Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Sick From Massage Oil-can Things Go Through The Skin?

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 Yenni

Yenni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

hello everyone! I have been gone from the board for a while, but this place is often on my mind..

Anyways, I was thinking I should start posting again. I miss this place.

I am getting some physical therapy done for my neck and shoulders and I completely didn't think of that the massage therapist used a massage oil that I am sure wasn't safe for me. I must have gotten it on my fingers and then I opened up my water bottle and got it in my mouth that way. I got super sick with D and nausea.
What I am wondering is, if one can get sick from that stuff through the skin if one is real sensitive like me? I have heard it isn't supposed to go through the skin but things do go though the skin....so I wonder.
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

I am gonna order myself some safe massage oil and bring for my next appointment to be on the safe side.
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:49 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think an oil would contain a protein. Massage can stir up toxins in the body though, and the detox effect can make you sick.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#3 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

It contained peanut oil at least, and I am intolerant to all legumes (incl. Soy). It "stunk" peanut butter oil. I just didn't think of watching out about that for some reason. I am sure I got some in my mouth because the water bottle have that little thing you gotta pull up to be able to drink and I did that just after I left the place. I just got so stinking sick this time. I have been doing real well for a longer while now, so maybe I just feel the "hit" of cross-contamination harder now. The fall is bigger.
I am VERY sensitive, so maybe it was just the amount I got from my own hand that did it.

I kinda just wondered when they rub it in for so long an use a lot. It's not like the skin isn't penetrable.

Why couldn't a massage oil contain a protein? Seems is the peanut oil is there so would the protein be.
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

There are some of us who will react to wheat germ oil. I think you are right about having gotten it on your hands and then into your mouth. The gluten molecule can not pass through intact skin but it is absorbed through mucous membranes. More advanced countries use mucous membranes in the mouth or rectum to diagnose rather than the barbaric practice of a gluten challenge with food for the sole purpose of destroying villi thus making us very sick for a long time. Perhaps when you get your next massage you could bring in some coconut oil for it. That would be for sure gluten-free and be good for your skin and hair.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:59 PM

Jojoba oil would be a good one too. It's really neutral and fragrance-free.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#6 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

ravenwoodglass: Makes sense. Who knows what else was in that massage oil.

Gluten Free Savonnerie carries a massage oil that is among other things gluten free. I am gonna get some of that and bring in for the next time.
Otherwise jojoba oil would be a good one too.

Thanks for replies and suggestions.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hi Jenny--welcome back! :D

I think you were right on with thinking that you got it on your hand and consequently some got into your mouth.

I'm terribly sensitive and I react to wheat germ oil, and vitamin E in lotions and things (when the E is derived from wheat). I think some of the alternative oil suggestions are good ones.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:30 PM

Hi Jenny--welcome back! :D

I think you were right on with thinking that you got it on your hand and consequently some got into your mouth.

I'm terribly sensitive and I react to wheat germ oil, and vitamin E in lotions and things (when the E is derived from wheat). I think some of the alternative oil suggestions are good ones.

:) Nice to see you!

Yeah, I have to watch out with Vitamin E too. Terrible to be so sensitive, but oh well.

#9 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

Well, I brought some Jojoba oil with me last time and didn't feel a thing. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: