This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Tall Are You?

Joyous

Joyous Enthusiast

I'm a 5'0" female.

I actually like being short and never thought it might be a symptom of something. It was harder as a kid though. Guess which one I was? :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/cha...rony/Joy011.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

I'm 5'2" on a "tall" day! :D

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I'm 5'2" on a "tall" day! :D

I'm 5'7''. Sorry. My mom's short!

neesee Apprentice

Hi Joyous

I'm 4' 10 1/2 inches tall. I wear size 2 1/2 sneakers and casual shoes. I wear size 4B in heels. The dress shoes are difficult to find. When I get desperate, I drive to Bay City to Allans shoes. They can surround me with any kind of shoe I could possibly want in my size. I could lose my mind over so much to chose from. Last time I bought 3 pairs. LOL!

By the way, I think you are the second from the left. Is that right?

I suppose it's fun to be small, but it can be a pain too. It least I'm unique. Oh well, it's best to be happy with what we are.

neesee

hayley3 Contributor

I'm 5' 2 1/2". My Mom was 5 ft and my Grandma was 4'11".

NoSugarShell Explorer

I'm 5'0.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

5'11. I love being tall.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm 5'3" :)

Jestgar Rising Star

5'7"

Rosebud710 Apprentice

I'm an even 6'0!! B)

sickchick Community Regular

5'2" and a sneeze B)

fitgirlie Newbie
5'2" and a sneeze B)

I'm 4'10" and a size 1. It's great because I can share clothes with my 7 year old!

Nyxie63 Apprentice

I'm 5'8". Believe it or not, I'm the runt of the family. :lol:

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

Im 5'11 very tall for a girl. My husband is the same height.

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm 5'1"and so are mom and sis. It's genetic, but we all have celiac disease too, trigered as adults. It seems that short stature as a symptom would only occur in those who had active celiac disease as a child. When I live in Japan I realized there was a world full of people my size and felt gloriously average.

neesee Apprentice

I'm 4'10" and a size 1. It's great because I can share clothes with my 7 year old!

Be careful when you pick your child up at school. When my dd was 7, I went to the school to bring her home and a teacher hollered at me and tried to stick me in line for the bus :lol: The school only had grades 1-4.

neesee

Lisa Mentor

I'm 5'8" and soon on the decline. <_<

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

It figures, I'm tall for a woman (5'7'') well, I look taller because I have broad shoulders and I'm thin, but my boyfriend is 6'5''. Of course I couldn't date a normal guy, I have to fall in love with the Jolly Green Giant. It's ok, I just stand one stair up or on the bed to hug him proper! Doesn't really affect anything else... ;) ;) nudge nudge.....

HouseKat Apprentice
I'm a 5'0" female.

I actually like being short and never thought it might be a symptom of something. It was harder as a kid though. Guess which one I was? :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/cha...rony/Joy011.webp

I'm 5'5", but I think that if not for Celiac I would have been closer to my sister's height of 5'11". I was always one of the tallest girls in my class until my growth seemed to stall around age 11, about the same time I started having Celiac symptoms.

Kate

mtraezme Newbie

I'm 5'1" and shorter than every single one of my students!

Joyous Enthusiast

Wow, answers all over the board. I think the age of onset does matter (as well as the age of diagnosis since kids can experience catch up growth if they're put on a gluten free diet), but I think that some people who think they didn't get it until they were adults had it as a kid, it improved as they got older, and was then reactivated at some point in their adulthood. (At least that's what I read. *shrug*)

By the way, I think you are the second from the left. Is that right?

Yes. I was like a head shorter than any of my classmates. The girl to the left of me was the second shortest. I think they must have put her on the end so I didn't look as weird. :blink:

tallfran Apprentice

I'm another tall one. I stand 5' 11 1/2 inches. I really like being tall, but finding slacks that fit and shoes. God help us, SHOES :D . I wear a 12 on a good day, and my hiking boots and running shoes are 13's. And my foot is so narrow I can't just switch to men's shoes. Forget about dress shoes...

Fran

Sweetfudge Community Regular

lol my mother in law did this with her daughters and shoes, she wasn't as skinny as them - wasn't a "fitgirlie" :) but always thought it was funny that they shared shoes.

Yes. I was like a head shorter than any of my classmates. The girl to the left of me was the second shortest. I think they must have put her on the end so I didn't look as weird. :blink:

i think it made the picture look weirder :D not as balanced...

The One Apprentice

It seems you're either too tall or too short, I'm in the shorties, I once said at the ER that I was 5ft and the guy laughed at me, said i wasn't even 4"10 which is actually how tall I am so he was right :D I dont mind being short but there's times where I wish I had a few more inches on me, especially when buying dresses or pants, its hard to find size 1 or now 0 pants [now that i'm at my lowest weight of 80lbs]

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I swear I used to be taller, I remember being 5'7", but low and behold, they tell me I am 5'5". My friend Kev and I originally met online and he was afraid I was going to look him right in the eye because I actually thought I was 5'7-5'8 at the time and on the day we met, he laughed, as he was looking down at me and said, "Silly, you are only about 5'5!" I have always looked up to him, that was 5 yrs ago! :P

Short stature is only one symptom out of what seems like 100's for a celiac, not all celiac children are short. Sometimes height is determined by family heritage and my mother's family has some short people, the celiac is from my dad's side and there are really tall people there, so, go figure. I truly believe my youngest son has celiac disease and he is 6'3. My sister is a diagnosed celiac, we know she was vitamin deficient at 6 or 7 yrs old and she is 5'3, yet her legs are just as long as mine. Our mom used to be 5'4", she has had back surgery and has lost some height now at 71 yrs of age.

I remember when my sons all grew taller than me, I was so shocked. For some reason, in my mind, my babies would never get taller than me, I guess, just because they are my babies. I have 4 sons and 1 daughter. She is the same height as me and they are 6', 6'2, and two are 6'3. The boys love looking down at me and they love the fact that I get dizzy when I look up at them, it is a neuropathy quirk of mine, they all know they have to keep an arm around me when they stand close, yet they think it cute. My grandkids are tall too. So far anyways.

Archived