62 replies to this topic

#16 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 07:22 PM

McDougall, welcome. Your post struck a chord with many of us as you can see! Everyone's experience can be a bit different and it DOES take time to heal, so don't get discouraged if you still have bad days.

Also, I encourage everyone with celiac disease to consider other food sensitivities. Milk, yeast, eggs, soy, and corn are among the very common problem foods. You might try a strict diet of fruts, veggies, meat, and fish for a while just to see how that goes and consider various types of testing (enterolab and/or york labs) when you can afford it.

In my own experience, my bowel symptoms went away in just THREE DAYS. But my energy level fluctuates depending how well I avoid my other problem foods. (gluten-free for 11 months now). I have osteoporosis now being treated with Actonel.

Best wishes to you!

"I have osteoporosis now being treated with Actonel."

I had alot of problems with my broken femur healing,it took over a year and was almost a non-union, the doctor said I had osteoporosis in my knee at the time (5 years ago). I was never prescribed meds for it except iron supplements. Right now as I feel better by the minute I wasn't considering going to a doctor anymore, but should I for the osteoporosis? I will look up Actonel, my bones ache pretty bad. You are all giving me the encouragment I need right now, I haven't had any hope in my life the last 6 years and now I do. So many of your words ring true. I got my cure I think I really do. 51 hours gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 granny

granny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

I have osteoporosis now being treated with Actonel.

Best wishes to you!

Yankee, Does the Actonel hurt your stomach? I was put on Fosamax and it hurt my stomach so much that I quit it. I know I need something but I still have so many problems that I dread starting the Fosamax again. I've seen the Actonel advertised and wondered about it. Thanks for any help. granny

#18 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

Before i started having the bone pain, i really didn't think of bone as HAVING the right nerves. Mine went away kinda slower than the other worst symptoms did, once i went 100% gluten-free. But it did go away for the most part.
I remember fondly the 1st time i went 8 hrs w/out thinking "can i take more advil yet". I'd spent too many days waiting for the self-imposed 4hrs-betw-advils to expire.
Right now it's probably been 10 hrs since i took 2 of them and i actually used to be on the equivalent of SIXTEEN advils a day. W/out it i'd get too stiff to move much. I'd change where and when i crossed a street to account for the inability to turn my head in a normal traffic-checking manner.
I'd guess my bone pain was 90% better in 2 mos, then slower rate of improvement.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#19 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

My 3rd day, defiantely feeling better. Alot of the feeling better is the knowledge I'm not putting poison in me anymore but things are clearly quieting down in my gut. I am sticking to very few things so far only rice, black beans, chicken eggs and a couple rum and cokes. I just had the eggs and not sure they are settling great I may cut them out also. I was thinking about the amount of pasta I used to eat, you have no idea. I used to eat 5000-7000 calories a day and most of it complex carbos like pasta and bread, lots of cereal ect...I have expiermented with my diet for years trying to find out what made me sick and never for a second considered bread/pasta, I doubt I've gone more than a handful of days in my adulthood without eating a large amount of gluten so I guess I never noticed it changed me because I was never without (oops I'm rambling here). I really need to find some protien besides beans and meat.

#20 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:55 PM

Hi McDougall,

Do you like nuts? Nuts are an excellent source of protein. The only problem with nuts is some celiacs have difficulty digesting them.

I'm glad things have improved a bit more for you today!

I know what you mean about your Rum & Coke. See, my favourite drink used to be a Bloody Caesar, with vodka, clamato juice, worchstesire sauce and tabasco sauce, and topped with celery salt. (It's a Canadian thing......) Then I found out that Clamato juice contained gluten. Believe me, I think I mourned for a month! After a hard week at work, I surely enjoyed my Saturday BBQ topped off with a Caesar...... Now all I drink is white wine....

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#21 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2004 - 08:26 PM

Hi McDougall, I have read all the entries so far on your first message. Just like allot of the others I will say it too.. Boy do you sound just I did before I was diagnosed with Celiac! I had lost 35lbs, was severely anemic, Had to get Z-shots of Iron because my system would not tolerate iron pills of any kind. I took a long time to feel a little better, but just getting rid of the pain and cramping and gas was a big relief at first. I too think you should get tested only to find out for sure as who would want to give up all the food and ajust your diet soooo much if it is not the cure.... which it sounds like it will be for you....I had a biopsy done, but I was tested in 1996 and the BloodTest was not around yet.... Oh and by the way add to Rum & Coke, Margarita's with Silver Tequila, Potatoe Based Vodka, Chopin is the Best, Cosmopolitans, Martini's, BloodyMary's... heehee, are we having fun yet? :D But don't drink alcohol if your stomach is upset.. Anyway I am very happy for you that you have found hope, I very much know where you are coming from... Take Care and let us know how you are doing.... Nancy

#22 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:15 AM

McDougall--do you like cottage cheese at all--it is a good source of protein and peanut butter--peanut butter has been a staple for me--i put it on quaker caramel corn cakes or quaker cracker jack corn cakes--just make sure you buy original not butter toffee--the butter toffee have barley in them---i like cottage cheese with applesauce stirred in or pineapple--i have stirred tuna into cottage cheese--i am not much of a meat eater--the only beef i eat is hamburger--i eat very white pork, chicken breast, and cod or halibut--and of course i eat cheese too---you're doing great :D deb----i might add--i love the updates you send us
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#23 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:46 AM

86 hours gluten-free. You guys are great, you're really helping. Peanut Butter and rice cakes are #1 on my list of things I need now. The best thing so far is the doubling over pain is all gone, I had just gotten used to having to curl up in a ball in pain once a day or so and that ain't right, all gone. Also no more runs, none. Still pretty gassy, very foggy and sore, that hint of migrane that was lately always waiting to pounce is gone. Still get the cold spells My acid in my belly is worse a bit, I switched anacids and had some hard cider though so I shoudn't complain:-) I'm a bit of a emotional wreck but in a good way, I'm happy. I know alot of my problems will take awhile to clear but I am on my way to getting better I am certian. I have a very clear feeling of not putting poison in my body anymore. I am going to be on a mission to help other poor bastards like myself, It seems very wrong that this disease isn't commonly known about. Thanks for listening to my rambling :rolleyes:

#24 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:58 AM

:lol: wonderful---i think you are doing great and it doesnt sound like your expectations are so high that you will be disappointed--thats great--i miss bread so much--sandwiches were my staple-- <_< i tried tapioca bread and it bothered me--the rice bread, i couldnt chew--i <_< threw it out for the birds and it rained for 5 days--i could see the bread was still there, so i checked it out--after 5 days of rain it was still as hard as a rock--dont want that in my tummy :angry:--so, for now i go without bread--i do buy soft taco shells and melt cheese on them--only buy the corn shells though ;) --not too bad-----deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#25 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:21 AM

Something else I just noticed, it may sound small but it isn't to me. I've haven't heard of others with this problem. Starting about 2-3 years ago brushing my teeth became a nightmare where I felt like gagging the entire time, having to stop reguraly and try again, brushing the toungue was even harder, a real pain in the butt, and every day without fail it was misery, The problem is all gone After realizing this I went and brushed again for a few minutes to make sure. This gets better and better.

#26 Guest_NancyNet_*

Guest_NancyNet_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:19 AM

As far as the rice bread is concerned..... I have found that if you put the rice bread in the Microwave for a minute or so, it will soften up nicely... you might want to try that next time.... Have a nice day.... Nancy :)

#27 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

I'd been having rice bread for years. and found i liked the EnerG brand best.
But it's not even CLOSE to how great breadmaker bread can be. Over thxgvg my sister showed me how easy it is and how great gluten-free bread CAN be.
I'm getting a breadmaker very soon. Heck maybe today - the loaf i brought w/ me on the plane back from sis's is almost gone !
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#28 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:31 PM

I'm just a hiar over 4 days gluten-free, I am in the middle of having a cold spell, I know a few people here talked about the Raynuads(sp) it makes my bones ache and shiver, my teeth clench, I get nervous and so cold, I shiver, trembel and feel weak, it doesn't last more than an hour usually and I use sweaters and blankets, and heat to stay warm (in south Florida) It comes with a horrible nassau afterwards a poisones feeling...but not this time! The sick feeling was always the worst for me the one thing I'd do anything to be rid of! I would always be so sick right now!!! I'm not at all sick, a bit weak but not at all sick! This is some good news for me...

#29 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:14 PM

I've been following your posts and it brought back a lot of memories
of starting the gluten free diet. I, too, had a lot of chills, not feeling well,
laying in a fetal position for hours at a time. My poor husband thought
I was dying, he couldn't do enough for me. Finally with his support,
cooking, and shopping I slowly started to improve. We learned the diet
together, he started a notebook and has an uncanny way of
remembering foods that made me sick. It took 9 months for all the
symptoms to go away completely except for the insomnia which I still
have. You really will get better, I had no damage to my villi, but I
had been sick for years. Keep up the good work.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#30 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 02:01 AM

Like you, McDougal, I am really new to this. I was only diagnosed last week through blood test and biopsy.

I'm finding it a challenge and also interesting to begin learning what foods affect me now. I've been (or tried to be) gluten-free for 6 days. Now that I haven't been filling myself with things that made me feel so sick all the time, I'm finding it easier to work out just what foods I am sensitive to. Thatt's an art in itself.

It seems that I am sensitive to wheat, oats, corn, barley and rice. I'm also discovering things each day which I am a bit suspicious of. Potato caused me pain today, so it has been put on my ' if in doubt, leave it out' list. B) Cabbage, brussel sprouts are definately out too. I am wondering about eggs too.

I see a dietician in a couple of weeks, but I am learning sooooo much here, with all the wonderful insite you great people have.

What do you do when you crave things you know are bad for you? I really feel like a lamington....a square of sponge cake covered with chocolate icing (which I can't eat because of migraines) and rolled in desicated (shredded) coconut. If I knew I could have it, I probably wouldn't want it! Annoying isn't it. :angry:

Anyway, hnag in there McDougal. You're an inspiration. If you can do it, so can I.

Maggie :)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: