This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Results Are In

crittermom

crittermom Enthusiast

Hi all

Well all of Michael's test results were negative. The doctor put him on an antibiotic called Flagil for a bacterial overgrowth in the gut (just in case) and put him back on Prevacid 15 mg for 2 months. Michael had pretty bad silent reflux and dairy and soy allergies as an infant until about 22 months, she wants to see if maybe the reflux is acting up again and making him uncomfortable, cranky, and it can also affect bm's. She is also having us go back to the allergist on Tuesday to have him rechecked for allergies. Right now he has only been on the prevacid for a few days, it takes 2 weeks to get to theraputic levels in the system. I haven't seen much change in him as of yet. She wants us to stay on gluten for another 2 months and have him retested and reevaluated to see if the symptoms persist through the prevacid.

Iguess we wait and hope the prevacid helps and if the tests are negative in 2 months and he is still like this we will make our decision where to go then. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayBraMom Apprentice

First off all congrats to the results, I guess the only bad thing aobut is that you have to start from scratch and still got no answer or solution! Well, either way with the resuklts, if in two month on the gluten with the meds there is no improvement you should maybestill try him for a longer while on glutenfree again, if he reacts positive to it then you got your answer. Bloodtests and what not are not the answer to everything, having a celiac in the familily just makes him naturally prone to be sensitive. There is such a thing as NCGS which is Non-Celiac-Gluten-Sensitivity, he could be one of them. If after all this he gets better again on glutenfree you have your answer and know what to do! Good luck!

Hi all

Well all of Michael's test results were negative. The doctor put him on an antibiotic called Flagil for a bacterial overgrowth in the gut (just in case) and put him back on Prevacid 15 mg for 2 months. Michael had pretty bad silent reflux and dairy and soy allergies as an infant until about 22 months, she wants to see if maybe the reflux is acting up again and making him uncomfortable, cranky, and it can also affect bm's. She is also having us go back to the allergist on Tuesday to have him rechecked for allergies. Right now he has only been on the prevacid for a few days, it takes 2 weeks to get to theraputic levels in the system. I haven't seen much change in him as of yet. She wants us to stay on gluten for another 2 months and have him retested and reevaluated to see if the symptoms persist through the prevacid.

Iguess we wait and hope the prevacid helps and if the tests are negative in 2 months and he is still like this we will make our decision where to go then. Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

shayesmom Rookie
Bloodtests and what not are not the answer to everything, having a celiac in the familily just makes him naturally prone to be sensitive. There is such a thing as NCGS which is Non-Celiac-Gluten-Sensitivity, he could be one of them. If after all this he gets better again on glutenfree you have your answer and know what to do! Good luck!

I have to agree with this one. My mother has had reflux/IBS for over a decade (going on 14 years now). She's been tested for celiac and allergies multiple times (both via blood and biopsy), has gone through all sorts of allergy treatments and has been prescribed each and every reflux med on the market. No great luck.

She's been toying with the gluten-free diet for two years now and it helps her immensely. However, she also seems to have problems with beans, dairy and tomatoes...which would require a bit more commitment on her part. I find it sad that she won't commit to the diet completely in light of the improvements she has experienced. But when asked, her response is, "I don't have celiac disease! All of my tests have been negative." Meanwhile, each and every time she overdoes it on her diet and begins to feel awful, she's right back to watching her gluten intake.

The point to this? ALWAYS trust your own instincts and observations. Never rely solely on test results. Test results can be a wonderful guide....but they are not infallible.

Archived