25 replies to this topic

#1 ~alex~

~alex~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

So . . . weird question. Has anyone ever eloped or had a really small wedding? My fiance and I were planning on getting married back in June but it was postponed due to me becoming sick with Celiac. I've been engaged for almost 2 years and I REALLY want to be married.

My fiance and I have been contemplating having a really small wedding with just parents, siblings and grandparents and sometimes I just want to go down to the courthouse and get married. Do you think I would regret having a tiny, simple wedding. I have never really dreamed of a big wedding and sometimes I think it would just be easier to have a small, simple affair.

I don`t think I would regret this but I don`t know. My fiance has two older sisters who had big, fancy weddings so I don`t think there would be any disappointment on that side of the family. And my dad and brother are game for anything.

Does anyone have any thoughts. I think I need an impartial point of view. Everyone in my life is very agreeable and will usually happily go along with what I want so it is sometimes hard to get an impartial opinion from them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

I want a very small simple wedding myself, so maybe my input isn't impartial :lol:

I have always thought I was a strange girl because everyone else I know had/wants a huge wedding with all the bells and whistles.

I personally think you should do what feels right for you and your fiance, follow your heart, whatever that may be.

#3 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

I think a small, intimate wedding with close family and maybe close friends would be very appropriate and wonderful for you after the tough year you've had. I'd make it more special than a courthouse .... but nothing wrong with small and intimate.

After the things you've been through this year, it seems like a good way to bring in the new year.

Didn't you mention being Catholic? Many Catholic Churches have small chapels you can use rather than their large Church. :)
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#4 LisaJ

LisaJ

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:00 PM

My husband and I got married in St Lucia (see my avatar pic). Our parents and siblings came with. It was fabulous! So instead of spending thousands of dollars on a wedding and then going on a honeymoon, we just picked where we would've liked to go for our honeymoon and just got married there. And everyone got a nice vacation out of it. I watched so many of my friends have large weddings, and getting so stressed out - I just couldn't do it! I've never regretted not having a big wedding. We had the ceremony videotaped and we had a informal reception a few weeks after we got back, so we could still have a get-together with our family and friends.

Good luck with your decision :)
Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

#5 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

I wanted a small wedding nothing big....it was his family that wanted the wedding since they have a large relative-side family, if you know what I mean. In the end we ended up having a wedding of about 100, mainly family. Nothing elaborate at all. I enjoyed it. I can't wait to get the video. My head was swirling that day and I don't really remember everything. Good Luck on whatever you choose. Either way it will be special, you will be starting your new life with the one person you love. :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 AFH

AFH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

My husband and I had a very small wedding. Just the two of us in a little chapel. If I did it now I would have our parents there, but it was not right for the circumstances at that time. The only thing I regret is having no pictures of my wedding day.

The marriage is more important than the wedding in my opinion. Not to mention a lot of couples start of their married life in huge debt. But if you have any inkling that you might regret a small wedding I would wait. You only get one wedding day you have to make sure it's the day you want.

Oh and make sure you get pictures!

#7 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:42 PM

My husband and I got married on Anguilla. We invited everyone - of course knowing that not many would come. We had a total of 14 family members and friends come to the wedding. It was even in the Catholic church there. (We went through all the precana requirements in my home parish). We had lots of friends having big weddings with all the nightmares that go with it and had no desire to have the same. We contacted a place on the island that made all of our arrangements and went with the attitude that the only thing that mattered was that we came back married and did not sweat any of the details. I couldn't have been happier. My mom was pretty happy with it, too, as she would never have gotten my dad to take her to the Caribbean.

About a month after we got back, we threw a big barbque to celebrate with all our friends - very casual and also a blast!
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#8 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 09:10 PM

My parents (dad and stepmom) had a small wedding of about 30 people at a little cottage place in New Zealand because that is where my stepmom is from. It was really nice and since the currency exchange was great for us, it was really at a beautiful location. It was really humble and sweet. Everyone loved it. I was 7 and am now 17 and I want a big wedding, but always have. Then when they got back to the US, all of my dad's family had a HUGE reception for everyone who couldn't afford to be at the wedding.

They are really happy they did it the was they did, and it was a lot of fun! The reception was black tie so my dad wore his tux, my stepmom wore her dress, etc. It was a lot of fun!

Do whatever you feel is right. I really think it sounds like you want a small wedding.

Kassandra :)
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#9 ~alex~

~alex~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for the input. I really think I do want a small wedding and not just because I want to get it over with and be married finally. I never really thought about what my wedding would be like until recently but when I picture it, it is a peaceful, intimate affair. Not sure what we'll do for a reception but something small and simple with lots of really good food. A good thing about a small wedding is that we we'll have a lot of money to spend on the food.

Another question . . . Do you think it would be weird to have both my dad and grandpa walk me down the aisle? I know a lot of people have both their mom and dad walk them down the aisle these days and my grandpa is my only relative from my mom's side. I would really like to have both of them with me but I think it might look weird.

#10 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

Well, I am going to try to make this short.....

Hubby #1 had a small affair (only cost a few thousand $$$) on his parents front lawn all the dressy stuff and everything..... fast forward 15 years.. its the big "D"

Hubby #2 was very ill at the time and I was looking at either getting fired when I had to take him to National Jewish for 2 weeks or getting married so I could get FMLA leave at work.......

got home from work at 11am, dragged him to the courthouse filled out paperwork, paid fee, dragged him down to the court room, hijacked 2 complete strangers for my witness's got married by some chick who swore it would be legal and binding while wearing a t-shirt blue jeans and my steeltoed work boots.... hubby was in his pajama's... obviously we have no photos :o left there at 11:45 and spent $20

Fast forward 2 years....... never been happier and just had our delayed reception and can honestly say...

It doesn't matter what the ceremony is like it... matters what the COUPLE is like
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#11 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

It doesn't matter what the ceremony is like it... matters what the COUPLE is like

:D Well Said!
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#12 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:16 AM

Its your day you get whatever you want

nuff said

grampa and dad walk you down the aisle of your choice, lol

p.s. heres a congrats for you to use later as I wont be there to tell you in person ;) and a rose too @~

p.p.s. forgot to mention that while we were filling out the paperwork a woman in the office there to get her car registered gave me a flower from her blouse to have for my boquet(sp)
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#13 ~alex~

~alex~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

Its your day you get whatever you want

nuff said

grampa and dad walk you down the aisle of your choice, lol

Thank you -- I think this needs to be my motto for the whole wedding experience. As long as my fiance and I are happy that should be good enough, right? And I think our immediate family will be okay with it as well. We are lucky to have such supportive families!

#14 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:43 AM

Another question . . . Do you think it would be weird to have both my dad and grandpa walk me down the aisle? I know a lot of people have both their mom and dad walk them down the aisle these days and my grandpa is my only relative from my mom's side. I would really like to have both of them with me but I think it might look weird.

You can do whatever you want on your special day. :)

Another option would be to have your dad walk you down the aisle, stop and give your grandfather a smooch before you walk up to the altar. That also picks him out as being someone extra special.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#15 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:14 PM

Alex--I think that is very thoughtful to have both of them walk you down the aisle. In the end it is entirely up to you but I think it is a wonderful idea.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: