Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Soy Intolerance

15 posts in this topic

<_< I'm not happy about this--I have been trying to avoid going soy free too :rolleyes: --I know that soy bothers me in large amounts--I guess I dont notice it so much with my peanut butter, margarine, my corn cakes----but when I get more I have problems--I had tuna with mayo on it---well, the tuna is packed in water which is vegetable broth made from soy and the very 1st ingredient in mayo is soybean oil--I love mayo on any meat, instead of my old standby, ketchup :P --I have been restless at night, watching the clock, my joint pain is back and my tummy has been very touchy lately---burdee convinced me its time to go soy free and see what happens :unsure: i know she's right----does anyone have websites for me to check out--I need a food list of safe foods without soy--it is in so much :( thank you in advance ;) deb

Ads by Google:

Another reason to go natural foods. I've yet to see a "manufactuered food list" that's of soy free foods, unfortunately. I think it means just reading labels very closely. (BTW, you can get plain water pack tuna - meaning tuna and water, not broth - if you look around for it.)

There is a mayo made with canola oil vs soybean oil...at the health food store. Make your own broth - chicken & beef - I have yet to find one that doesn't make me sick and I attribute it to soy. WestSoy Plain Rice milk has no soy.

Soy is in almost as much as gluten...all those gluten-free mixes contain soy flour too...

Good luck and it really isn't as bad as it looks, just another adjustment and more reading. Time to go through the cabinets again.

-Kate

Smart Beat Mayo has no soy and only 10 calories! Trader Joe's Tuna has no broth or soy, just water and salt. Smart Bear margerine is fine too as is real butter. I try to avoid soy as best I can except for when a recipe needs soy sauce. Soy sauce, for some reason, doesn't bother me. Good luck~

;) i was told that i could possibly just limit my soy--that would be great--i know on a regular basis, peanut butter and corn cakes do not bother me and they do have soy in them------i do hate cleaning cupboards :P thank you everyone--deb

I can tolerate a little gluten-free soy sauce like to eat sushi or Chinese. If I drink soy milk it bothers me, but not my gut. It makes me goofy, itchy and causes constipation. Anyone else have this experience?

;) kvogt---constipation yes---not itchy and :P i am always goofy, that's just me--constipation is new to me, but otherwise soy makes me restless at night, i watch the clock all night and my joint pain comes back with a vengence---the only time i get itchy is when a product like shampoo with wheat gets on my skin and then i tend to get hives for a short time---we all react differently--now i cant drink soy milk, cant use mayo or eat tuna that isnt packed in water only and i cant use soy flour--shortening for baking is ok and lecithin doesnt seem to bother me--deb :)

Deb,

I went to Whole Foods yesterday and bought 2 mayos. They are made by Spectrum and have our favorite words "gluten free" on their labels. One is light and eggless and vegan :D and the other is full fat. They are both made with Canola Oil. I had egg salad on a corn cake for breakfast this morning with the light one, and it rocked. There is life after soy. Check it out and read the ingredients please and maybe it will work for you.

Terri

Soy makes me Itchy!!!! It makes my ears and neck itchy first and then spreads.

I've found that I can eat soy lechtin without any problems. It isn't hard, as people have mentioned, to find products without soy oil. Natural peanut butter doesn't have it.

;) hi melanie---peanut butter doesnt bother me--i use either jif or kroger brand peanut butter--my corn cakes have soy lecithin in them and those do not cause probs either--they tell me its the soy protein that causes the most problems and the proteins arent a problem with lecithin---i guess time will tell---deb

I haven't paid a lot of attention to soy oils. I heard a radio show about peanut allergies and the speaker said that the protein content of peanut oil is so low that most peanut allergic people can consume it with no reaction. I made the leap that soybean oils are similarly processed. I don't *think* it bothers me, but frankly, I feel bad so sporadically after eating, I'm never quite certain what my trouble is.

Does anyone have problems with products containing soybean oil as the only suspect ingredient?

mayo bothers me and it is made with soybean oil--its the 1st ingredient and the first 3 ingredients in anything are the biggest 3 ingreds of the products--if sugar comes first, then that prodcut is full of sugar--i also can not tolerate soy flour, but lecithin is ok for me--i dont understand this yet :rolleyes: deb

I noticed that soy bothered me just a little at first, then smaller quantities began to bother me... Now, I can't eat any amount of soy unless I want discomfort! :blink:

I don't mind giving up the tofu, but even lecithin in chocolate bothers me now!! :angry:

Keep an eye on your soy reactions!

Connie

SF for a few years now.

I am allergic (tested positive) to soy - if I ingest any, my asthma kicks in.

The only thing to do is read labels. I do know that some manufacturers have

lists of their products specifying gluten-free or soy free etc. Annies Naturals, Hain, Michaels Seasons, Seeds of Change, come to mind. I haven't checked any mainstream products because I am usually allergic to something in them, so I don't eat them.

Hope this helps...

Alicia

" I made the leap that soybean oils are similarly processed. I don't *think* it bothers me, but frankly, I feel bad so sporadically after eating, I'm never quite certain what my trouble is.

"

There is a website Westonaprice.org that tells how soy is processed :wacko:. The site also gives other excellent nutrition information. I have learned alot from that site.

There is a mayo in Whole Foods that is in the gourmet section from France that is soyfree and my finace says it is delicious. It is in a plastic container.