This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sick From Massage Oil-can Things Go Through The Skin?

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

hello everyone! I have been gone from the board for a while, but this place is often on my mind..

Anyways, I was thinking I should start posting again. I miss this place.

I am getting some physical therapy done for my neck and shoulders and I completely didn't think of that the massage therapist used a massage oil that I am sure wasn't safe for me. I must have gotten it on my fingers and then I opened up my water bottle and got it in my mouth that way. I got super sick with D and nausea.

What I am wondering is, if one can get sick from that stuff through the skin if one is real sensitive like me? I have heard it isn't supposed to go through the skin but things do go though the skin....so I wonder.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

I am gonna order myself some safe massage oil and bring for my next appointment to be on the safe side.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mango04 Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but I don't think an oil would contain a protein. Massage can stir up toxins in the body though, and the detox effect can make you sick.

Yenni Enthusiast

It contained peanut oil at least, and I am intolerant to all legumes (incl. Soy). It "stunk" peanut butter oil. I just didn't think of watching out about that for some reason. I am sure I got some in my mouth because the water bottle have that little thing you gotta pull up to be able to drink and I did that just after I left the place. I just got so stinking sick this time. I have been doing real well for a longer while now, so maybe I just feel the "hit" of cross-contamination harder now. The fall is bigger.

I am VERY sensitive, so maybe it was just the amount I got from my own hand that did it.

I kinda just wondered when they rub it in for so long an use a lot. It's not like the skin isn't penetrable.

Why couldn't a massage oil contain a protein? Seems is the peanut oil is there so would the protein be.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There are some of us who will react to wheat germ oil. I think you are right about having gotten it on your hands and then into your mouth. The gluten molecule can not pass through intact skin but it is absorbed through mucous membranes. More advanced countries use mucous membranes in the mouth or rectum to diagnose rather than the barbaric practice of a gluten challenge with food for the sole purpose of destroying villi thus making us very sick for a long time. Perhaps when you get your next massage you could bring in some coconut oil for it. That would be for sure gluten-free and be good for your skin and hair.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Jojoba oil would be a good one too. It's really neutral and fragrance-free.

Yenni Enthusiast

ravenwoodglass: Makes sense. Who knows what else was in that massage oil.

Gluten Free Savonnerie carries a massage oil that is among other things gluten free. I am gonna get some of that and bring in for the next time.

Otherwise jojoba oil would be a good one too.

Thanks for replies and suggestions.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jenny--welcome back! :D

I think you were right on with thinking that you got it on your hand and consequently some got into your mouth.

I'm terribly sensitive and I react to wheat germ oil, and vitamin E in lotions and things (when the E is derived from wheat). I think some of the alternative oil suggestions are good ones.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast
Hi Jenny--welcome back! :D

I think you were right on with thinking that you got it on your hand and consequently some got into your mouth.

I'm terribly sensitive and I react to wheat germ oil, and vitamin E in lotions and things (when the E is derived from wheat). I think some of the alternative oil suggestions are good ones.

:) Nice to see you!

Yeah, I have to watch out with Vitamin E too. Terrible to be so sensitive, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...
Yenni Enthusiast

Well, I brought some Jojoba oil with me last time and didn't feel a thing. :)

Archived