits up.

We've had blood work - he looks pretty normal, nutritionally speaking. Slightly low on iron and things, but not starving.

He's very happy baby and met all of his milestones (sitting up, crawling, etc). He's just way tiny. We are being sent for an ultrasound of his head, abdomen, and a chest x-ray next week. I'm desperately trying to get him to switch to formula because I think my breastmilk supply has been dangerously low the last 2 months.

For those of you who had babies with celiac disease, could this be a possibility? And if so, what should I do? thanks in advance for any help. He only weighs 14 lbs right now - he is very short, underweight, and small head circumference. He basically took a nosedive and fell off the growth chart starting around 5-6 months.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

I don't know if this will help by my symptoms as a baby were diarrhea and my borther had projectile vomiting.

I hope your baby gets better.

#3 JennyC

JennyC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

My son also had diarrhea, but not everyone does. When he was a young infant he was actually constipated. He was also exclusively breastfed and had horrible smelling bowl movements and gas. As an infant he could clear a room! He also spit up a lot. So much so that he would go through multiple bibs/shirts a day. My son was a big baby but his growth slowed down by about 6-9 months and had about stopped when he was diagnosed at three. He also had terrible sleep habits.

The tests for celiac disease are not reliable until the child is at least 24 months old, so you may want to try the gluten free diet to see if it helps.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 oscarsmom

oscarsmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

thanks for the replies!

I've been thinking.....his sister had projectile vomiting as a baby too. But she outgrew it.

My son's gas could clear a room too - so weird for such a young infant! And as I was looking at his baby pictures this year, I realize that he looks like he started losing weight/not growing around the time I started letting him eat cheerios and crackers - all made from wheat!

The other weird symptom I want to ask about: I read that Celiac's have pale skin.... my baby's skin color changed. He used to be olive skinned. (I'm white but my husband is asian). After he stopped growing he became extremely pale-skinned. Has anyone else noticed this in their children?

I have this weird feeling that I might be dealing with Celiac's... I'm going gluten-free tomorrow, just to see what happens!

#5 Adelle

Adelle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

My husband projectile vomited as an infant. Breast milk, formula, everything. He was finally able to have goat milk. After the goat milk he grew normally but continued to have symptoms until I was DXed and we both went gluten-free. Within a few days he felt better and his symptoms dissapeared!!

I don't care what anyone says IMHO gluten goes thru breastmilk. I wish you luck!! Hope going gluten-free does the trick!!

#6 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

My son was very pale too. I think trying the gluten free diet is a good idea.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#7 MarsupialMama

MarsupialMama

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:47 AM

I know this is an older post, but I thought I would reply, in case others out there are looking and come across it. It is not always easy to find information on babies and celiac when they are very young.
The EXACT same thing happened with our baby - was almost 2 years old, but comparing with a one year old in size, weight, etc. I searched up "failure-to-thrive" and cystic fibrosis.....all the things that are normally diagnosed... but it just didn't match up. I always keep coming back to the gluten issue. Our daughter is very short, underweight, little emaciated looking thing. Started dropping on growth chart around 9 months and eventually fell off.
Blood work was okay, except low in B12 and iron (anemia), obviously from not being able to absorb anything.
But as you say, she was "just tiny"!
At almost 2 years she was around 16 pounds.
We started the gluten free diet and noticed improvement in her overall look in about 3 weeks- she started getting a thin layer of fat on her body - very slight, but you could tell SOME kind of improvement. After three weeks we had an "accident" which made it drop back off, which was very discouraging and started making me second guess myself (EVERY DAY!)
From everything I've researched, and the experiences we've had in switching her to gluten-free, this is really it.
She went from NO appetite (having to force feed her practically) to coming to me with a bowl several times a day wanting food. Started sleeping through the night for the first time. Attitude improved tremendously.
Meeting milestones mentally and everything else seemed fine other than the weight and malnourishment issue - meaning it didn't appear to be affecting her mental status. Everything else seemed "normal".
She didn't have the vomiting or diarreah that most experience - rather chronic constipation.

#8 B'sgirl

B'sgirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

I've posted this before, but here again is my complete symptoms list for my son:

• the father's sister has Celiac's Disease (undiscovered until she was 20 years old)
  • we read that a parent with an autoimmune disease is more likely to have a child with Celiac – the mother has Grave’s Disease (immune system attacks the thyroid gland and eys)
  • he was born 4 weeks early
  • he had chronic diaper rash/diarrhea for the first 3 ˝ months of life (while nursing)
  • his diaper rash/bowel problems went away when he quit nursing and started eating formula
  • his diaper rash/bowel problems returned after he started branching out on solid foods
  • he would periodically get bowel movements that looked as if he had been eating sand, and they give him a terrible rash. The only information we could find about it was on a Celiac internet forum where all the parents mentioned the same problem when their kids had reactions to gluten. We read that the “sand” was from intestinal damage.
  • our son only gained two pounds between 12 and 17 months. We read that people with celiac have trouble absorbing food properly.
  • our son would eat and eat as if he was starving to death all the time
  • he would have bowel movements 2-4 times a day and they were always soft or runny and the diapers were really full
  • he was really skinny but had a large belly for a long time. He looked like one of those starving Ethiopian kids. I read that Celiac’s Disease can cause that because the intestines swell up.
  • the worst incident of diaper rash/sandy diapers happened after eating whole-wheat pizza (the only real change in diet in the past few days)
  • the worst incident was also after he got a bad flue when his immune system was probably more active and could have had more of an effect on his intestines (I had a similar problem with Grave’s disease after having the flue).(We weren’t entirely sure it was the flue; he had diarrhea and stomach cramps for four days, and then he started throwing up and acting flue-like the last few days. We took him to a doctor just before he started throwing up).
  • his bowel movements solidified when we put him on a gluten-free diet (nearly immediately)
  • he got colds easily which makes me think his immune system was weakened from malnutrition
  • he has oftentimes had a hard time sleeping (my sister-in-law said that she had that trouble too, but I don’t know how it relates)
  • he spit up a long time after most kids quit spitting up (13 months, maybe?). He would still spit up occasionally after that.
  • he has thin hair but luscious eye lashes (as mentioned on a Celiac Forum)
  • he has weak/brittle toenails and fingernails, and the skin around them is flaky
  • he has sensitive skin (dry on ankles and back of legs)
  • he seems to have asthmatic tendencies and common pollen allergies (other autoimmune issues)
  • the mother ate bread with extra gluten while nursing

#9 nikabe

nikabe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

I've posted this before, but here again is my complete symptoms list for my son:

• the father's sister has Celiac's Disease (undiscovered until she was 20 years old)
  • we read that a parent with an autoimmune disease is more likely to have a child with Celiac – the mother has Grave’s Disease (immune system attacks the thyroid gland and eys)
  • he was born 4 weeks early
  • he had chronic diaper rash/diarrhea for the first 3 ˝ months of life (while nursing)
  • his diaper rash/bowel problems went away when he quit nursing and started eating formula
  • his diaper rash/bowel problems returned after he started branching out on solid foods
  • he would periodically get bowel movements that looked as if he had been eating sand, and they give him a terrible rash. The only information we could find about it was on a Celiac internet forum where all the parents mentioned the same problem when their kids had reactions to gluten. We read that the “sand” was from intestinal damage.
  • our son only gained two pounds between 12 and 17 months. We read that people with celiac have trouble absorbing food properly.
  • our son would eat and eat as if he was starving to death all the time
  • he would have bowel movements 2-4 times a day and they were always soft or runny and the diapers were really full
  • he was really skinny but had a large belly for a long time. He looked like one of those starving Ethiopian kids. I read that Celiac’s Disease can cause that because the intestines swell up.
  • the worst incident of diaper rash/sandy diapers happened after eating whole-wheat pizza (the only real change in diet in the past few days)
  • the worst incident was also after he got a bad flue when his immune system was probably more active and could have had more of an effect on his intestines (I had a similar problem with Grave’s disease after having the flue).(We weren’t entirely sure it was the flue; he had diarrhea and stomach cramps for four days, and then he started throwing up and acting flue-like the last few days. We took him to a doctor just before he started throwing up).
  • his bowel movements solidified when we put him on a gluten-free diet (nearly immediately)
  • he got colds easily which makes me think his immune system was weakened from malnutrition
  • he has oftentimes had a hard time sleeping (my sister-in-law said that she had that trouble too, but I don’t know how it relates)
  • he spit up a long time after most kids quit spitting up (13 months, maybe?). He would still spit up occasionally after that.
  • he has thin hair but luscious eye lashes (as mentioned on a Celiac Forum)
  • he has weak/brittle toenails and fingernails, and the skin around them is flaky
  • he has sensitive skin (dry on ankles and back of legs)
  • he seems to have asthmatic tendencies and common pollen allergies (other autoimmune issues)
  • the mother ate bread with extra gluten while nursing

Although this is an old post, I wanted to comment on something in case someone else comes along to read about it. There is a symptom here that is classic oxalate issue: That his bowel movements appeared that he had eaten sand. Sandy stools was the mystery symptom I had after I went gluten free that I couldn't figure out. Going low oxalate solved the problem. It wasn't quite as simple as just going "low oxalate" but if anyone comes across this post regarding sandy stools, research low oxalate and Susan Owens on the internet. You will be glad that you did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: