62 replies to this topic

#46 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:52 AM

I was a silly girl this morning too. :o Yes, I know you're all shoked. I have been feeling pretty good (not great, but improving) up till now, so guess what I did???? :rolleyes:

I decided to have JUST ONE Arnott's Gingernut biscuit B) and guess that happened? Yep, I got crook straight away. Stupid me! It taught me a lesson though. I knew it was full of gluten, and did it anyway.

I made myself a baked egg custard for lunch, (trying to be a bit more careful). That made me sick too. So I guess I either have problems with eggs or milk, or both. I'm beginning to think I do have a lactose intolerance. Even when I have a cup of tea (well, I'm Aussie, we drink a fair bit of tea), I'm getting discomfort and bloating right away.

Stef, smoke, perfume, fly spray, paint...anything like that makes me really sick with migraines.
Also, I was thinking that the pain you discribes from your hip, down your leg may be sciatica. If it is, then it's not connected to coeliac.
It is caused by damage to a nerve called the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower spine (backbone), down the back of the leg, and under the foot. It is really annoying and can be very painful.
I hurt my back in a truck (semi) accident years ago, and I still get a twinge sometimes.

YankeeDB, I have horrible dreams too. I'll read a few posts here and it seems common. I take 1000mg sodium valproate to help me fall into a deeper sleep pattern, and therefore not be in the dreaming level of sleep.

I take Ginko Biloba complex for my brain. It really helps with the fogginess. ;) and I have double strength apple cider vinegar. it helps digestion and helps build up the circulation. I think it's good for a few other things too, but I can't think of what right now. <_<

I hope this helps someone. Maggie :)
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:26 AM

Thanks again for all the help...it looks like I did glutten myself, I had a small bag of planters honey roasted peanuts late Sunday night, I meant to find out what xanthan gum was but never did until I just now backtracked the things I ate. I guess this xanthan gum has gluten. The bone pain was really bad yesterday, better today, I like to hear about others who say it has gone away after a few weeks:-) I know I will still have some aches and pains as I have beat on my body some, but this is ridiculous sometimes. Hope you guys have a good day.

#48 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:39 AM

Better double check on that McDougall..... I have heard many celiacs use xanthan (sp?) gum for baking, etc. I am pretty sure it is gluten free..... I, of course, have never used it since baking is definitely NOT one of my strong points!!! LOL!

Perhaps there are only certain brands celiacs can use?

Anyone else?

Have a great day!

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#49 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:07 PM

I've seen some brands of Honey Roasted style nuts which had a bad ingred, tho i can't recall which ingred, or which brands.
The xanthan gum isn't the problem tho.

The Sep30-04 edition of the safe-list pdf i use has this for Planter's.
Planters Nuts (roasted & salted only; no "flavors" except Honey Roasted)

According to this, their Honey Roasted are fine. Hmmmmmmm.
And i can't coax an ingred list out of the Planter's site.
Grrrr wanted to see if it had a ModFdStarch or HVP or one of those common problem ingred.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#50 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:14 PM

It was "xanthan" I found to be with gluten, not "xanthan gum" maybe there is a difference? It still could have been the cheese, or just a normal setback I'm sure. My bowels are still fine. My appetite is gone completely and I have always been the type to be hungry at all times.

#51 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

That's good new Tom I really like those nuts, I was hoping to be able to still eat them and was disapointed when I thought I coudn't. I don't have a bag in front of me but the other ingrediants looked pretty basic and gluten-free.

#52 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:08 PM

It's possible there's a different temporary problem w/ the honey-roasted. It is a lot of sugar, and it seems possible to me that w/ the diet changing suddenly and the villi finally not being bombarded by more poison, the whole system is in flux and it should be expected to react differently at different stages of the process.
If i ate them right now i'd get a headache in 10-15 min which would last hrs, and it probably would contribute to nextday intestinal issues (haven't bothered to test - too busy feeling good), tho i still believe i can be fine w/ them in the future. When i started gluten-free, i'd read it could take 6 mos to 2 yrs to fully repair the villi.

And the bone pain does keep going away. Not sure where i mentioned it b4, but of the 5 or 6 worst symptoms for me, the bone pain went away slowest or maybe 2nd slowest to nausea. but the nausea is kinda a diff story cuz it was SO bad right b4 starting gluten-free, 1st it got a LOT better, then continued at a slower pace. The bone pain reduction has been steady.

Today was the day i shot some hoops again for the 1st time in forever. Surprised at how weak the arms were for longer shots, but just moving around, jumping, shooting felt fantastic.
:D
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#53 McDougall

McDougall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:22 AM

Hey Tom glad you're feeling better, me Too!!! I feel like a million bucks. My nausea is much much better, bone pain a hair better maybe, my insides feel way better! I'm sleeping about 10 hours a night, real tired, but overall about 50 times better than 9 days ago. I feel like I'm waking up from a nightmare. I think I might have a peanut allergy, had just a little peanut butter last night and it did not sit great, leaving peanuts alone for a while. I had a couple migrane episodes after eating the nuts over next 2 days (or the cheese which I am also avioding). Lots of rice and beans, I'm getting creative with them, lots of olive oil, fresh garlic, onion, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, not bad. My head is clearing up also, I feel my anxiety going away and I'm much more able to have clear thoughts and do things. I realize now how bad I had gotten the last 2 months, I wasn't far from bedridden, it came on so slow I didn't even really see it. I was living 95% of the time between my bed and bathroom for a couple months. There is no doubt the gluten party is over though, I'm getting so much better. Many thanks to all who have helped me get this far.

#54 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 08:07 AM

:D great mcdougall---so glad you feel so well---but, now that you think you need to stay away from peanuts--you probably should be careful of anything with soy in it--soy is a close relative of peanuts--just be careful--ok--i can have peanuts but have to be very careful with the soy---tuna packed in water often contains soy---read, read, read--keep up the good work------deb :D
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#55 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:52 AM

Hi McDougall!!

That sounds wonderful that you have undergone such a change in such a short period of time. You can be pretty guaranteed that you have found the source of your problems. It never ceases to amaze me how doctors continue to have blinders on when it comes to celiac disease. I wish they would wake up and make the connection to celiac when they have patients whose symptoms scream out "CLASSIC CASE OF CELIAC!!!!!" Perhaps in the not too distant future, the medical establishment will finally realize how widespread celiac is.....

You sound like you have made amazing progress... Be very diligent - gluten is hidden in the most unlikely sources.... You are doing a great job though!!!

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#56 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

Ater reading your post I see so many similarities. I'm sure we all do. I am still in the learning stage but would not mind sharing information with you. I see that you are from Pompano Beach. I live in Aventura and do not have a doctor here yet so if you find someone please let me know. I'm originally from NY and have only been here about 2 years...I have yet to find a good GI dr. The dr who find the gluten intolerance is up in NJ....I felw up to see him about a month ago out of desparation. It was right there in one of my old blood tests that I brought along. I am still trying to work out the diet and medications but I have to say that I feel better when I do NOT have gluten. I've also discovered other intolerances.
Email me anytime...
Mel
mela14@bellsouthnet
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

#57 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:49 PM

Speaking of unlikely sources, it might be good to mention again these: envelope and stamp glue and communion wafers.

#58 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 10:17 PM

.. .. . just a little peanut butter last night and it did not sit great, leaving peanuts alone for a while.

I ended up finding out the sugar in my former fav peanut butter (skippy superchunk) was giving me trouble, so now i'm putting the all-natural (peanuts, salt) pb on a big fluffy slice of breadmachine gluten-free bread. (yes i said fluffy and i MEANT IT!)

Oh and looking back at last couple months pre-gluten-free makes me think i was just plain crazy to let things get that bad. I'd see those scooter ads for the elderly and feel i'd have to use one by the time i was 44. I still can get emotional just thinking about it.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#59 Maggie1956

Maggie1956

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:57 AM

:D I'm so pleased you're doing and feeling so well McDougall. Great job!
Maggie
SUNSHINE COAST, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA

Maggie

Working towards wellness.
gluten-free (or trying to be) since December 1st 2004

positive blood test - Oct. 2004
positive biopsy -Nov. 2004

#60 mela14

mela14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 03:39 AM

Do you think it could be the peanut butter?
when I first started on the gluten-free diet (3 weeks ago) I went to a dietician and she wrote down the things that I could have and gave me a book to keep a food diary. It is the BEST thing I am doing. I have found so many food intolerances this way. Peanuts and soy are definate NO-NOs for me. When I look back in my food diary I can clearly see what I ate...the time I ate it..and the emotion I had afterwards. There is no guessing ( as I have done in the past).....maybe it's this...maybe it's that!
Yesterday I started with Almond butter. I didn't use that much because I was afraid but I think it was OK. I'll try it again today.
Still trying to figure it all out but at least I have a direction now!
Mel
mela14@optonline.net

10 years of abdominal problems, incorrectly diagnosed with Endometriosis / suffered 7 surgeries. Total hysterectomy 2 years ago!
Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Interstitial Cystitis ,IBS, Migraines, Primary Immune Deficiency to name a few. Finally realizing that food intolerances make them all worse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: