9 replies to this topic

#1 mak07

mak07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

HI every1 can sum 1 tell me if the walkers ready salted packet of crisps are gluten free as the ingredients says potatoes,sunflower oil ,salt,it also says on the back that they are suitable for coelics as i am only gluten free and dairy free person would they be ok.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:45 AM

If those are the only ingredients then yes, the chips (crisps lol) are gluten and dairy-free. :)
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 mak07

mak07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:48 AM

yes but when they cook them does any1 know if they get cross contaminated with anything else?say for instants different flavoured crisps

#4 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:08 AM

yes but when they cook them does any1 know if they get cross contaminated with anything else?say for instants different flavoured crisps

Does the company process flavors that are not gluten-free (first see if you can find that out - maybe on the company website)? If they do, your best bet is to call the company. Ask them if they process the flavor you want on dedicated gluten-free lines. If not, ask them about their policies regarding cleaning shared equipment in between batches.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#5 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

Does the company process flavors that are not gluten-free (first see if you can find that out - maybe on the company website)? If they do, your best bet is to call the company. Ask them if they process the flavor you want on dedicated gluten-free lines. If not, ask them about their policies regarding cleaning shared equipment in between batches.

Walkers are quite good...
A while ago they had a CC problem with the 'old' cheese and onion line (at that time non gluten-free) contaminating the salt and vinegar and they came clean so I tend to trust more than most.

However, I really can't be bothered saying more when the poster cannot even be bothered to type 'someone'.
I find this extremely offensive, someone whom expects me to answer a question they cannot be bothered to formulate so i guess it will be the last post of mak07 I bother to answer until they learn English.
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#6 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

Walkers plain are ok - but I'm not so confident on other flavours (they may say 'suitable for coeliacs' but they often contain flavourings derived from Wheat - -codex levels <_< )

However, I really can't be bothered saying more when the poster cannot even be bothered to type 'someone'.
I find this extremely offensive, someone whom expects me to answer a question they cannot be bothered to formulate so i guess it will be the last post of mak07 I bother to answer until they learn English.

Steve, mak07 is probably young and familiar with using 'text' speak ;)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#7 mak07

mak07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

so i presume that they would be ok as they say on back of packet suitable for coelics?

#8 gfp

gfp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:37 AM

Funny thing...
I worked onsite for a week and the only food I could find was crisps and the new walkers corn tortilla things.
I got accused (in a light hearted way) of being sponsored by Walkers.

Nikki ... I agree on the codex stuff.. however I do think walkers make more effort than most. In a bizarre chance I was in England the weekend they made the error and actually got one of the suspect packets before I found out and reacted accordingly.

I might be getting some low grade gluten from the S&V and corn tortillas, its hard to say because I got so essed up a week or so ago and I'm still paying the price of risking going to an Italian resto with my Italian class .. (I'm learning Italian now I'm stuck in London)
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

#9 mak07

mak07

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

what the hell is that meant to mean gfp i wanted to no if the ready salted packet of crisos wud be free of gluten tho it says suitable for coelics on back of packet?

#10 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

what the hell is that meant to mean gfp i wanted to no if the ready salted packet of crisos wud be free of gluten tho it says suitable for coelics on back of packet?

Comments that lack proper punctuation and spelling and use lots of abbreviations are difficult to read. I tend to not answer questions if they are written in "text-speak" because it takes so much extra concentration and time for me to read and understand the question. Maybe I'm just old and brain fogged, but a well-formulated post indicates that the poster put a certain amount of effort into the post which means I am willing to put effort into replying to it.

Anyway, I have eaten Walkers plain crisps with no problem, but I have no idea if they are manufactured on shared equipment.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: