6 replies to this topic

#1 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

I plan on taking my son to Culver's today and was wondering if anyone has had problems with their icecream. Their nutrition information won't specify if the ice cream is gluten-free because they have many flavors. Obviously, if the ice cream flavor of the day has "cheesecake" in the name it's assumed there's gluten in it. But I should be safe with the vanilla or chocolate, right?

Thanks!

Laura

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skyepie

skyepie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:19 AM

Culvers has a pamphlet on allergy information in the restaurant and it lists gluten in it. I recall the chocolate and vanilla custard to be gluten free. Ask for a clean scoop - they just put it in rinse water when they're done with it, if the flavor of the day is not gluten-free. (Or to just be safe in case it came in contact with a cone.)

I love their cashew chicken salad!
Tummy troubles began in early 2005.
Misdiagnosed with IBS in May 2006, meds didn't work.
June 2007 IgA results 137.8, MD said "normal" is <20. Gluten intolerant.
7/2/07 endoscopy indicated Celiac Sprue. Gluten free since that day.

#3 PattiD2

PattiD2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

Culver's has been very accommodating about gluten-free and allergy related requests. My daughter loves a chocolate shake but it has to be made with the chocolate culver's custard, not the chocolate syrup. We ask for a clean scoop and to have them clean the shake machine. Most often they will actually turn and show you as they are doing the cleaning. We usually ask for the manager, to make sure it is handled appropriately.

We did have one occasion, where they made it with the chocolate syrup. My daughter noticed that it was a different consistency, before she took a drink. We took it back in, where they apologized and quickly made her a safe, new shake.

Their pamphlet is very complete. Before we knew to check it, my daughter was getting the chocolate shake with raspberries. Interestingly, she most often got a stomach ache. I was reading the pamphlet one day and realized that most of their fruit toppings, including raspberries, have gluten in them. Now, we know so much more and try to check all of the ingredients, even if they sound gluten-free.

#4 punkin513

punkin513

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:36 AM

I plan on taking my son to Culver's today and was wondering if anyone has had problems with their icecream. Their nutrition information won't specify if the ice cream is gluten-free because they have many flavors. Obviously, if the ice cream flavor of the day has "cheesecake" in the name it's assumed there's gluten in it. But I should be safe with the vanilla or chocolate, right?

Thanks!

Laura

You know it's funny I did the same thing when I went to culvers I grabbed the nutrition information and couldn't find if the ice cream was ok. Let me start by telling you that it's custard not ice cream :) Then let me tell you how I found out if it is ok or not. When you look at cones/dishes of ice cream look for the plain vanilla dish you will see it has no gluten. :) I'm providing the link where I got my information enjoy

http://www.culvers.c.../allergens.aspx

#5 GFinminneapolis

GFinminneapolis

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Are any of the salads gluten free?
Diagnosed in April 2012

#6 heatherjane

heatherjane

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Keep in mind that this thread is really old, but you can check their website to see if their salads are gluten free. I think they have a pretty thorough allergen listing the last time I checked. You do need to be careful there, as with any fast food place, since the probability of cross-contamination could be high.

For what it's worth...I usually get the plain chocolate or vanilla custard in a dish and do fine.

#7 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

I eat their ice cream. Chocolate and vanilla are safe, as are the Flavor of the Days that don't have cookies or cake in them or something. I also do the mix-ins if they're candies I know are gluten-free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: