Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

St. Augustine, Florida

3 posts in this topic

I'm curious if there is anyone in the area or frequents St. Augustine. I'm road-tripping down there to visit over the New Year and wanted to know how easy it is to access gluten free foods in stores and restaurants I could safely eat at. I did a search for St. Augustine but the "St." part wouldn't go through and regular "Augustine" didn't turn anything up so hopefully this isn't a double post.

Ads by Google:
I'm curious if there is anyone in the area or frequents St. Augustine. I'm road-tripping down there to visit over the New Year and wanted to know how easy it is to access gluten free foods in stores and restaurants I could safely eat at. I did a search for St. Augustine but the "St." part wouldn't go through and regular "Augustine" didn't turn anything up so hopefully this isn't a double post.

I am a frequent traveler to St. Augustine. While I have only been on the gluten-free diet for 6 months, my most recent visit to St. Augustine was gluten-free.

With respect to stores, I discovered that Diane's Natural Foods Store located at 240 State Rd 312 (corner of Route 1) had a very good selection of gluten-free foods. In terms of restaurants, the Columbia Restaurant located in downtown St. Augustine at 98 St. George Street has a gluten-free menu posted on its website: http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/news_events.asp

Items such as Spanish black bean soup, chicken and yellow rice, roast pork, shrimp criollo, paellas, lamb ribs, shrimp ajillo (garlic), snapper, filet mignon, flan, etc. are just a few of the items the Columbia Restaurant lists as being gluten-free. (They also have a terrific sangria - which is naturally gluten-free!)

Le Pavilion Restaurant (European cuisine) is located down the street from the Castillo San Marco at 45 San Marco Avenue. Although the do not have a gluten-free menu, I found the wait staff to be very knowledgeable and they indicated that they frequently received gluten-free requests.

Good luck!

I have gone to Harry Seafood and to Columbia Restaurant. Panama Hattie