This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Acne! Desperate For Help!

aggiegal00

aggiegal00 Newbie

Hi Folks-

I am new to this particular celiac community and I could really use your help!

I was endoscopy/biopsy diagnosed with celiac disease over 5 years ago and have been gluten-free ever since then.

I always suffered from acne, which got much worse and turned into cystic acne when I was in college. I went through my first round of Accutance around 2001/2002 and had beautiful skin for several years. I noticed the acne starting to come back, and skipped off to my doctor for another round of Accutane this past year (I finished around April).

Within just a few months the acne was starting to come back, and I am getting increasingly frustrated. I have extremely sensitive skin and have to be very careful. I CAN and do use the Proactiv exfoliating cleanser, but I can't use the whole kit (it's too harsh). No gluten products, or wheat, mineral oil, etc etc. I even had to stop using Bare Minerals make-up because I was having a reaction to it (feel free to ask me about that adventure).

So here's the basics:

I am a 27 year old female, and not pregnant.

Been on prescribed BC for 10 years.

Gluten free diet , and getting more neurotic about it by the hour.

I also stay away from soy; I'm not sure that I am "allergic" to it, but it renders me a social outcast for at least 24-48 hours. ;)

I rarely eat out, I don't let people cook for me.

I live by myself, with my dog.

I only recently started having skin problems again. I know that I have become more gluten sensitive over time, but I could really use a break here!! I have changed my make-up (good change), my soap, lotion, shampoo, facial moisturizer, you name it. I try to buy all gluten free toiletries, but since I don't speak chemical-ese it's a little difficult.

The only thing that has not returned is the severe itching I used to have on my legs; it used to weird me out because it was nearly always symmetrical.The itchy scalp is back, along with some scalp acne (although not as bad as it has been in the past). Also lots of acne around my hairline. My chest is breaking out a little; my back is holding its own. I now have these acne-like rashes down the back of my neck and behind my ears, as well as these fairly pervasive acne rashes on my upper arms ONLY (nowhere else). My dermatologist told me it wasn't actually acne, but a new condition as a result of my newer, less oily skin; I just needed to exfoliate and moisturize and all would be well.

I went through hell and highwater to even get a GI doc who knew what was wrong with me, I am not holding out hope for a dermatologist who is on the up and up.

Please, please, please, tell me something! What am I missing? What haven't I thought of?

I'm sorry this post is so long-I think it's probably more of a rant. I am just very frustrated with this new curve ball my body is throwing me, just when I thought I had things figured out.

Thanks for listening to me whine, and thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Krista

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I don't think you have acne at all. It sounds very much like either dermatitis herpetiformis (DH for short), which is caused by celiac disease, or some other kind of eczema. The symmetrical rash on your legs is very telling, as DH is most often symmetrical.

Are you still consuming dairy products? They are known to cause eczema. One of my granddaughters was covered from head to toe in eczema when very small, and it cleared up completely when she was put on a dairy free (and soy free) diet.

So, I suggest you eliminate dairy from your diet, it may just allow those rashes to clear up.

mtraezme Newbie

Hi, sorry you have that going on!

I would agree with cutting out the dairy. It can cause all sorts of breakouts and reactions. You can probably add it back in after a few months, or test it after a bit and see if you react. Also, my dad had a horrible itchy rash over his entire body last year. He never goes to the doctor for anything, but he took a day off work to get this checked out. Turns out he really did just have super dry skin because of the change in the weather. The doctor told him to use a high quality skin lotion twice a day and to keep covered when in the cold. It worked and his rash cleared up in about a week.

Good luck.

hathor Contributor

I third the idea of cutting out dairy and seeing the result. If I have any dairy (back before I knew I was casein-intolerant) and if my 21 and 22 year old children have any, breakouts ensue.

Do you "stay away" from soy completely? The slightest bit gets my skin. The last time I had an unexplained breakout I checked with the manufacturer of a supplement I had just started a couple days earlier. Yep, it contained soy. They don't have to disclose this. So you may want to check out any medicines or supplements you take for hidden soy.

Could it be that you are reacting (or reacting also) to some personal care item? My daughter's skin is extremely sensitive. She had to try out a variety of hypoallergenic products just to find something she could use to wash with. She basically avoids anything else. I still remember the itchy rash she got when she tried out a scented bubblebath when she was little. A few minutes and she was literally screaming. She found she can handle spot treatments with Neutragena's acne cream. Any other product gives her red bumps all over. She doesn't even try makeup because that would be something left on her skin.

You may want to look into the laundry detergent you are using too. This is also something that can cause my daughter to break out.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I've recently discovered Emu Oil. It's amazing. You should look into it :) Also, are all of your products pure (for example, I use pure olive oil soap, fragrance-free all natural laundry detergent, jojoba oil as body lotion etc) Those things might not cure the problem but they could help limit the irritation.

aggiegal00 Newbie

Hi Peeps!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to see about eliminating some dairy and see what happens. I will be very sad if I have to stick with it though, I am a total cheese-monger!! Yum, cheese........

I am going to take another run through everything in my cabinets. I know I have gotten much more sensitive as time has passed, so I guess I shouldn't really be surprised about this new development. Sigh.

All the pictures I have seen of DH have been really scary, and I have never had anything that was that severe. I did have symmetrical itching on my legs, and I would scratch until I bled, but that's gone now (thank goodness!). Never any hive looking things, though. I'm hoping to stay away from a diagnosis of DH; I am 99.9% sure I have not accidentially glutened myself. I usually know pretty quick.

So, since personal products are obviously a new source of stress for me, would people mind sharing what they use? I am thinking about ordering some specific gluten-free products from the gluten-free Savionnei (sp? it came up on a google search). The problem I have experienced with "natural" products is that they are natural, as in natural wheat and soy ingredients.

Right now I use a plastic loofah and Dove body wash, along with Proactiv cleanser for my face. My derm told me to try Cetaphil cream, and that works pretty well for a body lotion. I don't have any problems with my legs, so I am not thinking that is the culprit. I am really leaning towards my shampoo and conditioner. (I scratch my scalp as I write this.) Any suggestions? I have tried Dove, Aussie, Pantene, and Garnier Fructis in the past several weeks/months, to no avail. Plus, this is getting a little expensive, and I have 20 bottles of half-used shampoo lying around!

Trying to stay HEALTHY should not be this difficult!!! Okay, I'm off my soapbox now. :)

Thanks for all your help!

Blessings,

Krista

NoSugarShell Explorer

I have had acne all my life and I still struggle with it at times but it has gotten so much better since I stopped the soy and dairy.

As far as products I use cetaphil face cleanser to clean my makeup off. I use witch hazel as a toner and coconut oil as a moisturizer on my face, legs, and arms. I try to stay away from non-natural products if I possibly can. But some things I haven't figured out. I use Dove shampoo and Bare Essentuals makeup.

I can say though that nothing works for me if I eat soy or dairy. Even just a little breaks me out...sigh....I hate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast
So, since personal products are obviously a new source of stress for me, would people mind sharing what they use? I am thinking about ordering some specific gluten-free products from the gluten-free Savionnei (sp? it came up on a google search). The problem I have experienced with "natural" products is that they are natural, as in natural wheat and soy ingredients.

I use:

Kiss My Face olive oil soap

raw apple cider vinegar (as toner)

pure emu oil (on my acne prone areas)

pure jojoba oil (as make-up remover, sometimes on my face and as a body lotion)

pure tea tree oil (to treat acne)

Neutrogena anti-aging/anti-acne lotion

Jason satin shower body wash (as shaving cream and shower gel)

currently trying to find a good soy-free shampoo and conditioner

Aubrey organics works really well on my face as well...but I do even better with pure simple stuff.

nmw Newbie

I agree with the comments about dairy and soy. My face only cleared up recently because I took dairy and soy out. When I tested ingestion of small amounts of each I broke out immediately.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Krista, eliminating SOME dairy is useless. It is either all or nothing in this case. I find it rather telling that you love cheese so much. It is very true that we are usually addicted to the things we are most allergic/intolerant to.

You need to eliminate every tiniest little bit of dairy for at least a few months to know if it makes a difference. Just eating less for a few days will tell you nothing at all.

Archived