This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stuffing Disaster?

Emily Elizabeth

Emily Elizabeth Enthusiast

I noticed a lot of people had stuffing turn out like cardboard, as did I, so I thought I would post what I did to turn my disaster into a delicious success!

I took my stuffing and chopped it up into really tiny pieces and threw it in a slow cooker on high. I then cooked up some diced onion and celery in butter, added seasoning and mixed it in with the stuffing. Then I added enough chicken bouillon to moisten it to my liking and put the slow cooker on low and left it all day. It turned out very similar to the Stovetop stuffing I am used to!

Here's the detailed recipe:

Cardboard to Stovetop

6 cups leftover stuffing

1 large onion diced

2 celery stalks diced

1 stick of butter

1 tbsp parsley

2 tsp thyme

3 cups chicken stock (I used 3 tbsp of Herb Ox Chicken Bouillon and 3 cups of water)

salt to taste

Chop up your stuffing into small 1/4 inch pieces (a food processor may work too - I don't have one) and toss into a slow cooker on high.

Melt butter in skillet and add onions and celery. Cook about 10 minutes, add seasoning and cook a few more minutes. Add to slow cooker and mix in. Stir in chicken stock 1 cup at a time until moist to your liking. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.

Thanks to Juliem's recipe, I had one batch that turned out good yesterday. The second batch however, was so bad I didn't even put it on the table. Now I am excited to say that I was able to turn it into extremely delicious leftovers! It's SO good! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I quit making making stuffing. Two years ago, I made gluten free stuffing. Everyone thought it tasted fine except for my daughter. And she's the gluten free one. Gah!

What I used to do with the Stovetop kind was add a lot of celery, onion and sometimes carrot that had been cooked until soft. I also added some extra sage.

I never cooked a whole turkey. What I would do was get some rather thin slices of turkey (not paper thin), roll them up around a bit of stuffing, cover with gravy, then bake until heated through. This would work well with leftover turkey. If your turkey isn't thin enough to roll up, you could layer the turkey and stuffing and top with gravy.

JennyC Enthusiast
:lol::lol::lol::lol: Too late, I already gave it to my dog! I was afraid he would not eat it, but he did! :ph34r:

I love your idea about rolling up the stuffing in a thin slice of turkey. That sounds great! What a creative way to use leftovers! I have a lot of stuffing left so this will definitely be on the menu this week. Thanks!

What I would do was get some rather thin slices of turkey (not paper thin), roll them up around a bit of stuffing, cover with gravy, then bake until heated through. This would work well with leftover turkey. If your turkey isn't thin enough to roll up, you could layer the turkey and stuffing and top with gravy.

:lol: Yeah, I feel a certain sense of relief when my dog eats something that I made that turned out "questionable" too! Nothing is worse than the dog refusing to eat your cooking! :)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Too late, I already gave it to my dog! I was afraid he would not eat it, but he did! :ph34r:
JodiC Apprentice
I noticed a lot of people had stuffing turn out like cardboard, as did I, so I thought I would post what I did to turn my disaster into a delicious success!

I took my stuffing and chopped it up into really tiny pieces and threw it in a slow cooker on high. I then cooked up some diced onion and celery in butter, added seasoning and mixed it in with the stuffing. Then I added enough chicken bouillon to moisten it to my liking and put the slow cooker on low and left it all day. It turned out very similar to the Stovetop stuffing I am used to!

Here's the detailed recipe:

Cardboard to Stovetop

6 cups leftover stuffing

1 large onion diced

2 celery stalks diced

1 stick of butter

1 tbsp parsley

2 tsp thyme

3 cups chicken stock (I used 3 tbsp of Herb Ox Chicken Bouillon and 3 cups of water)

salt to taste

Chop up your stuffing into small 1/4 inch pieces (a food processor may work too - I don't have one) and toss into a slow cooker on high.

Melt butter in skillet and add onions and celery. Cook about 10 minutes, add seasoning and cook a few more minutes. Add to slow cooker and mix in. Stir in chicken stock 1 cup at a time until moist to your liking. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.

Thanks to Juliem's recipe, I had one batch that turned out good yesterday. The second batch however, was so bad I didn't even put it on the table. Now I am excited to say that I was able to turn it into extremely delicious leftovers! It's SO good! :)

What do you guys use for the stuffing. We tried it with tapioca bread, baked in oven etc etc. I thought it was horrible. Is there a premade bread to use for making stuffing? thanks!

I used Bette Hageman's Four Flour Yeast bread. It works really well. The edges bake a little crusty, but that works great for this purpose.

What do you guys use for the stuffing. We tried it with tapioca bread, baked in oven etc etc. I thought it was horrible. Is there a premade bread to use for making stuffing? thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JodiC Apprentice

Thanks!!! I will try that.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

We had gluten-free cornbread stuffing. It was ok. The taste was new to me and will take getting used to.

To the leftovers we added 2 eggs and 1/4 cup cream, stirred in well. Fried in some olive oil and yum yum. I liked it better this way!

Guhlia Rising Star

This year I made our stuffing in the crockpot. Last year my stuffing was very crunchy and then kind of gummy in the middle. This year it turned out amazing!!!

It sounds like the crockpot is the way to go with gluten free stuffing. I also think we probably don't need to toast the bread before hand? Maybe just dry it out for a few days. What do you do?

This year I made our stuffing in the crockpot. Last year my stuffing was very crunchy and then kind of gummy in the middle. This year it turned out amazing!!!
Guhlia Rising Star

I put mine in the toaster on the lowest setting over and over until it was just starting to get a little brown on it. Then, I cooled it on a paper towel to avoid moisture. My stuffing was probably the best I've ever had, I was impressed. I found the recipe online like 2 minutes before I started making it.

Don't you love it when you find something last minute and it turns out great! I'm going to go with your method the next time I make stuffing. I'll dry it out and then just toast it very slightly. Thanks for sharing!

I put mine in the toaster on the lowest setting over and over until it was just starting to get a little brown on it. Then, I cooled it on a paper towel to avoid moisture. My stuffing was probably the best I've ever had, I was impressed. I found the recipe online like 2 minutes before I started making it.
pinktroll Apprentice

I did half my stuffing in the turket and then baked the rest in a glass casserole dish. It was good but not quite as moist as I would have liked. How do you cook the stuffing in a crockpot? Do I just start with my regular recipe and add a little extra broth when it goes in the crockpot? I like the idea of having one less thing to bake. Also, how long do you put in in the crockpot?

Archived