This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk And Gluten

JennyC

JennyC Enthusiast

I know that proteins are normally broken down by digestive enzymes then absorbed into the blood stream to be utilized for our own protein synthesis, but gluten proteins are proline and glutamine rich and have a hard time being digested. Therefore, 50 amino acid peptides are commonly absorbed into the body and can make their way into the milk supply, supposedly in small concentrations. I know for a fact that when I was breastfeeding my son my milk was making him sick. As a baby he spit up constantly and had numerous watery STINKY bowl movements each day. I also know that he does not have any common food allergies. Now I am putting him back on cow milk and I am a little concerned about him getting gluten through the milk. I understand that it would be a tiny amount, but my son seems to be quite sensitive to gluten.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share about gluten in milk? Does anyone know of any brand of milk that the cows are not fed gluten (I know it's a stretch)? I found an organic milk that states that their cows graze on organic pastures but I'm not sure what that means. :huh:

Thank you so much for any replies. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I wonder if the gluten milk cows are getting is from winter hay. Or if it is from some junk they are being given. Otherwise, they should just eat pasture grass. Organic milk is a good investment, anyone, I've read one of the more important things to get organically made. Raw milk, if it's available in your area, is good too.

It is beef cows that one should worry about with gluten, if anything. They are fed all sorts of crap, though mostly corn in this country.

Anyway, have you tried goat milk? It is easier to digest for many folks...and again, they should just be eating pasture grass.

gfp Enthusiast
I know that proteins are normally broken down by digestive enzymes then absorbed into the blood stream to be utilized for our own protein synthesis, but gluten proteins are proline and glutamine rich and have a hard time being digested. Therefore, 50 amino acid peptides are commonly absorbed into the body and can make their way into the milk supply, supposedly in small concentrations. I know for a fact that when I was breastfeeding my son my milk was making him sick. As a baby he spit up constantly and had numerous watery STINKY bowl movements each day.

Or more simply because IgA is definitively transferred in breast milk... he got your IgG about 12 weeks into the pregnancy when the placental barrier first allows blood to be transferred.

I also know that he does not have any common food allergies. Now I am putting him back on cow milk and I am a little concerned about him getting gluten through the milk. I understand that it would be a tiny amount, but my son seems to be quite sensitive to gluten.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share about gluten in milk? Does anyone know of any brand of milk that the cows are not fed gluten (I know it's a stretch)? I found an organic milk that states that their cows graze on organic pastures but I'm not sure what that means. :huh:

Thank you so much for any replies. :)

If we assume it was your antibodies, not gluten then there is no danger in cows milk (lactose/casein intolerances excluded) since cow antibodies are not the same as human ones...( even if cows produce gliadin specific antibodies. )

JennyC Enthusiast
Or more simply because IgA is definitively transferred in breast milk... he got your IgG about 12 weeks into the pregnancy when the placental barrier first allows blood to be transferred.

If we assume it was your antibodies, not gluten then there is no danger in cows milk (lactose/casein intolerances excluded) since cow antibodies are not the same as human ones...( even if cows produce gliadin specific antibodies. )

I'm confused. Are you saying that the gluten peptide in the breast milk is bound to IgA? I thought that unbound gluten fragments can make their way into milk in small amounts as they travel the bloodstream. If that's the case then how would the type of animal make a difference? :huh: If the gluten peptide is bound by a cow antibody then the bound peptide should not be able to bind to human antibodies and initiate an autoimmune response, right? I know this is a long shot, but he's very sensitive to gluten, and my breast milk did make him sick as an infant. I just want to do what is best for him.

Archived