This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Christmas Eve/christmas Menus

Green12

Green12 Enthusiast

What's on everyone's Christmas Eve/Christmas/holiday menus? I am looking for new ideas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I was just going to ask the same thing!

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I am not sure this is a "new idea" but below is what I usually serve for Christmas dinner:

Ham (if it has a glaze make sure it is gluten free)

Homemade Mashed Potatoes (no gravy)

Salad - lettece and raw vegetables

Gluten Free Muffins - sometimes regular, sometimes corn

Individual Pumpkin Tarts - Pumpkin pie receipe with no crust. Cool Whip optional

Vanilla Ice Cream

This year I am going to replace the Pumpkin Tarts with Gluten Free Spice Cake.

Offthegrid Explorer

Yeah, does anybody have an idea to substitute for mashed potatoes? I know there *is* no substitute, but I can't help dreaming. Maybe something inventive with carrots?

I might try a homemade apple pie. With the crust on top and everything.

My family for some reason typically has gluten-free meatballs as well as with turkey. I might bring my own meatballs because they will be in a crock pot with tomato sauce. Homer Simpson voice, "Mmm... meatballs."

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Offthegrid,

You might consider yams in place of the mashed potatoes.

dandelionmom Enthusiast

What about smashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. Open Original Shared Link

We're serving soups and appetizers instead of Christmas eve dinner this year. Everyone is bringing their favorites. I'm bringing spicy black bean soup, white chili, hummus with veggies, and artichoke dip with corn chips.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
Yeah, does anybody have an idea to substitute for mashed potatoes? I know there *is* no substitute, but I can't help dreaming. Maybe something inventive with carrots?

Hi 'Offthegrid',

Try mashed Turnip/Rutabaga and Carrot

seasoned with a knob of butter, salt and freshly ground black pepper!!!!!

Best Regards,

David

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Offthegrid Explorer
You might consider yams in place of the mashed potatoes.

I think if you can't eat potatoes and nightshades, you can't eat any potatoes -- including sweet potatoes?

missy'smom Collaborator

How about mashed parsnips. Just about any root vegetable or combination of root vegetables would work well. Califlower is a great idea too!

For Christmas Eve I think we'll have many vegetable, shrimp and squid tempura and maybe ichigo daifuku(mochi with a whole strawberry and a little red bean paste inside) since we used to have spongecake with whipped cream and strawberries or a cheesecake.

Christmas Day Brunch maybe ham and some easy side dishes(make ahead would be ideal). Have yet to figure those out.

mamaw Community Regular

Christmas Eve at our house we have:

Ham, potato salad, marconi salad, baked beans,bacon/chesnut appetizers, sausagebread appetizers (gluten-free of course), shrimp cocktail, veggie tray,cheese tray, Italian cold salad,chips,gluten-free rolls & bread, several jello's, cookies,ice cream, egg nog,wine, punch, and mushroon casserole....in place of reg potatoes.

Here's the recipe:::

Mushroom casserole

2 cans progresso french onion soup

2 small cans mushrooms

(stems & pieces)

2 c. white rice ( not instant)

2 sticks oleo ( melted)

2 cans swanson gluten-free chicken broth

Mix all together .....bake 350 for approx 1hour & 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is asborbed but still moist....( Not runny) very easy & very popular.

enjoy.

mamaw

CarlaB Enthusiast

My grandparents lived in Florida when I was little, so they would bring fresh shrimp up from right off the boat (you can't buy it like that anymore, it now has to be frozen). They'd bring it up and our Christmas Eve dinner would be fresh boiled shrimp, cheese grits and a veggie.

To this day I make this for Christmas Eve dinner .... it's my kids' favorite dinner of the year ... I generally make it with asparagus and cole slaw (just grated cabbage and mayo).

We eat a more traditional meal on Christmas Day.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

We're having very traditional....

Turkey, stuffed with home made gluten free cornbread stuffing

Corn pudding (my stepfather is going to use my gluten free bread crumbs to make it)

mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes

I'm not sure on the green veggie this year. I'm probably going to try my hand at the traditional greenbean casserole using Progresso instead...and using Funions instead of the french fried onion rings.

Dessert is going to be a gluten free cheese cake, and some other gluten pies that someone else is baking and bringing.

:)

Green12 Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for sharing their menus, everything sounds great!

We usually do chili or stew for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we've had everything from the traditional turkey/ham dinner to really fancy with beef tenderloin to brunch.

I'm just not sure what to cook, I guess I am looking for inspiration :lol:

Keep those menus coming!

goldyjlox Contributor

I am having christmas at my house this year and it is my first gluten-free and my MIL is NOT respectful of my Celiac so I am making a gluten-free meal....and I dont care what she thinks!!! We will have turkey...(do you have to buy a special brand name?? if the ingredients dont say wheat is it alright?? and mashed potatos, veggies....all the fixing in gluten-free style. I am not going to make cookies this year as I dont know how to make gluten-free yet and I am not good with the different flours yet. but I was thinking PB cookies with cokloured m&m's, gluten-free cupcakes with coloured frosting, jello with whipped cream and butterscoth squares. Lots of wine.

I am sure it will be great!!!

confused Community Regular

christmas eve we have mexican food. I make an pot of beans so people can have frito pie or a bowl of beans and green chili or red chili. I order some posole from an restraunt here(my dad loves it). And have stuff for tacos, tostados, fajitas and burritoes. We usually have people in and out threw out the day so this stuff works out for the people that come over. The beset part of this i dont have to change my meno now that im gluten free. I will have to make lots of gluten free tortiallas or people can use corn tortiallas.

Christmas dinner here is a prime rib roast, baked potato, salad and desert. Need to start practicing on a desert lol. Thank goodness i dont have to change much on the christmas day dinner either.

we also will have an early brunch as we open presents of our breakfast bowls. which consist of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, sausage links cut up and green chili on top.

paula

lmvrbaby Newbie

I use to make stuffed peppers for CHristmas Eve and Lasagna for Christmas day. I am from a Italian background. With prices of everything we now have pizza for Christmas eve, just easier with working and everything else and I still make Lasagna for christmas dinner. If it is at my house then I have everyone bring something and I make them a dish and myself something. Always have snacks for myself cause they will have cookies. This year we are going to our nephews home. Will have to find out the menu so I can plan for myself accordingly. I don't usually carry my own food but try to eat what I can that is safe for me. <_<

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Christmas Eve:

Prime Rib with homemade horsradish sauce

Au gratin potatoes

Salad

Steamed Veggies

gluten-free rolls (usually Pamelas--add garlic or cheese or rosemary and kalamata olives...)

pie--I usually make apple, pumpkin, berry and pecan

Christmas day--too tired from the day (and night) before and the kids getting up before dawn to see what Santa brought, so I pull out 2 lasagnas from the freezer that I made the week before, toss a salad and heat up a loaf of bread!

and lots and lots and lots of coffee (with peppermint schapps for me) :D

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I am from a Italian background. With prices of everything we now have pizza for Christmas eve, just easier with working and everything else and I still make Lasagna for christmas dinner.

Hi 'lmvrbaby',

Noticed you like pizza and if you make your own then try my recipe Open Original Shared Link

and you could try my homemade Sauce Open Original Shared Link

all my recipes are on my Web Space you can access it from my profile,

maybe try a cake you even get a photo so you can see what it looks like.

Best Regards,

David

wolfie Enthusiast

Christmas Eve we do a lot of appetizers and gluten-free desserts, not so much a "sit down" dinner. We will have the following:

Buffalo Chicken Dip with celery & tortilla chips

Shrimip Cocktail

BBQ Cocktail Weinies (made in Sweet Baby Ray's sauce)

Veggie Tray with dill dip

Maybe some lunch meat roll ups with cream cheese

Cherry Pie

Various Christmas cookies (gingersnaps, russian teacakes, thumbprints and chocolate chip cookies)

Pumpkin Pie with Cool Whip

Homemade Fudge

Christmas Dinner will be at my Dad's and he is making the turkey. I am making the cornbread stuffing with Gluten Free Pantry's Cornbread mix. We had it at Thanksgiving and it was TDF.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

still not sure what i'm doing...but lots of good ideas here to get my brain going :)

Christmas Eve:

Prime Rib with homemade horsradish sauce

Au gratin potatoes

Salad

Steamed Veggies

gluten-free rolls (usually Pamelas--add garlic or cheese or rosemary and kalamata olives...)

pie--I usually make apple, pumpkin, berry and pecan

Christmas day--too tired from the day (and night) before and the kids getting up before dawn to see what Santa brought, so I pull out 2 lasagnas from the freezer that I made the week before, toss a salad and heat up a loaf of bread!

and lots and lots and lots of coffee (with peppermint schapps for me) :D

tell me how you make your rolls! i'm curious about the rosemary/olive combo!!

celiac-mommy Collaborator
still not sure what i'm doing...but lots of good ideas here to get my brain going :)

tell me how you make your rolls! i'm curious about the rosemary/olive combo!!

I make the Pamela's gluten-free 'wheat' bread mix and I just add dried rosemary to the dry ingredients and chopped kalamata olives to the wet ingredients, then mix as directed and I put them into muffin tins to rest and bake, they are soooo goooood, but I have to apologize--I'm a dumper, I don't usually measure ingredients. I'm guessing maybe 1(??) TBS rosemary and I just add enough olives until it looks right for my taste. you could also use whole garlic cloves instead of the olives--equally as tasty!!

Susanna Newbie

A starchy side, instead of mashed potatoes:

baked acorn squash

1. cut an acorn squach in half

2. scrape out seeds

3. place cut-side down in a baking dish with about 1/2 inch of water in it.

4. bake at 350 F. until fork tender

5. sprinkle on salt, pepper, butter (or vegan margarine)

6. slice into individual serving sizes and serve. Yum.

Or, baked spaghetti squash:

1. slice spaghetti squash in half.

2. scrape out seeds.

3. bake same as acorn squash.

4. scrape out the flesh with a fork--it comes out like spaghetti strands.

great with butter, or any sauce you like. A great low-carb substitute for pasta.

good luck.

Susanna

kbtoyssni Contributor

We always have cheese fondue for Christmas Eve and a replica of our Thanksgiving meal on Christmas day.

HiDee Rookie
We will have turkey...(do you have to buy a special brand name?? if the ingredients dont say wheat is it alright??

Most frozen turkeys now label that they are GLUTEN FREE. I've seen this on Country Pride and Honeysuckle brands, I think Butterball and Jennie-O label as well (but Jennie-O is a Hormel brand and it's on their gluten free list, available on their website, anyway if it isn't labeled). Hope this helps.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I know I posted it somewhere before, but I created a recipe for dressing (I guess in the US you call it stuffing??) that works out to be almost identical to regular one. It rises and everything. If I can find it again I'll post it in here. Otherwise maybe just search for it under my topics :P. I also have my own recipe for gravy but I dont really follow any measurements so it'll be hard to type that one up haha

~ Lisa ~

Archived